PDA

View Full Version : Lapping size/lube dies

1Shirt
02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Know that there was a thread on this sometime back, but can not seem to find it now. Need to open up Lees that are now 225, 285, and 430 to 226, 287, and 431 or larger. Would appreciate it if someone could either point me to the thread that previously covered this, or send me an update on the subject. Sure would be nice if lee in particular and Lyman secondarily would expand their line of bullet sizing dies closer to the larger sizes of cast other than just in the 30's. With but
few exceptions most of my rifles shoot best with oversized bullets closer to as cast.
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
1Shirt!

Finn45
02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Well well, this is closer than the nearest phone...:

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/hone_a_die/hone_a_die.htm

nighthunter
02-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Any good machine shop has brass lappers that are adjustible the same as adjustible reamers. I have done this at work with a drill motor and a lapper. There are many different grits of lapping compound that you apply spareingly to the lapper and then use inside mics till you have achieved what you want. It is very easy to do.
Nighthunter

1Shirt
02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys, words of wisdom on this web are always welcome, and have always been good. Again, many thanks!
1Shirt!

454PB
02-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I recall reading where some one used boolits coated with lapping compound to open up a sizing die.

drinks
02-19-2006, 10:17 PM
CHEAP AND EASY;
Just split the end of a wood dowel, use wet or dry sandpaper, comes in a bunch of grits, put apiece in the slit, wrap around the dowel ,place dowel in a drill motor and spin in the die.
As little as you want to enlarge, use 320, 400 or 600 grit and check often by stopping and pushing a bullet through and measuring it.
Don

Buckshot
02-20-2006, 04:20 AM
................As Nighthunter mentioned, expandable brass barrel hones are available, but kind of expensive to buy the sizes needed for use every couple years. They ARE the most accurate way to accomplish the operation.

Drinks also mentioned a good way to go about it for the average person, with a drill motor and a split wood dowel. A couple things to remember are that hand held drill motor's do not run real true at the chuck, regardless of their pedigree. Plus holding a wood dowel in the chuck can add to runout. Finally, a split wood dowel will not cut as aggresively at the end where the split starts, as it will close up.

To mitigate the issues, have enough length to the dowel so you can run it deep enough into the die on occasion to have the opposite end of the split reach center. Since the dowel will be rotating out of true to a degree, do NOT hold the die stationary or you'll get a lopsided bore. Clamp the drill motor in a vise to free a hand and slowly rotate the die body back against the dowel's rotation.

About every 15 seconds or so, swap the die body end for end. Run it up and down the dowel always rotating it as before. After a couple swaps, drive a slug through to check for size. Depending upon how much you need to remove, and what grit paper you're using you'll get a handle on how long to go between checks.

If doing a Lee push through type, check fairly quick as the actual sizing area is very narrow and is cut quickly.

Do not run the paper dry, It cuts much better and lasts longer with a light oil, or even paint thinner on it. This washes the real fine stuff away and allows the paper to do a better job removing metal.

................Buckshot

carpetman
02-20-2006, 11:03 AM
454PB---You recall reading where someone used a bullet coated with compound to open up a sizing die. I think that was Starmetal----cant remember if it was 800 or 1000 yards where he found the velocity was best to open up a sizing die. Just put half a dozen or so one hole shots through it.

454PB
02-20-2006, 12:30 PM
It could have been Starmetal, and I only mentioned it as one of the possible methods. I doubt there would be enough of the lapping compound left on the boolit to do any good after reaching 800 fps., and it might be slightly out of round [smilie=l: I agree with Buckshot and Drinks. I make my own sizing dies from scratch, or open up factory produced dies that I stumble across. I recently bought a bunch at a gunshop on the clearance table for $2 each.

StarMetal
02-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Guys...it wasn't me that mentioned the lapping method. I use the Buckshot method with the dowel and abrasive paper. Thanks for thinking it was tho.

Joe

nighthunter
02-20-2006, 06:56 PM
A lap only costs about $6.00 from McMaster Carr plus shipping. A lot less than a new sizer die plus shipping from whomever.
Nighthunter

mooman76
02-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Lee will custom make you a sizing die for $25 poastage paid. I had one done for my 6.5 because they didn't make one and got it in about 3-4 weeks!

1Shirt
02-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I lapped out a .430 Lee to .4315 using Buckshots method, and learned a lot in the process. Slick easy, and my pant legs will come clean in the washing machine.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom.
1Shirt!