PDA

View Full Version : Barrel replacement on Ruger Mark III 22LR?

Naphtali
04-19-2009, 02:06 AM
I haven't got the 22 semiautomatic in my possession yet, but I have been given a Mark III that I believe is a stainless steel standard grade with 4.75-inch barrel. I want a longer barrel -- at least 6.875 inches.

Can I send the barrel-receiver assembly to Ruger to have them replace the barrel? Or can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can do the job?

My goal is to install a red dot sight, probably an Ultradot L/T and use the pistol for small game hunting.

jh45gun
04-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Why bother your going to put a red dot on it so a longer sight plane is not the issue and two inches in barrel length is not going to make that much of a difference. Not for small game with a red dot sight on it. Why waste the money. Spend it on a quality red dot instead.

Naphtali
04-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Why bother your going to put a red dot on it so a longer sight plane is not the issue and two inches in barrel length is not going to make that much of a difference. Not for small game with a red dot sight on it. Why waste the money. Spend it on a quality red dot instead.A simple, obvious solution.
Are the next lines of your signature: This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Wild Bill Hickcock?

kingstrider
04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
The standard barrel will work just fine for your application. That said, if you still opt for a longer barrel, you could swap it out yourself providing you can find a barrel/receiver assembly. This is merely a matter of taking the gun apart as you would for a thorough cleaning. I have seen a few Mk III Hunter assemblies for sale both locally and online in the $200 neighborhood. There are also some aftermarket firms making these so you have a few options.

dk17hmr
04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I have heard good things about these. I see they will make you a 8.5" barrel with a rail on it already.....and they look pretty B.A. already.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=38

HeavyMetal
04-19-2009, 11:13 AM
If the Mark III your getting has the standard "skinny" barrel on it I can understand wanting a bit more weight out front to help it point better.

Clark does a lot of barrel swapping on these and also sells take offs. My BIL had a Mark I with that 4 3/4 skinny barrel and it now sports a stainless 6 inch fluted bull barrel and a reddot and points much better! His Mark I now looks like a Mark III Hunter!

Cost for the barrel was about $90.00 and I did the work myself.

trickyasafox
04-19-2009, 06:24 PM
not sure of your budget- but maybe buying this would be easier- as you could then sell what you have currently:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=565476

techrecruit
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I've recently been given a Ruger MK III with a short fluted barrel and was wondering about getting a longer barrel (6 7/8 or so) slab side as a replacement.

Has anyone done this theirself or is it best to use a gunsmith? Also curious to where to get the replacement barrel other than the sites mentioned above that seem interesting.