PDA

View Full Version : SWC vs DEWC in 38/357

Jeffery8mm
04-19-2009, 12:54 AM
I have been using a Lee 158gr SWC TL boolit for my 38's and 357's with good results. Most of my shooting is steel targets and such at short range, as in 10 to 25 yds. I dont do much small game hunting with these.
I like the way the swc loads in the revos.
My question is, does the DEWC have an advantage over the SWC or vice a versa??
Thanks for the info and input

Jeff

azrednek
04-19-2009, 01:00 AM
The double end wad cutter will cut cleaner holes in paper targets. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If the SWC is doing the job for you I can't think of any reason you would be better off using the DEWC.

Recluse
04-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Out of all the boolits I cast, still to this date my number one boolit maker is my Lee TL158SWC mould. I have a couple of DEWC moulds, including one by Lee. Both throw good boolits and I get superb accuracy from them--but I just do the standard 2.7 Bullseye load with them.

I can do a number of different charges on the SWC and get great results. Dunno, it's just my number one, all-time favorite boolit.

:coffee:

Shiloh
04-19-2009, 10:11 AM
The SWC loads quicker from speed loaders for plate and pin shooting.

Both LEE TLWC and LEE SWC molds throw great boolits and are superbly accurate.

Shiloh

Jeffery8mm
04-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I think I am staying with the SWC. Ye DEWC would seem to have a better "terminal factor" that the SWC. But as stated, I never hunt small game with them. Although I so raise rabbits and have used the 38 to dispatch them at processing time.
Jeff

jdgabbard
04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Although I so raise rabbits and have used the 38 to dispatch them at processing time.
Jeff

You know thats why everyone should own a 22lr pistol. Either auto or revolver, Ruger or Browning...

I like WC loads for target shooting. They cut nice holes, and for the most part they've been the standard of the shooting world for the .38spl for years. However the TL-SWC is VERY accurate. My go to load with that one leaves groups as tiny as 0.80" at 25 yards.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Both work well. The swc has an advantage of better aerodynamic shape which enables it to shoot better at farther distances. The wc cuts cleaner holes, but the shape (aerodynamically) is the worst possible. It'll skid on the wind and does..the greater the distance, the worse it is. If its a blustery day, forget it....go home! WC's usually are seated deeper, requiring a bit less powder and affording somewhat lower recoil that is appreciated more by target shooters. DEWC's are the same from either end so it doesn't matter which end you seat; for shooters using the Smith M52, the bullet can be seated flush with the case mouth to ensure proper feeding. It is true that swc's will work better out of speedloaders due to the nose guiding the feeding better in revolver cylinders. As to which is better; the answer is... the one that does/ is doing the better job for you. LLS

Jeffery8mm
04-19-2009, 05:42 PM
You know thats why everyone should own a 22lr pistol. Either auto or revolver, Ruger or Browning...

I like WC loads for target shooting. They cut nice holes, and for the most part they've been the standard of the shooting world for the .38spl for years. However the TL-SWC is VERY accurate. My go to load with that one leaves groups as tiny as 0.80" at 25 yards.

I have used my Ruger 22/45 for that task. The 38 just does it without the floppin and a sufferin!!!! 38 cal to the brainput en in the freezer alot easier!!
Jeff

TAWILDCATT
04-19-2009, 09:14 PM
the WC has to be used in the S&W mod 52 as there is no room in the magazine for a longer bullet.Lyman does not show the WC any more.they do have one with tit on it but its supposed to seat to first grove.I have both .I use a S&W mod 10,
I do have a 52.:coffee:[smilie=1: