PDA

View Full Version : How do you catch primers on an AA

dolang1
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I do most of my reloading on a a Lyman All American and a Tru-line Jr.. I did all of my depriming on a Lee single stage because of the way it kept the primers off of my floor. I deprimed with my AA and tried to catch them in a trash can, by hand, and in a plastic bag that I had rubberbanded to the loader. I think I was catching about 20%. Now that I've tracked primers into my wife's kitchen. I'm ready to hear how the rest of the world does it. Any suggestions? Later Don

jhrosier
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Don,
Here is how I do it with the AA.
Right hand:
Pick up a case and place it in the shellholder.
Raise the ram until the case touches the die.

left hand:
Pick up a new primer and place it on the punch
Turn my hand over and catch the old primer as I size the case with the right hand.
Throw the old primer into a box that I keep near the press.

I've been doing it this way for so long that it is almost automatic.
I never touch a case with my left hand because that is the one that I use to pick up the primers.

I can load about 100 rounds per hour with the AA without rushing anything.

I find that if I drop a fired primer, it will usually fall into my shoe.
New primers tend to fall into a box with 2000 fired cases when dropped.:roll:
You would think that after the first dozen times I would move the box of brass.

Jack

shotman
04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
get you the wifes panty hose [or yours LOL] and rubber {band} and put around the shell holder part . take a razor and cut a very small slit where the primer punch is . That will work if you need to deprime and reprime and load. If you do all the deprime dont cut the slit[like that word] One other thing if you take the primer punch out for ease. Take a piece of tape and put over the hole. Primers are hard to get out of the hole. I did find a way[by not removing press] a cocktail straw and cut about 1/2in 2 ways ,makes a "finger" pick up

HeavyMetal
04-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Because I reload out on the back pourch during good weather, I have never had to worry about spent primers. I just sweep the area when done and I'm good.

Currently have an AA in route and am playing with a moblity type set up with one of my tru lines guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to figure out how to deal with old primers.

If I figure out something I'll post but shotmans hose bag has potential.

rbuck351
04-21-2009, 04:14 AM
I use a broom and a dust pan to sweep them off the concrete floor. And for those that fall into the primer shaft hole when its not in place, the air compressor and air nozzel gets them out right now. Crude but effective. I have used the catch them my hand method when I'm in a neatness mood and that does work.

grumman581
04-21-2009, 08:39 AM
I use a broom and a dust pan to sweep them off the concrete floor. And for those that fall into the primer shaft hole when its not in place, the air compressor and air nozzel gets them out right now. Crude but effective. I have used the catch them my hand method when I'm in a neatness mood and that does work.

It's interesting how a concrete floor solves a lot of problems around the home... :)

And a sealed concrete floor even solves more problems...

If you wife doesn't like the idea of a room in the house having a concrete floor, just put travertine stone down there instead... It's fairly cheap ($1.69 per sq-ft when I bought mine a few weeks ago) and not all that difficult to install yourself...

1hole
04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Yup, just as the others , the only catcher that works with my RC II is the floor. That works where nothing else will! If only I could find someone to buy it I'd get a Lee Classic Cast, it's stronger and actually drops spent caps into a plastic tube.

grumman581
04-21-2009, 09:47 AM
When I was first starting out (i.e. before I had my press and dies), I was loading wax bullets by hand. When depriming them, I just used a small punch and hammer. I had a small chunk of 2x4 drilled out enough to hold the cartridges, but also with a hole large enough that the primers could fall through to the table. I cut a 1x2 and put it along the bottom of each end so that the entire unit would sit far enough over the table that the spent primers had a place to collect. Every so often, I would take my hand and sweep the primers that had collected into a bucket. Sometimes I would even mix the primers in with some of the wax and make bullets out of them.

Mike W1
04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't use my AA much anymore but when I do I had a small metal box with a small rod attached to the bottom of it that went in where the priming punch went. A little sawdust for a cushion and it pretty well caught them all. I never care for the priming system and use a Lee AutoPrime II for that operation. Mine's set up for 38/357's which I rarely shoot anymore. If I ever start again in quantity I'll just get another Dillon SDB. I just liked the press because I could set the dies once and forget about doing it again and other than the priming system was quite happy with it.

dolang1
04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Shotman, That was the ticket. I zip tied a knee- hi panty hose to the bottom of the shell holder area. At first I didn't think it was working because I couldn't hear the primers, but then I saw them all collected in the toe. I don't think anyone saw the celebratory victory dance. Thanks to everybody that answered. Later Don

shotman
04-27-2009, 01:15 AM
If you have ever used a RCBS heavy duty deprimer for the crimped primers you will find something that will work. You cant catch them in you hand. I have seen them 30 ft away.I aways deprime and then clean the brass so punch is not in the way for me

dakotashooter2
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I have 2 single stage RCBS presses whith trays on them and still lose 1/2 the primers. I finally put a shield on the front of one tray but still have a few bounce out. I have considered rigging up something to connect a shop vac hose next to the discharge to see if that would work.

shotman
04-29-2009, 01:42 AM
the panty/knee hose was the only thing that I could find that will work with the HD deprime die. The pin is spring loaded and when primer is released it is like a BB gun. They sting when they hit you in the face . They will shoot between your fingers too I used to have the AA press mounted in a den that was in a room across the basement from the landry room and would fine primers in there

BruceB
04-29-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm a left-hander, too.

Using the All-American, I load each case completely once it's placed in the shell-holder. The primers are in a tray to my right, and bullets and cases are to my left. I place a case in the press and a new primer in the priming post. I then catch the expelled primer in my open left hand, and just drop it into the LARGE (40-gallon?) trash barrel immediately in front of me under the bench. Easy target!

Very few primers ever escape.

On the Rockchucker, once again it's my hand that stops the primers at the bottom of the ram slot. A finger across the bottom of the slot reliably stops primers from bouncing out of the press.

All it takes is a slight modification in one's routine....no add-ons or jury-rigs needed.

(And, NO, I don't normally bother with cleaning primer pockets except on cases fired with blackpowder.)