PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 and short bullet quick fix.

wiljen
04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
If you've ever tried to lube a short bullet (H&G 68, BD45, 358345, etc) in a lyman 45 you know you run out of adjustment well short of the depth needed.
People have advised plugging all but the top hole in the H&I die with lead shot and I've had varying degrees of success with that, but still wanted a way to get the machine to insert the bullet to the same depth every time.

I could have found a much longer threaded rod I suppose but having looked a time or two they are not a standard part and probably would have had to been fabricated. (a skill set I readily admit to not having.)

I was wandering through lowes looking for some screws for another project when I saw a drawer in the hardware cabinet labeled Steel spacers and there it was, a 1/4 x 3/8 x 3/4 steel tube for $1.15.

I bought one - went home removed the H&I Die, pulled the stem out the hole where the die had been, put the sleeve around the stem and reinserted it, then reinserted the H&I die and viola!!! Now I can adjust the sizer until it only allows 1mm travel for gas check seating or any depth greater than that for bullet sizing without having to plug the holes. If I need the extra depth, it takes about 30 seconds to remove the sleeve and I'm back in business.

I didn't think this was too bad for $1.15.

montana_charlie
04-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Funny how common hardware store parts often fit so precisely in applications the inventor never imagined...
CM

sleeper1428
04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I ran into this same problem a while back but since I'm fortunate enough to own an old but still quite functional metal lathe, I solved the problem in just a slightly different manner. I chucked up a length of 0.5" cold rolled steel, smoothed it up, faced it off and then drilled a 5/16" hole about 0.5" deep. Then I changed to a D drill and extended the hole to a depth of about 1.25". After doing this I tapped the 5/16" hole with a 3/8 16NC bottom tap (the size of the Lyman threaded screw on the 450). I then cut off this small part at a length of about 0.85", reversed it in the chuck and reamed the 0.2460" D hole to 0.2500", just over the size of the push out rod on the 450. Edges were slightly beveled and the part was then tried for fit and blued.

Here are some photos :

Just another way to 'skin that cat'.

sleeper1428