PDA

View Full Version : Basic PP ?? I can't find answer elsewhere

abosely
04-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Starting with a clean and smooth bore that has been previously firelaped.

Can I fire some J Boolits then switch to PP Cast Boolits then back to J Boolits and maybe even a few more PP Bullets?

Or will the accuracy go out the window or should the PP Boolits shoot as good as normal?

The rifle will be a 404 Jeffery (.423 cal.) 1-14 twist.

The J Boolits will be @ 2250-2300 fps, not exactly a high velocity round. So hopefully will not copper foul very much.

The PP Boolits (300 gn) would be @ 2250-2350 fps. The mould would be custom cut for a correct fit in this particular rifle (bore, throat ect.) and Boolits cast with appropriate hardness.

I talking about a dozen or so J Boolits not by the hundreds.

The reason for not cleaning between the J & PP Boolits is this would be in the field use, so cleaning between would not be practical. Cleaning after yes just not between.

I ask this about PP boolits, because at this MV and with any previosuly fired J Boolit foul at all Cast GC Boolits will probably not work so well from what I'm told.

Allen

pdawg_shooter
04-21-2009, 04:18 PM
For best accuracy the copper jacket fowling should be removed before you shoot PP bullets. A small amount of fowling shouldnt affect you too much bet I think it will some. Any jacketed fowling will destroy the accuracy of a naked lead bullet. The BIG advantage of PP at this velocity will being able to use a soft cast bullet, a 30/1 lead to tin. This will give you a bullet that will preform on flesh like you cant imagine!

docone31
04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Heck, I routinely switch back and forth.
I fire the jacketeds first, then clean up with paper. I have not noticed any accuracy deterioration that way. I am also considered a small bore, .30cal, and .303 British.
The paper does clean out the copper.

Digital Dan
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Not often and I'm not bragging mind you, but I have one rifle that goes both ways. Doesn't seem to care one whit so long as it's full throttle. Pure lead, pure poison.

pdawg_shooter
04-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Just a thought, why would you want to shoot jacketed? At that velocity PP will do anything jacketed will do. Soft for expansion, hard for penetration, or medium hard for the best of both worlds!