PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on TC Contender

Tokarev
04-19-2009, 09:51 AM
These things are not clear for me: do the barrels from Contender pistol fit the receiver of Contender rifle and the same about their ML and shotgun barrels.

Will I be able to use the same receiver with all those barrels?

BCB
04-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Contender barrels fit Contender frames of the same steel color! That is, stainless barrels don’t fit blued frames and vice versa…

The Contender becomes a rifle by simply using another stock (replaces handgrip on handgun) and another forearm to accommodate the rifle barrel length…

But, the Contender is only available in certain cartridges as pressure is the eliminating factor for some rounds…

To get these high pressure cartridges, you must go to the Encore and those parts don’t hook to the Contender frames…

Shotguns and Muzzle loaders will need be addressed by someone else as I have been strictly a Contender handgun person…

Good-luck…BCB

lathesmith
04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Hmm, I use SS barrels all the time on my blue frame, and vice-versa. You may be thinking of those Armor Alloy II frames not being interchangable, but they haven't made those for many years. I love my T/C's, both Encores and Contenders; my new slogan is "conserve ammo--get a single-shot!"
lathesmith

BCB
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
lathesmite is correct concerning the Armor Alloy II barrels--my mistake...BCB

Tokarev
04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/images/silos/8750.jpg

My question was rather about using one 'all goes' frame with any bbl, which I need for testing the bullits I cast. From the pictures at TC arms it was not immediately clear if all bbls were interchangeable.

Another point of confusion for me is that TC does not specify rate of twist, which is kind of important. Gotta give them a call.

HeavyMetal
04-19-2009, 03:13 PM
A bit of advice; Buy a Contender Pistol and make sure the frame actually started life as a pistol!

In a lot of states this isn't an issue but here in Commiefornia if they find you with a rifle frame with a pistol barrel on it, hand gun grip or not, they'll pop you for a NFA short barreled rifle!

So check your local Laws before you purchase. As for for a one gun does all things? The Contender is the best out there. From what I gather your looking to do custom loading / testing on obsolete cartridges so I don't think pressure is an issue just finding a barrel that is chambered how you want!

Be aware that the Contenders ( originals) can be broken up into to class's "before and after" "easy open"! the orignal guns locking block was solid and sorter than the locking block of the easy open gun. The barrels will not interchange with the original blocks on them!

A pre easy open barrel will not lock on an easy open frame. More important an easy open barrel will lock and NEVER OPEN on a pre easy open gun!

I have enjoyed many hours with my Contender Good luck in getting one.

Tokarev
04-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Canada is worse than Commyfornia. We need a separate pistol license which they call 'restricted', which I don't have and don't want. But it would be a non-issue if I will buy a Contender rifle and later install a pistol bbl on it.

leadman
04-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Tokarev, as mentioned the Contender is limited to cartridges of a certain pressure level and the amount of case head thrust. If you go to the T/C custom shop they have a more extensive list of cartridges than the standard offerings. You can also google SSK Industries, a maker of custom barrels for even more cartridge offerings.
At these same sites you can also check out the offerings for the Encore, a larger version similar to the Contender but will handle higher pressure cartridges.
Be aware that this leads to a barrel buying & trading addiction!

Tokarev
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Darn yes, I was thinking Encore and talking Contender all this time. Of course, I need those extra calibres offered by Encore, which are missing in the Contender.

Thanks for setting me straight! This is what happens when entering unfamiliar grounds.

Are the Encore bbls just as interchangable as Contender ones?

BABore
04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Darn yes, I was thinking Encore and talking Contender all this time. Of course, I need those extra calibres offered by Encore, which are missing in the Contender.

Thanks for setting me straight! This is what happens when entering unfamiliar grounds.

Are the Encore bbls just as interchangable as Contender ones?

Yes, all T/C Encore barrels are interchangable. There is also no generational issues with the Encore. T/C eliminated alot of the Contender's action quirks with the Encore. Sad thing is the result was a heavier trigger that's not adjustable. It is however easy to work over.

Encore's and Contender's do require a bit different reloading technique for top accuracy. Reloading them like you do for a bolt gun doesn't work. They don't like neck sizing as it preloads the frame. A very good explanation of this can be found on Mike Bellem's web site. http://www.bellmtcs.com/

lathesmith
04-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, Encores are just as flexible as the Contender--you can do rimfire, muzzleloader, shotgun, and of course all kinds of rifle calibers. But be warned, they are just as addictive as Contenders too, if not more so! The only downside to the Encore is that it weighs about a pound or so more than a Contender. This is a hinderance if you like handgun configurations, but is really a non-issue with rifle-length stuff. I like Encores for rifle stuff,and I prefer Contender frames for pistol work. The Contender is capable of all the power and recoil I can stand anyway, so I don't need the higher pressure capabilities of the Encore for pistol stuff.
lathesmith

largom
04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Between my son-in-law and myself we have 5 Encore frames and at least a dozen barrels. Be warned they are addictive. I was told by TC that all of their rifle barrels are 1 in 10 or 1in 12 twist. All of my barrels had a very rough bore and required lapping to smooth out. The few Bergara barrels I have seen looked very good with my borescope. Have fun.
Larry

leadman
04-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I bought a couple of the Bergara barrels and had some trouble with the stainless in 270 Winchester(30-06 based case). I finally sent it to Bergara and they replaced it. New one shoots fine, as does my stainless 243 Win.
If you can you may want to avoid the belted cases for the Encore. Seems T/C makes a habit out of cutting the chambers on the long side. Makes for even shorter case life than normal with full power loads. Even when headspacing off the shoulder as one should for these guns.

6.5 mike
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
SSK will do custom barrels. Pricey but ,if my 6.5 JDJ barrel is any proof, worth the money. 120 nosler ball. tips average under 1 in in any wind condition.
Thats where the name came from, along with 260, & 4 swedes.

Tokarev
04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
How' Encore's accuracy compared to the fancy heavy-barrel varmint rifles from Rem and Savage?

Tokarev
07-12-2009, 10:15 AM
If there are any Canadian frontstuffer enthusiasts here, maybe you can give me a tip or two regarding what is the best place to buy an Encore in Canada? I just missed a sale at Frontier...

JSH
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Accuracy wise and to stay with a rifle, I would go the Savage route and look at what barrels can be had for the Savage compared to the Encore. The bolt gun is a lot more user friendly off the bags than the TC product.
Maybe james will see this and elaborate a bit more on the Savage as he has a switch barrel of sorts. 25-06 through 35 Whelan.
jeff