PDA

View Full Version : New bullet caster from down under.

Pistolero
04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for allowing me to join the site. I have been reloading for 10 years but have only just started casting my own in the last 2 weeks!

A friend and pistol club members gave me an old Lee melting pot with bottom pouring spout. I got myself a Lee 358-158-RF mould that I am casting for a .357 S&W 686. I will start with 9mm soon but dont have the time just yet! (2 kids, wife, job, blah,blah,)

The alloy is made up of old hardcast projectiles that I have obtained from an indoor pistol range. I really don't know what they are made up of. I have thousands of them and they are all hardcast (.38 Special). I just melt them down and recast them in my new lee mould. I make them into ingots and then put the ingots into the pot. I flux the metal with candle wax a light it. (I am going off the Lee reloading maunal)

My problems so far with casting:

wrinkled bullets (the first 20 or so) I guess the mould is cold?

some have nice sharp edges - some don't

If I add new ingots to the pot do I need to wait a while so the pot can get back up to temperature?

Should I be adding any other metals to the alloy? I have read that Tin can help fill out the mould. Do I need to bother?

Sorry for all the question but I am new at this!

Cheers fellas.:Fire:

archmaker
04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Correct on your mold probably being cold for the first few boolits.

To be able to determine what your problems with your boolits, the best piece of advice as a new caster is to get consisitent with whatever process you are using to cast. If using the Ladle, make sure you have the same amount of lead, you pour it at the same speed, and leave the same amount of sprue.

Develop a rythym, and then once you get that down, then see if you have a consistent problem with your boolits. If you do then you have at least the process down :)

Now change things to see what improves. For me I had to put the ladle whole next to sprue and "force" the lead in on my rifle boolits and then leave a sprue. Maybe you need a bigger sprue, or speed up or slow down.

On adding lead to a hot pot it depends. I add all my sprue and replinsh lead at the same time get it all melted and then flux one more time. But that is MY process. :)

I am going to guess if you are using hardcast scrap you probably have a good amount of tin there.

Remember, only change one thing at a time, there is nothing worse then changing two things and the problem still exist.

captaint
04-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Welcome Pistolero - I'm in just about the same spot you're in. It does take some time, don't get FRUSTRATED. Just try to enjoy & relax. Oh, get a hot plate to heat the mold on. Works great. You'll get lots of great advice from people that know the deal here. At least we can throw our mistakes back in the pot! Mike

Calamity Jake
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for allowing me to join the site. I have been reloading for 10 years but have only just started casting my own in the last 2 weeks!

A friend and pistol club members gave me an old Lee melting pot with bottom pouring spout. I got myself a Lee 358-158-RF mould that I am casting for a .357 S&W 686. I will start with 9mm soon but dont have the time just yet! (2 kids, wife, job, blah,blah,)

The alloy is made up of old hardcast projectiles that I have obtained from an indoor pistol range. I really don't know what they are made up of. I have thousands of them and they are all hardcast (.38 Special). I just melt them down and recast them in my new lee mould. I make them into ingots and then put the ingots into the pot. I flux the metal with candle wax a light it. (I am going off the Lee reloading maunal)

My problems so far with casting:

wrinkled bullets (the first 20 or so) I guess the mould is cold?

Yap mold is cold and or alloy is not hot enough. Preheat your molds on a hot plate or dip the corner in in the melt until the lead no longer sticks to it.

some have nice sharp edges - some don't

This could also be caused by a venting problem with the mold, check the stickys and search function for fixes.

If I add new ingots to the pot do I need to wait a while so the pot can get backup to temperature?

Yes it is a good idea. You might look at getting a casting thermometer it will help alot to control temp. Cast when temps are 700-750°

Should I be adding any other metals to the alloy? I have read that Tin can help fill out the mould. Do I need to bother?

I don't know what hard cast boolits have in them in your corner of the wourld but in mine most have enough tin that you don't need to add any.
It you add tin, anything over 2% is waste

And welcome, glad to have you aboard

Sorry for all the question but I am new at this!

Cheers fellas.:Fire:

>>>>>

Pistolero
04-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks.

I guess I need to slow down a bit and look at trying to be consistent. All the advice helps. :Fire:

I must admit I can't believe how easy the process is. A while ago I looked on in awe at guys who cast their own bullets but realise now it is more about art/craft than science. It aint so hard after all.

I haven't seriously burnt myself yet. That is a good thing. :-D

R.Clem
04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I posted this in Bullet Casting.
I found this on the RELOADERS GUIDE FORUM this morning, it has probably been posted here before, but I have not seen it.

http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature1201.html

The article is very informative, and should be a must read for those who are just starting out with this hobby. even us oldsters may find something we have forgotten.

beanflip
04-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the best site there is.

jhrosier
04-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Pistolero,
I set my mould on the top edge of the pot while it is warming and usually the second or third pour is good sharp edged boolits.
I also cover the top of the pot with a folded square of aluminum foil to hold some of the heat in so the pot heats up a little faster.

Jack

timkelley
04-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Melbourne? Melbourne? that's a little south of Tucson isn't it? Oh well, welcome to the insanity.:-D

mooman76
04-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I stick the end of my mould to include the sprue plate in the melt when it is up to temp to pre heat it. 20 seconds for a double and 16 for a single. I can usually get good bullets the first cast but I top pour and it is a little different. Might try tuning up the heat a little more and if it starts to get too hot turn it down. You didn't say what size pot so it's hard to say if adding ingots will cool your melt down to where your good casting is affected. You could try making smaller ingots to add so it doesn't get affected as much and add as you go. Don't wait for the pot to get real low. Add as soon as you have rrom and on my smaller pot I will crank the heat up a little just before I add to even out the temp and then turn it back down when it gets back to normal. Just keep cranking out the bullets and you'l get a good flow going and it will get easier.

Echo
04-18-2009, 02:54 AM
I always set my replenishers on top of my furnace to warm them up prior to putting in the pot. Use channel-locks to pick them up, as, well, they are HOT! And +1 on adding as soon as you can, keeping the temp variation to a minimum.

And welcome to the best board on the web.

(And I enjoyed my visit to the War Museum when I was there)

Ron
04-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the board JB, told you it was a good site. Now with my personal tuition and what you learn here, you will be up and running in no time. When do you want your next lesson, this time hands on!!!!

Now that SSAA banner looks really good, thanks Gunloads MAster, another excellent job.

sav300
04-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Welcome Pistolero.Have fun and do not burn yourself.

blackthorn
04-18-2009, 10:38 AM
+1 on the big welcome!!! Enjoy!

Bigjohn
04-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Pistelero; Welcome to the sight from another Aussie. All the good advice has already been given in response to your questions, so no point me adding more at this stage and confusing you.

If any other questions arise, don't be afraid to ask here, cause; the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

John

Thumbcocker
04-19-2009, 12:25 PM
If you are using a lee mould you might need to smoke the cavities with a wood match before casting. As far as your alloy, most comercial boolits here are much harder than needed for pistol velocity. You could probably add lead to the ingots and get a softer boolit that would strech your alloy.