PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate bullet .45LC?

Texcut-Mike
04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi all blackpowder guys,

I´m a beginner in BP, so I have picked up a lot, the last weeks on this very
interesting forum. Thank you all for that!

Right now I´m looking for some advice about bulletshape for .45 LC. I have tried a 255 grain roundnosed bullet (Lee-mold). It´s working ok. But I search for more
accuracy (if possibly?).
In that case how is the roundnosed vs flatnosed bulletshape (Lyman 422664, or Keithstyle for instance)?

I mostly do bullseye shooting with my Uberti Cattleman .45LC.

Thank you all in advance.

Texcute-Mike
SWEDEN

Don McDowell
04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Lee's 250 gr swc bullet has been an extremely accurate bullet for me over the years.
Rcbs's 255kt bullet has also delivered some fine accuracy and carries enough lube for black powder use.

runfiverun
04-18-2009, 10:41 PM
something to think about..
the square shoulder on a keith/swc type boolit may help to scrape out bp fouling.

NickSS
04-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I use several bullets in my 45 colt rifles and pistols. My favorite black powder bullet is the original lyman 250 gr with two grease grooves. This bullet carries enough lube to get me through 10 rounds or more without loosing accuracy. As for smokeless the keath semi wad cutter 255 lyman bullet sized to .454 gives me about the best accuracy in all my 45s.

Nobade
04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I mostly shoot Ideal's 454424 in my Marlin 1894, but I do have to wipe it every 5 shots or so for top accuracy. You might check out www.biglube.com for some good BP designs that can run all day without wiping. I've got his 38 cal. Snakebite mould, but haven't got a heavy 45 one yet.

cajun shooter
04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
The big lube bullet does not deliver the best long range, now what are you calling long range? If you mean less than 100 yds then the big lube will work. I had a mold made by Dave Farmer at Hoch molds which is the 454190 with wider and deeper lube grooves. It works very well. You need different bullets for different uses. If you are hunting then that would be a different bullet.

Grapeshot
05-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Try the Pigeon Roost Slim's Big Lube Boolit. Springfield Slim over athttp://cascity.commade me up 1500 of them, unlubed and unsized and they work beautifully. He also supplies them with a good black powder compatible lube. I currently use both the PRS .45 and the Mav Dutchman's 200 gr. .44 bullet that Slim cast up for me. Infact, I need to order some more of those .44's.

bowhunter
06-26-2009, 04:30 PM
:castmine:I don't shoot bp. But the best bullet in my uberti cattleman and 1873 uberti rifle is the 255 gr. Rnfp. MADE BY NEI It will shoot one hole groups with either gun, i only use lee alox to lube with no leading. My load for the rifle is 20 gr. H4227 or imr4227. The pistol load is 17 gr. Of the same powder. with a mag primer, this is a slow powder and requires a mag primer.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Lyman's 454190 mold drops a 250 grain bullet very close to the original bullet design when the 45 Colt was first introduced. It has two deep lube grooves which really help with BP loads. This bullet is the most accurate one I have ever tried for both smokeless and BP. Not only does it group well but it also shoots point of aim with the same load in two different 45 revolvers. Good luck.

P.S. I am not sure if it is safe in lever actions (the nose is rather pointy).

1874Sharps
07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Texcut Mike:

After trying numerous store bought lead and hand cast boolits of all different styles and weights in the various 45 Colt handguns and one rifle tried at one time or another, one particular bullet rose to the top --- the one from RCBS mold 45-230-CM. This mold casts a 0.454 inch 230 grain round flat nose (cowboy style) with a fairly generous lube groove. I size this bullet to 0.454 inches and lube it with SPG lube just prior to loading. I was pleasantly surprised to find this bullet and lube gave me the best accuracy with both smokeless and black powder loads. I certainly like many of the other fine bullets and molds cited, but this one gave me the best results. I did not do much rifle load development with black powder with this bullet, as cleaning an 1873 Winchester after shooting BP is a hassle! However, with smokeless this bullet shoots like a champ to 100 yards in rifle as well as in pistol and with BP it shoots very well for 50 straight shots in a four inch barreled revolver (with no cleaning) such as the one you shoot. It has become the only 45 caliber boolit I cast and load now since it does everything I need it to do with aplomb.

masscaster
07-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm with Cajun and 2nd on this one. Can't beat the Lyman 454190 bullet for accuracy. It's also one of the easiest 45 LC bullets to cast.
masscaster

GLL
07-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I will jump on the 454190 bandwagon as well !

The key for me was to find an old IDEAL mould. Here is my very early version with the square lube grooves.

I must admit I do not shoot BP though.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/3DC734975B4795C/standard.jpg

cajun shooter
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
The lube grooves on my Hoch mold for the 454190 are just a hair bigger than the mold shown by GLL. They will do just as good in a rifle as I fire it in both. I use NASA lube and the fouling stays soft with a nice lube star at the muzzle.

masscaster
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I've shot this boolit in a Hawken .45 front stuffer cast at around 95.500% Pb/4.5% Tn fluxed.
It actually cast a .454 diameter boolit and shot decent groups at 75 yards. It weighed in at 264 grs. with that alloy. Don't remember much fowling using Crisco and rolling papers (with glue strip removed). Good shooter irregardless, I'll always prefer this bullet to the semi wadcutter for accuracy and ease of casting.
Nice Hollow Point by the way!!
Jeff @ Forefather's Casting

Cannoneer
08-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I have to agree with Grapeshot on the PRS .45 Big LUBE Boolit. Lymans 422664 Cowboy is another great bullet to use with Black Powder. I've never used the Lyman 454190 but it should work well.

I did a torture test using the PRS boolit and my Home made BP Lube in a GW2 .45 Colt SAA, with a 7.5 inch barrel. I fired fifty rounds through it with a full 40 grains of compreddes Goex 2Fg. The cylinder didn't start to bind until I got to round #48. A quick squirt of Moose Milk and I fired another fifty rounds without a problem. All 100 rounds stayed on a typical CAS target (12" X 12") at 35 feet. Most were clustered around the center of the target with a few call flyers on the out side edges.

cajun shooter
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Cannoneer, If you want to stop your cylinder bind, use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on your base pin and cylinder bushing. I've used it in CAS matches for around 9 months now. I've yet to have a problem. In fact I think I could shoot 10 stages without a problem. I keep a Turkey syringe full in my cleaning box. A $7.00 tube will last for a lot of matches or plinking sessions with the real powder.