PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning/Protecting pots, ladles, ingot molds?

Ancesthntr
04-17-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm new to casting, but not to guns. I was wondering if it is preferable to "season" the casting pot, ladle and ingot molds (like with veggie oil or something similar). I just wonder if the lead or lead alloy would stick to these things (all cast iron or, in the case of my muffin pan ingot, steel) without the seasoning.

Also, since ferrous metals rust (yeah, I know, that's not exactly the latest news), does anyone protect these tools with a rust preventative? If so, is there a concern about what happens when you heat them up?

Thanks much for any responses.

jforwel
04-17-2009, 02:01 PM
I have only been doing this for a few months but I don't season anything. I use a cast iron pot for smelting and have cast iron dippers. They are all kept dry. I also just bought a cast iron corn bread pan that has rust on it but I pour my ingots in it and they come out fine. My smelting pot and dipper don't have a problem with rust and I just keep them in the corner of the garage.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Dry, a little surface rust doesn't hurt the ability to make ingots. IMHO

I keep mine DRY , I sure don't want any type of oil in the pot/pan etc. when I pour HOT-molten lead into it.:???: I've been using cast iron for this purpose for many years with no problems.[smilie=1:
The alloy isn't going to creep into the pores in the metal to the point of causing a problem.

Never have used the cast pots, ladles,spoons to cook with after smelting in them, probably not a good idea, wifie might throw a shoe. Keep them separate from your cookware.[smilie=1:

Be Safe and Have Fun:drinks:

markinalpine
04-18-2009, 11:19 AM
I was able to find a few cast iron pieces at a local thrift store, and they spray them with vegatable oil to keep them from rusting. I just used them, and the first few castings had burnt, black residue on them, but since people use various oils for fluxing anyway, I just used them as is with no problems.:-D
Mark :coffee:

WHITETAIL
04-19-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't do anything to my smelting equipment.
Just keep them dry and in a old metal cabinet.:holysheep

runfiverun
04-19-2009, 11:04 AM
the rust acts like a release agent anyways.
the roughness of a cast iron pot will catch and hold dirt i just empty the pot and dump the excess when it gets built up.
i have noticed that over time the pots keep getting smoother from the scraping.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Seasoning cast iron is a process where the item is coated and then baked for an hour or so at 350 degrees F in an oven. On skillets, dutch ovens etc. it produces a thin skin or coating that not only prevents rust, but inhibits food sticking to it. It is not necessary to do this to casting tools as the relatively high temps of casting would immediately burn off the coating. As indicated previously some light rust on casting utensils is not all that bad and some folks don't mind it. Its a personal thing. I for one don't like it and I do coat my ingot molds and ladles with some veggie oil especially if they are going to be inactive for a while. The RCBS pot I use has a stainless steel interiori so it doesn't need that, but my Saeco's are cast iron and they get oiled. Yeah it stinks a little when you first get going again, but that goes away quickly. Its just a matter of personal preference. LLS

Beekeeper
04-19-2009, 05:45 PM
My ingot mold is a 120 year old muffin pan, makes 11 ingots ata time.
I found it in my grandmothers barn and have kept it for 50 years.
It is rusty , dirty , corroded and makes perfect ingots every time.
Why would I want to change it.

beekeeper

mold maker
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
If ya pick up a tin muffin pan to use for ingots, Ya better leave it out in the weather and let it rust. If ya don't, your first ingots will be soldered to the pan. The rust keeps it from sticking to the tin in the pan.
Loose rust will float on the melt in your pot when you scrape the surfaces to flux. Rust is ugly, but does little or no harm. I just store everything in the dry where the temp stays near the same, or changes slowly. that keeps condensate to a min.

Hansj
03-14-2010, 01:39 AM
I saw on another thread that some guys are spraying their molds with Kroil and it makes the boolits drop out more easily and consistently. I wonder if spraying Kroil on the ingot molds would do the same?