PDA

View Full Version : JPW Usage idea

Jeffery8mm
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I have been toying with the JPW in my tumble lube applications. Good results so far. Only is is a litlle messy to deal with. Here is what I came up with.
I took an empty liquid alox bottle and melted some JPW in a a double boiler. Poured it in the alox squeeze bottle. Now, when I want some JPW I just boil some water and put the LLA bottle in the water. This liquifies the JPW and I can squeeze any amount on my bullets. Others may have already done this. Works for me.
Jeff

captaint
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Jeff - that's a good idea. I've been trying the JPW myself and thinking of a way to keep it melted in the bowl for a couple of minutes. My wife has a stainless bowl about 12" dia and 6" deep. I'm thinking I could get the JPW in there by your method and keep a propane torch handy to just tickle the bottom to keep it melted for a while.

Whitespider
04-21-2009, 12:11 PM
If you look up the MSDS for JPW it has only three ingredients...

75-85% Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon Solvent (basically Mineral Spirits)
10-30% Paraffin Wax (same stuff grandma uses to can jelly and jam)
5-10% Carnauba Wax (found as a sealant for Makers Mark whiskey and cheese)

No need to heat it, you can make it as liquid/runny as you want by just adding more Mineral Spirits and storing it that way. The JPW “hardens” because the Mineral Spirits evaporate away (just like LLA), adding more will not effect it (other than making it thinner and easier to apply). You can even make your own JPW by mixing Canning Paraffin, Mineral Spirits and tossing in a bit of Cheese Wax. There is nothing magical about JPW.

Spector
04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Is there any advantage in adding parafin to carnuba, alox and solvent if you are making your own bullet lube? I have read that parafin is used to harden or stiffen lubes, but I figured the carnuba should make it hard enough.

I mixed some JPW with some alox and heated it with a hair dryer to melt it. It was not sticky once applied and that I liked.........Mike

high standard 40
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Whitespider is correct about the JPW. I also looked up the MSDS. The major ingredient is mineral spirits. Not much wax in it at all.

Hey Spider, how's the hand coming along?

Whitespider
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
high standard 40,
The hand is commin' along, thanks for askin'. Most of the blistered, dead skin has peeled away and the burns have scabbed over. I've got some tender spots that keep cracking open at the flex areas, but the hand should be pretty close to 100% in another 10-days or so. Looks as though there will be some scaring, but not any worse than others I've got on my hands.

high standard 40
04-21-2009, 08:12 PM
That's good news. Gotta take care of the hands cause it's hard to cast and shoot without them. Glad you're doing better.

Charlie............

odoh
04-22-2009, 01:21 AM
. . . . .took an empty liquid alox bottle and melted some JPW in a a double boiler. Poured it in the alox squeeze bottle. . . . . .
Jeff

Coincidently, just had a bottle of LEEs Liquid Alox split out the bottom and brown stuff went everrrryyyy where. I think, too many hot summers in the garage caused the plastic to degrade ~ what a mess!

To capitalize on the situation, I managed to capture a goodly amount of it, placing it in a small glass jar that was on the bench ~ happened so fast, didn't have a chance to plan. There was stick of javelina lube thats been in the garage for over 10yrs ~ it was shriveled up like a raisin. I just tossed the hardened glob into the bottle also and set it in the sun all day. Come evening, it was all liquid. I'll continue to work w/it and will eventually get my moneys worth out of it.

Recluse
04-22-2009, 02:08 AM
I mixed some JPW with some alox and heated it with a hair dryer to melt it. It was not sticky once applied and that I liked.........Mike

That's pretty much my standard tumble-lube concoction. I put some JPW in my pan and "cook" off the mineral spirits, then pour it (while warm--not hot) into a half-filled bottle of LLA. I add about 10% mineral spirits (seems silly, doesn't it after having cooked them out of the JPW?) just to help liquify it faster when I take the heat gun to it.

It goes to a solid when cool, but my heat gun on the lowest setting "liquifies" it right fast. I shake it up good, then heat some more, shake and heat some more until when I shake the LLA bottle, it still feels just slightly warm.

Then I put just a tiny bit on the boolits, tumble thoroughly, let dry, size, then repeat. This process has worked incredibly well for me with my TL boolits. Very little smoke, no leading, incredibly consistent accuracy, and a clean, shiny bore at the end of the shooting session.

:coffee:

captaint
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Recluse, I like your idea., going to have to try that - sounds simple enough. Last time I TL'd I uded LLA first, sized and then straight JPW for round two. Worked good shot well, no lead. Next time I'm going to try your deal. Thanks, Mike

Slow Elk 45/70
04-22-2009, 11:39 AM
If you need to keep the JPW liquid longer in a container, metal of course, I like to use my Hot Plate that I use to warm my molds. It works just fine and can be adjusted for heat.
Works for me..... Good luck