PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W mold question

bbs70
04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
I have a Lone Wolf barrel on the way for my 40 cal Glock model 22.
I'm looking at the Lee 90256 tc 175 g mold, but everyone is back ordered on them.:(
I was also looking at a Lyman 175 g mold (Number escapes me at the present).
The two boolits look identical except the Lyman is a bevel base boolit.
Would the bevel base affect accuracy?
Anyone here have any experience with these two molds?
Pros and cons of each.
I have Lee and Lyman molds for my 45 colt, both plain base.
I know about the weight difference of the molds and etc.

What I really would like to know is which mold would make a good accurate boolit.

Trey45
04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I use the Lee 401-145-SWC mould, it's supposed to be a 145gr boolit, mine drop at 155gr. I really like the mould, and the boolit, no complaints here. If all I'm doing is punching holes in paper I don't want to "waste" that extra lead with a heavier boolit.

bbs70
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I've shot lighter jacketed bullets in the Glock before and they don't seem to be as accurate as the 180 g jacketed bullets.
But then I was shooting with the factory barrel, maybe the Lone Wolf barrel will be different.

fredj338
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Typically, I find a plain base bullet slightly more accurate & less prone to leadung than a bevel base. I have a TCFP Magma mold that is sim. to the Lee & A Lyman RNFP (for the 38-40) that is my fav. 40/10mm mold.

captain-03
04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I also have a Glock M22 with an extra Lone Wolf barrel. I use the Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 401-175-TC 40 S&W (401 Diameter) 175 Grain Truncated Cone. I really like it; however I do run the bullets through my RCBS sizer to 401. All I would suggest is that you get a separate taper crimp die; either LEE or Lyman works for me. In the beginning, I had a lot of problems with the cast sized bullet fully chambering when using the Lone Wolf barrel .... the separate taper crimp die did the trick. I shot a couple hundred a couple days ago without a single malfunction - I am pleased!!

arcticbreeze
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Lee may claim it is a plain base but it is not. It has a bevel. I have both the Lyman and the Lee. The Lee's bevel is smaller but it is there. I am currently sending my Lyman 4 cavity to Buckshot to have him remove the bevel base.

superior
04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
The lee TL 401-175-swc works for me in the G23 shot as cast, tumbled in lithium grease and parrafin 50/50. Very accurate with HP-6 powder. I've fired over 900 cast rounds through it with no leading or malfunctions. I'll have to check my books at home but I think I use 6.8 grains.

ghh3rd
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
The lee TL 401-175-swc works for me in the G23 shot as cast, tumbled in lithium grease and parrafin 50/50. Very accurate with HP-6 powder. I've fired over 900 cast rounds through it with no leading or malfunctions. I'll have to check my books at home but I think I use 6.8 grains.

I have that mold. I used straight WW for my boolits and Lee Alox to tumble lube them. I did get some leading.

What kind of lithium grease is that, the white grease in a tube? How do you blend the wax and grease, and is it thin enough to tumble lube? Does it harden enough to handle the boolits without it coming off on your hands?

Questions, questions, questions... (don't mean to hijack the thread)

Randy

truckmsl
04-23-2009, 02:28 PM

I shoot this boolit through my G23 with Lone Wolf barrel. I had to go to .402 (think beagle) to stop all leading. Lone Wolf opened up the throat just a tad for the fatter slug. Accuracy is great. leading zero.

superior
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes it is the white grease in the greasegun. I melt it on the stove for about 20 min (when the wife's not around). Before it solidifies upon cooling, I tumble lube with warm boolits. If I let it dry and cool completely, it hardens for a good pan lube on my 303Brit boolits. I've never had leading in pistol or rifle. I push the brits up to 2000fps. I also use LLA with the same results.
My homemade lube is cheaper but a little smoky. I kinda like the smoke anyway. For the 40sw velocities, any method of lubing seems to work with the lithium/parrafin blend. And yes, it hardens nicely. More grease will soften it, more wax will harden it.

bbs70
04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Well I went and did it.
I found and ordered the Lee 90256 mold from Lock Stock and Barrel on monday.(Nice people)
It came in today.
Of course I had to try it out right away, just to make sure the mold was good.[smilie=1:
Boolits look great, hope they shoot as good as they look.
The mold does have a slight bevel on the base, but I can live with that.

Now all I gotta do is wait for the Lone Wolf barrel to get here.

Learned a less on the barrel.
Just because the online store says its in stock, doesn't necessarily mean it is.:roll:

snaggdit
04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I use the Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 401-175-TC 40 S&W (401 Diameter) 175 Grain Truncated Cone. I really like it; however I do run the bullets through my RCBS sizer to 401.

This was my first mold. Still one of my favorites. I have shot thousands of these downrange. Mine drop at .4025 to .403 and 179gr with WW and my barrel slugged at .401 so I use as cast. It does have a slight bevel base on it, though. Accuracy is good, but have no other close size .401 boolit to compare to. It is as accurate as jacketed HP in the same weight range.