PDA

View Full Version : What 30/30 expander and crimp dies to get?

higgins
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I've been a pistol bullet caster for many years, but now I'm ready for my first foray into casting for a rifle. I recently acquired a 336RC with Ballard rifling that shines like new money, with a like-new muzzle. I already have RCBS standard .30/30 dies. I've already searched a lot of threads for bullet recommendations, but I have the following die questions:

Will the standard RCBS crimp die work okay with cast, or do I need to get a taper crimp die or the Lee factory crimp die?

What expanding die has worked well for you? Lyman M die? RCBS expander die? Something else? Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry Gibson
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
The RCBS crimp die will work fine.

I recommend the Lyman M die. It not only flairs the case mouth but expands the insde of the neck to the right diameter. For cast bullets to .310 I ecommend the .30 M die. For .311 or larger or for cast bullets of .311+ or cast of soft alloy for hunting I recommend the .31 M die.

Larry Gibson

jh45gun
04-21-2009, 01:03 AM
The Lee stuff does work good as well

shotman
04-21-2009, 01:14 AM
you will be fine with the RCBS the ballard will take care of the rest. I would try a light cast load on an unsized boolit and see if it works good The one I had was about .309 It didnt do to bad with jackets but 1 1/2 at 100yds was not my fancy

Throwback
04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
+1 on Larry's advice on the M dies. Your RCBS crimp die should work fine for you. Making sure your cases are trimmed to the same length applies here. I do use the Lee Factory Crimp die on the .30-30 and .35 Remimgton but it is not needed. I changed because I did not like the crimp I was getting on my .30-30 loads (lopsided) and also so that I could use jacketed bullets that lacked a crimp groove. It has proven to be a very good product.

jimkim
04-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Get the Lee factory crimp die. If there is no crimp groove you will make your own. I have a friend that seats his bullets to the most accurate distance(I'm not that anal, I'm also not a former state champion) from the rifling with the Lee factory crimp. It doesn't matter if there is a groove there or not. To me that is a big plus.

corvette8n
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Don't forget the Ranch Dog 6 cavity 30 cal mold