PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 452374

ljshooter
04-22-2009, 12:11 AM
I switched over to this boolit in 225 gr from the Lee LRN tumble lubes and it is frustrating me. I am using lee dies (LF Crimp included) on a dillon press. I find the die to "smooshing" the nose of the boolit causing problems getting a good concise OAL. Secondly when I run them through the LF Crimp it seems to increase the OAL. I never had these problems with the lee tumble lubes. Your advise is welcomed.

-LJ

runfiverun
04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
does the seating stem match the nose profile of your boolit?
the factory crimp die is squishing your boolit and case down to the small factory one size fits all diameter. when you do that it makes them longer.
also you might need to open the case a tad further to get the boolit seated straight.

ljshooter
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Does lee evan make alternate seating stems because I cannot find one. the bullets are seating straight. I used the same belling and crimp on the lee 230 gn boolits and never had this issue.

ljshooter
04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Bump.....making sure if someone knows about the seating stems.

MtGun44
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Some of them flip over, flat on one side, round on the other. Have
you pulled it apart?

Bill

ljshooter
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I am using the round nose side of the stem. I was thinking the Lyman was too pointy and may just have to deal with it. I am concerned with consistency of OAL with the crimping die.

rbwillnj
04-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Are you over crimping. After crimping, the mouth of the case should measure .469

Hafast
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I sent my seater and 4 bullets to Lee and they made a profile that fit perfectly.

sdelam
04-23-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm using the same set up, havent had any noticable issues with the nose of the bullets, The 374 punch for the lyman 450 does more damage than seating the bullets.

I did find that I had to screw the expander die all the way to the shell plate to keep from shaving the bullets when seating. even after sizing the bullets to .452

But maybe I'm doing it wrong? :-|

Randall
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Have you tried taking a piece of aluminum foil and putting it up in the seater and letting the bullet nose itself form the cavity?

bedwards
04-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I've had lead shaved from somewhere show up in the die's from time to time that total throw off all my adjustments. When this happens, you have to disassemble the die and clean it out. I think too much lube can harden there too. May not be the fix but worth a look.

geargnasher
04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I switched over to this boolit in 225 gr from the Lee LRN tumble lubes and it is frustrating me. I am using lee dies (LF Crimp included) on a dillon press. I find the die to "smooshing" the nose of the boolit causing problems getting a good concise OAL. Secondly when I run them through the LF Crimp it seems to increase the OAL. I never had these problems with the lee tumble lubes. Your advise is welcomed.

-LJ

I have this exact mould in hollow-point and have a lot of experience with it. I also use lee dies but take my advice, DON'T EVER USE A FACTORY CRIMP DIE ON THESE BOOLITS or you will have all kinds of problems. Your oal is probably increasing because the lfc die is grabbing the boolit and partially pulling it out of the case on the upstroke.

I'm assuming you are loading for .45ACP, like Sdelam said adjust the expander die until it almost touches the shellholder to get adequate flare to not damage the boolit bases, then seat them and apply just enough taper crimp to bring the case mouth out straight again, you can set the tapercrimp die to seat and "crimp" in one operation if you like and save that other station for a powder check die. There should be enough case tension to keep them seated during recoil. I have no recommendation for oal as it is different for each leade but seat mine so the boolit base is shy of the bottom of the expanded part and thus prevents the base becoming "boattailed". If you aren't running the expander deep enough you may be encountering enough resistance as the base is forced into the un-expanded portion of the case to deform you boolit noses (not to mention the bases), even with a good-fitting punch.

I have had no problems with the stock seating punch in my Lee die set, even with the hollow point "Devastator" version of this boolit which has a super-delicate nose even with hardcast bh 16. I usually use around bh 10-12 airquenched ww and shoot them unsized at .453" to keep leading to a minimum in my particular guns. I don't know what yours cast at or are sized to but I had to work my mould over for hours with abrasives to get it to cast bigger than .451" with my alloy.

Hope this helps

Gear