PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Wrench for a barrel?

ghh3rd
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
I was thinking of experimenting with Liquid Wrench penetrating oil for lead removal. Before I proceed, I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows of any reason not to use it in a gun barrel.

Thanks,

Randy

mtgrs737
04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I haven't ever used it on a gun but it is a oil that "creeps" into things and maybe under the leading to loosen it. I would test it on a covered part of the gun to see if it harms bluing or SS finsh before squirting it around.

Rodfac
04-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I've used Kroil for barrel cleaning both in pistol and rifle applications. It helps to keep fouling, lead or jacketed, easier to remove, but does not eliminate it. Ed's Red works about as well and is far cheaper to use in quantity. HTH's Rodfac

dabsond
04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
The Liquid Wrench in the aerosol can will not harm blueing. I used it to loosen the screws on an Enfield without any ill affects.

montana_charlie
04-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow! I haven't used the term 'Liquid Wrench' for decades. As a boy, I knew it was penetrating oil (and knew it's purpose)...and, I thought it was the only penetrating oil in the world.
But the penetrators I have relied on since leaving home have been WD-40 and Kroil.

Kroil is the penetrator that many use for the lead removal chore. It is believed to be able to get between the lead and the steel...to help free it up for removal with a tight patch.
However, many claim to get the same efficiency with (real) turpentine.

Whichever you choose, the tightness of the patch is a primary factor. If you don't need to thump on the rod handle to get it through the bore, the patch is too loose.

CM

Shiloh
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
A friend uses it for barrel removal.

SHiloh