PDA

View Full Version : 310 Martini speaks again

NoDakJak
04-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Several years ago I purchased a Martini Cadet with the intention of rebarreling it to either 218 Bee or another 25-20. Then I read Big Johns posting on the 310 and became interested. I checked the barrel and it appears to be in new condition. Aha! I mana:-Dged to get in on the Special Buy for the Martini boolit and recieved the mold a couple weeks ago. I am very happy with the quality of this mold. Lee out did themselves. I trimmed ten new Remington 32-20 cases back to 1.07 inch and then chucked the cases in the lathe and thinned the rims from the rear. I realize that this is supposed to be a no-no but it worked well. I removed enough metal that the headstamp is gone and a small pistol primer fits flush with the case head. I sized the cases with a 32-20 sizer. Someone on that thread had suggested expanding the necks with a 30 Carbine expander die and that worked perfectly with this boolit. I can seat the boolit with strong thumb pressure but need to use a set of pliers to pull it back out. Perfect! For the first tests I loaded 4.5 grains of Red Dot and after seating the boolits I finger lubed them with JPW and immediately headed for the range. They got to dry for at least ten minutes before the rounds were fired. This is the first time that I have tried JPW and I am happy with the results. Ten or fifteen rounds dropped loose in your shirt pocket should suffice for a short bunny hunt. A similar number that was lubed with LLA would be a hell of a mess. Ten rounds, especially at this low velocity is not a very severe test but man oh man the inside of that barrel certainly looks slick and polished now. Those first ten rounds were expended sighting in. I'll be back at the range shortly after breakfast, testing that same load for accuracy. I need to modify some more cases but although I have a couple hundred more new ones they are very successfully hiding from me. Ah Well! Neil

Ron B.
04-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Interesting NoDakJak!
Sounds to me, you know what you are doing? Did you chrony anything?
I always liked the Martini-s (not the drinks-make me puke) :)

Hey, throw up some pics!

GRB

Echo
04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Yo, GRB;

Not to hijack the thread, but DON'T KNOCK MARTINI'S!

My favorite is what I call a Smoteroo-HotV. My own acronym. Stands for Sapphire Martini On ThE Rocks, One Olive - HOld The Vermouth.

One per night...

In an ice-tea glass...

NOT!

NoDakJak
04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Echo: definetly the proper size glassbut hold the olive and vermoth and replace with salt and grapefruit juice. One a night is onlu right and proper but also all that it takes.

GoldenRoyBoy: Didn't get a chance to Chrony as it was too late in the day but the load data estimates 1'100 fps. It was a dead calm when I ate breakfast this morning and I quickly reloaded those ten cases. It is ony three miles to the range but by the time I arrived the wind had also so I turned around and came home. Twenty four gusting to over thirty mph. Now you know why they just erected 13 wind turbines about ten miles to the west. One of the engineers told me that they intend to install another 287 in the area. Prairie dog shooting is pretty good here. The poor little buggers can't run very fast as they have to tote little anchors around with them to keep their butts on the ground. Ah well! It certainly beats the hell out of living in the big city! Neil

Ron B.
04-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Good morning Bang Gang!

Echo, if it doesn't say Coors Light, or Jack Daniels on the side I leave it be! And, I don't like Jack either. Saw too many bad folks partaking too often when younger. Swore I'd never end up like them. Now, where's my glass; and glasses? :coffee:

NDJ!
My wife and I live atop a mountain west of Trinidad. We too were approached recently about leasing part of our property to a Turbine company. May do it too; their fees could buy a lot of bullets. In fact, we've considered alllowing them to erect as many as they wish; we'd keep our property, just move.

Groundhogs are supposedly good for the enviroment?
Never could figure that one out. I do know, chrony's definitely save guns! :Fire:

GRB

Bigjohn
04-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Good to see another 'CADET' being resurrected rather than reborn as another calibre.

Once you get the hang of reloading the cases, it will seem like second nature to you. At the moment I rely on neck tension to hold the boolit in place. I am working on modifying a LEE factory crimp die to crimp the case. May not need it but I've got to try and find out the results.

Here downunder, we shoot a rifle match for the .310" Cadets, 2 x 12 round ends in the monthly and something like a 120 for the Annual. Using the three positions of sitting, standing and prone; supported or not.

These rifle are posting some good scores.

Would be good for small game and pests also.

John.

Wayne Smith
04-25-2009, 12:26 PM
John, with a single shot you don't need to crimp. Shoot both ways and see what the rifle likes, or simply forget the Factory Crimp die and enjoy what you have. I've loaded for two 45-70 single shots, my Encore and a Trapdoor Springfield, and neither liked a crimp.

Myshot
09-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Simplest way to crimp the 310 is to put the loaded bullet through the sizing die after taking the spindle out. This crimps them like the 22 rimfires. I and several other have been doing it for years. The then chamber very easily.