PDA

View Full Version : .410 shotgun slug

chrismetallica1
04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
I dont know how firearms laws works in the US . However in the UK they are pretty strickt. We have hats called a (FAC) Firearms cert. A FAC is broken down into slots for guns and slots for ammo. I just got a slot for a .410 shotgun with a slot for slug. I was thinking of getting a saiga 410. However after looking cant seem to find any moulds for .410! what do you guys use for casting slug? lee only do a 12g

Regards

Chris

lar45
04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
You would probably have to measure the chamber and choke to see what size of bullet will fit. You might be able to use a mould for the 41 mag, or maybe a .416 mould and size down to fit.
I wonder if you could get it modified for interchangable choke tubes and get a rifled one.
Maybe try the 410 brass cases and 300-400gn .416 bullets, all of that in an AK style platform could be lots of fun.

C A Plater
04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
No slugs but a .375 round ball instead. Most .410's have a very tight choke and the ball will fit through both barrels of my O/U. The wads come from a European source so you may find them available there. This site, www.fourten.org.uk (http://www.fourten.org.uk/index.html) should be of use in helping you track down supplies.

DLCTEX
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
If it is cylinder bored it will probably take a 452 slug. If it is choked then you'll have to measure it. I say this based on the pistols that shoot 45 LC and 410 shotshells. The shotgun bore may vary.

mikenbarb
04-16-2009, 07:34 PM
If you buy a Saiga you will have the option of a screw in choke system and you can shoot RB's with IC or Cyl Bore. I dont know if you can shoot .410 slugs thru screw in chokes but if like other screw in ones I wouldn't unless its a rifled tube meant for shooting slugs. Just Mic your choke tube and it will tell you what size to use and just go a little under. Theres a few sites that sell wads for RB's and slucs but im sure you can still find old book nitro cards and felt fillers.

longbow
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Scroll down to near the bottom.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=71

They use a 0.375" ball.

Looks like the fourten site has a better selection but 0.375" balls are readily available or can be cast easily.

Longbow

Willbird
04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
I dont know how firearms laws works in the US . However in the UK they are pretty strickt. We have hats called a (FAC) Firearms cert. A FAC is broken down into slots for guns and slots for ammo. I just got a slot for a .410 shotgun with a slot for slug. I was thinking of getting a saiga 410. However after looking cant seem to find any moulds for .410! what do you guys use for casting slug? lee only do a 12g

Regards

Chris

I know it would not be inexpensive, but what about talking to Corbin about a swaging setup ??

This guy has what look like swaged slugs $16 for 50 slugs
http://www.geocities.com/doug410slug/bpic2.html

here is a 410 brass shell a friend made for me from a 7mm rem mag case. It measures .440 inside and .470 outside at the mouth.

Bill

Slowpoke
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
.358 Lee moulds make good candidate's for customizing to a .410 slug mould.

With a vertical 5 C collet fixture and a drill press you can hollow base your slugs or make a jig and attach base wads like the Brenneke.

Good luck

chrismetallica1
04-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Cheers for the info guys. I may try the lead ball first and see how I get on with that

All the best

Chris

longbow
04-19-2009, 12:11 PM
If you get a good fit of shotcup/ball/barrel, accuracy should be pretty good to 50 yards or so.

I have managed pretty regularly to get 4" to 6" groups from my 12 ga. with round ball if the fit is good and I think a carefully tailored load should do 4" or better. Not tack driving accuracy but not too bad from a smoothbore.

As a side note, so far I have gotten best accuracy with a stack of hard card wads over a plastic gas seal ~ no cushion leg.

My theory is that the wad column is still pushing on the slug after the slug, but not the wad column, has left the muzzle and the cushion legs allow tipping while the hard card wads give a straight push. Just a thought.

Longbow

turbo1889
04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
For your ball slug work this chart loosly based on round ball molds available in the US may be helpful:

http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/turbo1889/2009-02-12_160854_Round_Ball_Slug_Sizes_by_Choke_Constrict ion.GIF

jdgabbard
04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Have you thought about buying a "Shotgun" that doubles as a 45 Long Colt gun as well? It might work to your advantage.

chrismetallica1
04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Have you thought about buying a "Shotgun" that doubles as a 45 Long Colt gun as well? It might work to your advantage.

Unfortunately .45 log colt in a semi or pump wouldnt be legal in the uk. We are ristricted to Straight-pull or bolt action in center fire guns (however .22 rimfire is permitted). Semi-auto rifles are banned as are pistols other than LBR's or LBP. Shotguns are alos split into diffrent licenses. On a SGC (shotgun certificate) you are limited to 3 shots maximum and you cannot use slug. On a FAC (firearms certificate) you can have any shotgun above 3 shots with slug as long as you have good reason for the slug ammo (practical shotgun matches, target ect...).

Regards

Chris