PDA

View Full Version : Mold Prices on Evil Bay - Part of the "Panic"

archmaker
04-20-2009, 05:26 AM
I was watching a mold, a 6-cavity lee mold used with handles.

It was for the 9mm and is offered standard new for $39 for the mold + $12 for the handles, however they are both on backorder.

The one I was watching went for $100. A similar setup just two weeks ago went for $70 and that was for 45ACP TL 6-cavity mold with handles.

I need a set of handles but not that bad! :)

For the money that I am seeing on other casting related items, I am thinking a custom mold will cost me just as much from Mountain Molds as getting a used RCBS mold for my 270.

mtnman31
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Seeing some of the going prices for molds on fleaBay lately has me debating on selling some of my molds. I could sell some of my molds (current production) for more than they cost new, then when the craze slows things down, I can take the profits from that and buy those same molds and some new ones to boot.[smilie=1:

I am routinely seeing currently produced molds selling for more than retail. I find it mildly amusing that people just have to have it right now and are willing to pay more than what it costs. I figure if I need a mold and it isn't available, I'll backorder it and pay what its worth. Until I get the mold, I'll just have to play with the molds I already have.

Patience is a virture too many shoppers don't have.

What does frustrate me about this increase in prices is that it definitley makes it more costly to get some of the molds that are no longer produced. Personally, I don't collect molds to have them, I collect them to produce bullets that work for me. If there is a discontinued mold out there for sale, I am not even going to consider it once the price approaches the same level that a custom mold is going to cost. Collectors are more than wlecome to pay the price for a mold that may or may not cast useable bullets. I'd just as soon pay a bit more for a custom mold and know that it will be what I want. Buying a mold from an auction site is really a crap shoot. You never know if it is going to cast way under size or what other issues the mold may have. Half of the sellers out there are casters who have a mold that doesn't work worth a hoot and they pawn it off on someone else. Those lines like "I don't cast so I don't know anything about this stuff" make a seller suspect. That tells me they don't want someone to ask them the important questions, like "what is the as cast diameter" or "is it a square groove or round groove".

Having said all that, 3/4 of my molds were acquired on fleaBay. I've gotten mostly winners on there with just a few junkers. So far only two that were not salvageable. So, if you see me selling a 457483 SC mold, you might want to ask me, "Is the gas check shank too big for any gas checks to fit?". In reply I'll just have to plead ignorant and say, "Heck, I dunno, I don't even own any guns let alone cast bullets. But this mold is RARE and VINTAGE, so it's worth a lot of money...":kidding:

Seruiously, be patient and you'll come across good deals for molds on the auction sites. It is always preferable to do a face to face deal at a gunshow where you can closely inspect the mold (and haggle) or better yet to get the mold from fellow casters who you know personally, can trust and are not out to dupe you.

oldhickory
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I went there Saturday evening, but not for long. The used molds are more than a new one sells for!:-(

I have some new LEE molds on order from MidSouth...I'll wait.

jimkim
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
There were a few good deals this weekend. I put in a small(very small) bid on a two cavity Lachmiller 429 250 SWC mould. I am convinced if I had tried to actively bid for it it would have sold for a lot more than the $25.00(plus $8.94 shipping) for which it sold.

dakotashooter2
04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I noticed it too. Heck if I'm gonna spend the kind of money they are getting for used moulds I'm gonna chip in another $20 and just get a custom mold.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
+ 1 on all the above, I watch flea-bay for molds all the time, I don't buy many, that's for sure.
Why buy a mold used for more money than it cost new?

I look for old and out of production molds that I want to cast with, whoever is buying this stuff is stocking up on a lot of things that can be bought now, at a dealer or from the MFG. Look around , you can find them.
Some are back ordered, but not all. Lyman and RCBS mold handles going for more than new everyday.

I like to think this will change, maybe not , who can tell, if you have molds you don't use, now is the time to make some cash, on flea-bay!!! IMHO

uncle joe
04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree with what has been said so far, but I think we are all missing out on free money. We should not only sell all our molds we don't like or use anymore, but we should buy two new ones and sell one of them on e-bay. After all I'm sure all the old molds we have and don't want are VINTAGE or RARE. I say if they want to spend the money why shouldn't we give them what they want.
UJ

EDK
04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
There were a few good deals this weekend. I put in a small(very small) bid on a two cavity Lachmiller 429 250 SWC mould. I am convinced if I had tried to actively bid for it it would have sold for a lot more than the $25.00(plus $8.94 shipping) for which it sold.

You were $5 short of owning it. I'll let you know what I think of it. Anything else you're interested in? (Still looking for a RCBS 82044...250 Keith Thompson.)

I bid a lot of moulds, but pretty much have the guideline of half the retail price UNLESS I really want it badly. The guys who bid the original LYMAN 429640 to $175 are way out of my league.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

jimkim
04-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Hahahaha I'm glad one of us bought it. I'm with you. I have a limit, I would have gone higher, but I already have a Lyman 429421 and decided I needed to wait until I found a 311291 or another good thirty caliber mould for my 308. Do you know the guy that bought the 44 wcf Lee(not really) mould. I also thought my money might be better spent on primers.
http://i6.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/3e/de/6320_1.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BQo82FQBGk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLluysEBJ57gV6GPw~~_1.JPG
It sold for $22.50. I sent the seller message and tried to tell him it wasn't a Lee. I told him it was an antique. He assured me it was new. Oh well. Somebady got a nice(IMHO) mould for a great price. Now that I know one of the cast Booliteers is bidding I will be more apt to back off. Jim

Slow Elk 45/70
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Some people can't be helped.....good for the buyer. I read what you told the seller, before the item was auctioned. Nice of you to try to "enlighten " him.

jimkim
04-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I still feel a little bad for him, but what cha' gonna' do? Did you see the two cavity 370 416 GC mould? I have been trying to figure out what brand it is.

Heavy lead
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
One sure fire way for ebay prices to come down is for me to sell moulds there. Hell, I'd be lucky to get a dime, never have been lucky selling my stuff. Ebay can keep their crap, GB can keep their primers. I'll buy a flintlock and beat lead into shape on an anvil b-4 I'll get screwed by them.
And no I don't blame the sellers. It's the ebay marketing system: designed for panic.

auzzie101
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
It's crazy. I sold some things last weekend one of which was the 8mm maximum from midsouth. That thing has been on backorder for ever it seems. I paid 17 and change for it and it sold for 61.00. Absolutely ridiculous prices right now.

Shiloh
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Every one is cashing in on the shortage of many things firearms related.
If folks are willing to bid that much money for molds, let them. As stated previously,
use of the enhancement terms like RARE and VINTAGE to puff the wares, make folks seem like they are getting something terribly unique. No, just overpriced.

Shiloh

jimkim
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
So which one of you bought the single cavity 358429 for $20.53?

ddeaton
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I have to admit, I bid $200 on the new HG50 the other day. It went for $255. I use my same name on there guys. I havent got anything yet but a couple round ball molds, all is too high.

rockrat
04-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Makes me wonder what my RARE 4 cav 429421 would go for!!!!!

shotman
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
a 348 mold just sold for $147 and its not for a model 71 [Iwouldnt use it in a tube mag}

Marine Sgt 2111
04-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I just bought a "new" SAECO mold, 195grain .30 on Ebay. When I got the mold I wrote to the seller to ask why it wasn't a "new" mold and he told me it was a "new old stock" mold. I reminded him his add did not reflect "new old" and he said "sorry". I mentioned that the mold flashes (I cast at 700 degrees with a 92-2-6/pure lead mix) and he said that I have had the mold long enough to cast all of the bullets I will ever need (9 days) and that I have over heated and warped the mold.

The seller is a dishonest ass, I have called him on it and made a paypal claim against him. He has changed his story three times. Has anyone had any experience with Paypal Claims?:shock:

Oh and I just saw a box of 1000 .22 gas checks going for $30.95....just crazy

HeavyMetal
04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
E bay is a sellers market!

The one thing that has not been mentioned is the market e bay has: the world!

For awhile I was amazed ( still am) at the price's molds were bringing. Then it dawned on me that many buyers are out of the country and simply can not get this stuff as easily as we can!

I suspect thesre are the "guys" that are "driving" prices. It's not because they're stupid, it's because they have no choice ( or freedoms) to do those thinge we take for granted.

I have noticed that those items that make sure to mention no out of country sales don't seem to bid out as high and I've also seen items bid higgh re listed a week later. I suspect because it was to hard to ship the item to the high bidder because of legal / import regs.

As long as people have special needs, and money, they'll pay what they think is a fair price to own what they want!

Capitilism at it's finest! We may not like it but the second choice is much worse!

Slow Elk 45/70
04-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Marine SGT, I had a problem with a seller a couple of years ago, he was a jerk, and I guess he thought everyone is a stupid as he was. I leveled a really negative feed back on his butt and called for a "Moderator" , that is your best chance for gaining some satisfaction.

After the deal is given to a moderator, they will contact you and you can tell them what the problems are and what you want to settle the dispute. They will work both parties and try for a solution, short of you killing the S.O.B. .

Mine worked out , I removed the negative feed back as my part of the negotiations and the "other" party kept his junk.

Semper Fi, S.L.

Marine Sgt 2111
04-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Well Slow Elk, the good guys won out again. Paypal only took just two days and found in my favor for a complete refund.:drinks:

Slow Elk 45/70
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Marine Sgt. , Good for you, sometimes the good guys do win. Semper Fi, Jim

PatMarlin
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
That's the good thing with PayPal.

PayPal is good for honest buyers and honest sellers, and bad for liars.

klcarroll
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
......PayPal is good for honest buyers and honest sellers, and bad for liars.

That has been my experience.:)

Kent

archmaker
05-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I was shocked on a winning a price for a used lee 6-cavity with handles $142.50.

BarryinIN
05-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I just wonder who is buying this stuff? I am brand new to casting (don't even have my stuff yet) and even I know better.

It seems to me that everybody I've run into (both over the years and recently) who is looking into getting started is trying to find the cheapest way to do it and they shop around. Sometimes for years.
So I don't think it's new people. Maybe a few, but not enough to account for it all.

I can see the old discontinued moulds bringing more. But thats not the only thing I'm seeing go for silly prices on there.

I can also sort of understand a slight premium if something is in short supply. A slight premium. Not to the degree I'm seeing.
Besides, when I've been looking for something and a place was out of stock, another place would have it in most cases. It just takes a couple more minutes of looking...less effort than watching and bidding on something over a few days.

I don't understand it. With the internet, shopping around is as simple as a couple of mouse clicks. Anyone who has the computer skills to negotiate eBay surely has the computer skills to find a source for casting stuff.
And for those who don't, it also seems to me that anyone who is wanting to start casting has been shooting for a while and they probably have a stack of catalogs from Midway, Graf and Sons, Natchez, etc, and should know what they can buy the stuff for.

Sorry. Just the observations and thoughts of a new guy who has been shopping around lately.

PatMarlin
05-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Could it now be that the average American Joe Blow is dumber? ...:mrgreen:

BarryinIN
05-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, I once thought there would be no way the majority of voters would do what they did recently, so yeah, that's a possibility!