PDA

View Full Version : This old lathe

Sprue
04-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Oh no - another Hobby!

Finally got this old Logan 200 running. I know its just a bare bones lathe but it otta do for a beginner noob. I don't have much tooling yet but I'm working on that. This one was made in 1945 I think. I need to get some JD paint and touch her up a little. I replaced the original head with one off an 820 model. Right now I'm working on getting some tube stock and raise her up another 4 inches. Plus I'm in the process of mounting the drum switch. I also want to mount a 2 gang outlet as soon as I get to it. At any rate, I can make some steel wool.

FWIW... it came green :-D

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF1119.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF1118.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF1120.jpg

454PB
04-17-2009, 09:54 PM
That's a dandy!

First tool I'd buy is a quick change tool holder. Those old rockers are fine for HSS, but eat up too much time getting them centered.

3006guns
04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Those old Logans were very nice machines. Some suggestions (and forgive me if you already know these):

Oil everything....twice. Keep it slathered in oil and wipe down before use. Rust is unforgiving and steals metal.

Go ahead and learn how to grind those "old fashioned" high speed bits....they'll do for 90% of your work. Not even sure if carbide would be an advantage on a machine that small.

Google the "Practical Machinist" website....great group of talented and experienced people that love to help others. There are several Logan fanatics on there.

While on that site, ask about support for the Logan machines.....seems to me the factory (or their successors) still provides manuals, some parts, etc.

You've got a nice machine for gunsmithing work. Be sure to show your "signifigant other" how useful it is by making some small project for her. Something silly but with a purpose, like turned salt and pepper shakers. :mrgreen:

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Check out "The Home Shop Machinist" site also, it is geared more to hobbiests .

Buckshot
04-21-2009, 03:35 AM
..............I'll also add my support for getting a QC tool holder and some extra tool blocks. With the starter package you'll get a parting off blade holder, a regular tool holder, a boring bar holder and a morse taper holder and I think one more. You'll probably use the parting off holder and the std tool and boring bar holder (which will also hold square bits).

http://www.fototime.com/6A7B4820DA9AEED/standard.jpg

A bunch of regular tool blocks and a parting off tool block. If you're making a bunch of something and need different tools, the QC setup is the ONLY way to fly! Removing, replacing, and setting tools on center over and over would be a mind numbing and time wasteing shame. The other nice thing is that you can set up several common ones you use over and over eg: Facing bit, left hand turning and right hand turning tools. Then a parting off setup, a 90* champher tool, and then just a couple standard common RH cutting bits.

..............Buckshot

Jon K
04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Ahhhhhhh.............TOOLING.......now comes the never-ending MEGA Bucks.

Jon

Char-Gar
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Where did you get that neat magnetic gizmo that holds the dial indicator?

Phil
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Well Sprue, you only thought boolit casting was expensive. Welcome to the world of bottomless pits. Wait till you discover ThinBit tooling. (:>)

Mo later,

Phil

Sprue
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Where did you get that neat magnetic gizmo that holds the dial indicator?

Which one?

The one with the on/off switch holding the indicator was on sale and bought at Harbor Freight for $9.99, the 2" (travel) Starrett was a real score at the local flea mrkt for $30 :mrgreen:

The other magnet (located under the Headstock) was bought through JTS Machinery. Its a Mighty Mag knock-off china brand. They were $4.48 a piece.

Sprue
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Well Sprue, you only thought boolit casting was expensive. Welcome to the world of bottomless pits. Wait till you discover ThinBit tooling. (:>)

Mo later,

Phil

:mrgreen:

....don't have an old bridgeport mill sitting around that you could beam down do you? Yep, bottomless.

kenjuudo
04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Traver's Tool, Enco, MSC...

Take your pick. Just sign your check and send it to them, no turning back now!!

jim

Phil
04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Wish I did! Need a bigger shop but that ain't gonna happen. (:>)

Cheers,

Phil