PDA

View Full Version : Boolit recycling target box

sheepdog
04-21-2009, 01:55 PM
After reading a side topic on a sticky regarding salvaging range lead I scaled down the idea of another poster to make a target that could reclaim the lead from.

Goals:

Stop and recycle 100% of boolits. Not just for lead but to know alloy consistency.
Cheap enough to pay for itself
Light enough to carry to the range
More repairable then most the ones I seen.
Use materials mostly accessible without cost

After looking at the boxes I had access to at work for free decided a box of printer paper and size small Fedex package boxes were the answer. Due to a certain department I can get gently used Fedex boxes I can reuse that normally get thrown out. Found that 9 to 10 stuffed boxes vertically fit nicely in the paper box. Boxes were filled with 1.5 bags of rubber mulch from wal-mart (roughly $10 worth of materials). Weight of the whole setup felt about 35 pounds.

Took the box to the range and tried it out with a variety of calibers. 22LR from pistol and rifle, 38/357 from a S&W 586, 40 cal from a CZ75, 45 acp from a Series 70 1911. Not a single round came through the back. All rounds stopped at the 6th box or less. If need be I might add a thin plate of steel in the back just in case but planning on sitting it on the berm anyway.

Boxes held up well, nice feature is the boxes towards the front can be replaced more often then the rear. Can use tape to keep the forward most box working a little longer but even if it "springs a leak" the box contents are fairly low. I have no shortage of used paper boxes or used fedex boxes so think this will work well for pistol (rifle not so much, but then again most rifle projectiles are light and a pain to get the lead out). Poured the contents out, most boolits looked reloadable minus the coloring from the mulch. 22LR projectiles took a beating though. 100% reclamation of lead.

Anyway hope this helps someone. If you got a rural area that you shoot in instead of a berm this might be a good solution for you. Pictures to follow soon.

ghh3rd
04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
That's a wonderful approach! I really want to move somewhere, someday, that I can do something like that. Used to shoot in MO (Knob Noster)and even in MA (outside of Chicopee) in the late 60's early 70's when I was young. I loved being able to find so many places to just pull over and shoot.

Here in the Tampa FL area, I'm pretty much stuck using whatever the ranges have, and they get to keep all of my hard found lead.

Randy

Thumbcocker
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Pictures please.

ghh3rd
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Question - how did you separate the lead, float the rubber in a pail?

sheepdog
04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
The rubber is about the size of small pebbles, so dark brown its almost black. Just pour into the paper box or a bucket and either pick the gray lead and red copper out or pan it. Refill rubber back in the small boxes. I plan on doing this about every other month (unless it gets too heavy).

Echo
04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I believe the rubber will float in a heavy brine solution, making separation easier.

sheepdog
04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1158/boxw.jpg

Heres a picture. Orange dot was added and used after testing with all the calibers mentioned.

leadman
04-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Hope the environmentalist(sp?) don't see this. They will want all the ranges to have boxes to catch the boolits.
Then we will have to start setting boxes in the woods and won't be allowed to shoot until the animal walks in front of the box!
Hey, we could set the box on the far side of a flat-bed trailer with a salt lick in front. Animal walks up, licks salt, takes a boolit, hook trailer to truck, back to camp!

sheepdog
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
100% environmentally friendly. 100% recycled goods, 100% lead stopped from the environment, 100% cash normally spent on lead in my pocket. Gosh, maybe even Jim Brady would approve... or not. :takinWiz:

vonnieglen
04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I really like the idea. I just about broke my back yesterday at the metal recycling place. All of their wheel weights were in a giant four foot high card board box. Last time I wasn't as picky and my five gallon buckets weighed only a little more than a hundred pounds. This time I carefully picked out mostly longer wheel weights and even got a few ingots of lynotype. But the box also had some battery innards and the red dust was floating around down in the box and I figured I was getting a mega dose of lead oxide. Of course I forgot my dust mask.

The buckets each weighed over a hundred and forty pounds. I was too stubborn to take any lead back out of the buckets. It was very awkward getting the buckets back out of that giant box. I had to lift my buckets up and carefully perch them in the corners of the big box. It was thick cardboard but still very precarious looking. All the way home I was thinking that there has got to be a better way. All the way home I was thinking about the best way to make some type of bullet trap. I like your solution!

JIMinPHX
04-22-2009, 02:12 AM
You might find some interesting info here -
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627