PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Shortage!

sav300
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Well,The USA ammo shortage made the local news here.(NBNTV) Showed a few shops with empty shelves and some ammo makers cranking out ammo.:(

Maybe it may hit here too.In the way of components.Have heard that Tiapan bullet maker in Queensland has closed down.Bummer.
Lionel:castmine:

Cherokee
04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
if you wanted to pay the price, there was plenty of factory ammo at the local gun show this weekend. Only primers I saw were shotgun.

Tom Herman
04-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Other than .22 LR....
I'm seeing a definite lack of .22's and other ammo around here.
I've been reloading for decades, but the cost and availability of bullets pushed me into casting last year.
Hopefully, my stockpile of primers and powder will last until their availability comes back.
Good Luck with ammo availability in your neck of the woods! I hope your supply returns to normal soon.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

shdwlkr
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
In my area this is ammo if you want to pay through the nose for it and some reloading supplies. No primers though and most of the bullets available are not for the most used firearms unless you shoot a 40 caliber.
My firearms place hopes to have stuff by the time august gets here.

auzzie101
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I listed an ad on craigslist wanting to swap pistol primers for rifle primers. I've gotten alot of replies from people that have no primers and want to trade for other things. I'd like to help some of them out but, I just can't deplete what I have. There is no telling how long this will go on for, my guess is that the uncertain economy is driving this and until things start looking up we will continue to see shortages.

runfiverun
04-21-2009, 06:34 PM
our local/state paper has an article in it today blaming the nra for the ammo shortage.

Shiloh
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
How did your paper say the NRA was respnsible for the ammo shortage. As far as most of the gunboards say, the "Messiah" is responsible. He is also gun salesman of the year.

SHiloh

FN in MT
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Attended the Reno Show this past weekend. Theres a large ammo dealer there each show and he was swamped. Heard from a good source that this guy GROSSED over $1,200,000.00 on Friday alone!! He was even busier on Saturday! He had WW primers for $34 per K. His ammo prices were far from a bargain but considering the hysteria....they were fair.

There was a crook with primers on his table for $80 per 1,000 !!! And they were selling. Nice way to screw your fellow man.

Someone else had OLD fifty rd boxes of .22 RF on his table for $6 each. And they were selling.

Another guy had 500 packs of various Sierra Matchking bullets for roughly $30+ per 100. I can still find MK's for WELL under $25 at a few dealers here in MT. Paid $22 per C for 168 gr .30 's a few weeks ago.

I know there is the POTENTIAL for some restrictive gun or POSSIBLY ammo regulations considering the current Administration. But this ridiculous buying spree is simply foolish.

Reminds me of guys buying magazines back in 1994 when the Clinton AWB became law. Saw guys buying Glock pistol mags or especially AR mags for WELL OVER $100 per mag. This was 1994 dollars too.

I often wonder how these guys felt years later when they could buy three or FOUR similar mags for the same $100?

I just don't understand the hording. I guess none of them saw the Demo's coming to power a year ago? Or thought to stock up the day after the election?

FN in MT

runfiverun
04-21-2009, 08:39 PM
the nra tends to foster these type of things, it bolsters their membership/donations.
like they say, business is good .it must be even better than the last go round, as now we have wolf and magtech along with the usual providers we had the last time.
and still no primers/powder. i guess the "little cuts" bill got in there are now showing themselves.

BIGGUNGOBOOM
04-22-2009, 03:43 AM
I also attended the Reno show this last weekend and it was ridiculous as always. FN in MT is right, these guys were selling primers and bullets at un-heard of prices. It was ridiculous. there were some deals to be found. The ammo place that he is talking about is MI-Wall. they have been coming to the show for years. there was a line at their booth Saturday morning that was out of site. about 300 - 400 feet long and everyone in it had attitude to boot. I was trying to Squeeze by "not easy-6'3 300 lbs" and some guy got in my face about cutting in line !!! I told him I was just trying to get to the other aisle but he got even worse. they were out of 7.62x39 by 10:00 and they opened at 9:00 !!!! kinda makes me glad that I bought all my stuff years ago. I was still looking for small and large pistol primers, but at those cost's forget it Ill wait till they come down.

the only deals out there were on older guns, but they were far and few between. I saw a M1 Garand that had a CMP letter with it, there was another letter with it that said RARE, hard to find.... blah blah blah 1,500 $..... and I swear that it was a Field grade.

anyways that is all

cajun shooter
04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
It's not some stange group of people that has caused this problem; it's the very people who are on and reading this forum. I thought that the crazy prices and people would be gone by now, but no such luck! Later David

Tom Herman
04-22-2009, 09:30 AM
It's not some stange group of people that has caused this problem; it's the very people who are on and reading this forum. I thought that the crazy prices and people would be gone by now, but no such luck! Later David

I bought what I have now before this insanity started...

rhead
04-22-2009, 09:51 AM

If everyone would just quit buying supplies when they found them then you could find what you wanted with no trouble?

I started stocking up in 76 when I realizedthat there were enough idiots in this country to elect someone like Carter. Since 2006 I have purchased 2 pounds of powder and a few different brands of .22 pellets for myself and a few things for friends. I am sorry that some others failed to see this coming but I fail to understand how they managed to not see it.

wildwilly
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I bought what I have now before this insanity started...[/QUOTE]

+1...Sensing the political mood of the country, I reluctantly purchased more powder and primers than I usually ordered annually. I'm glad I did.

A shooting acquaintance inquired about selling him some primers, as he got caught short. But he became irritated when I offered to sell him a box of 1K primers for $30, not what I bought them for, but what I thought my replacement cost would be at a later date. He grudgingly bought them from me. But, around these parts, you're considered "pinchey" if you're tight with your funds.

oldhickory
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I've had most of my stuff for years also. It started in the 70s also with a can of Ball-Cal .30 M1 in clips. I even have some Alcan primers left!:mrgreen:

FN in MT
04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I agree 110% with the previous poster... "I am sorry that some others failed to see this coming but I fail to understand HOW they managed to NOT see it".

My stockpile of components and loaded ammo seldom falls below a certain level; basically what I can shoot in a year. That way if I can't reload one winter, I'm still good for that summers varmint shooting , some plinking and hunting season.

Can NOT for the life of me understand the folks who didn't see this mess coming. I can understand the twenty somethings who were kids during the 1994 Clinton AWB years.
But anyone over thirty or forty should have been prepared!

Take a look at GunBroker.com guys there are buying a THOUSAND primers for WELL OVER $100 now. With 5K packs going for $350+. Reminds me of the people during the Clinton AWB years buying $20 AR mags for $100+ ..... simply stupid.

And I doubt this is going to get better in the near future.

BIGGUNGOBOOM.....The couple of dealers who were against the wall with the Ammo Guy.......Man but those guys were pissed over the ammo lines. No one could even get through to see their wares.

Then throw in the idiots banging you in the ankles with pushcarts full of ammo! Sent an e mail to the show producer urging him to do something about the set up. And to maybe require the guys with carts and handtrucks full of ammo to IMMEDIATELY leave the show, or have a dedicated EXIT for them.

In five years of attending this was the most uncomfortable, overcrowded yet. And the FIRST show where one of us didn't come home with a decent S&W revolver or Win rifle. Thankfully I found a beautiful GI M-14 stock with all hdwe for a mere $75. EXACTLY what I was looking for too.

FN in MT

trickyasafox
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
man I hope i have enough stuff to weather the storm. it'll be small pistol primers that get me. you do the best you can to stock up, but sometimes everyone gets caught short. I should be good for about another year- after that I'll be hunting.

shdwlkr
04-22-2009, 05:55 PM
If you think it is bad now read this and tell me what the future might be like
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=95733