PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

firebyprolong
04-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Im new to the site and really like what i see, so i got up the nerve to asks some questions. Im trying to patch rounds for my enfield #1 and haven a few issues.

#1 will using a as cast 308. RN 180 GR lee gascheck bullet work after a few raps of tracing paper? have tryed this in the past and can never get a consistent point of impact. All other load data aside i am baffled. After five rounds of serras drop into a nice neat little half inch hole and all the copper is removed the patched rounds just seam to evaporate after leaving the muzzle. 45 grains of imr 4350 is my standard load in this rifle because of the tiny groups i can manage with it. do i need to switch powder? Mabey 4895 or 3130? . After attempting this about 5 times over the last 10 years I'm about ready to call it a loss. any ideas ?

#2 is there a general patch pattern that anyone uses? Ive been cutting them off sqaure on the tailing edge to the tune of three wraps over a .308 with a Top cigg roller. after sizing they come in at .314 to .3145. Am i just putting to much effort into this or am i just to stupid to grasp the concept?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

pdawg_shooter
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
For my .303 I size .3045, wrap with 2 wraps of 16# printer paper, lube with BAC and run through a .314 push through die. I cut my patches on a 60* angle and take care not to overlap on the final wrap.

leftiye
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Try it Pdawg's way - he's the man!

docone31
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Hmmmm.
I understand the evaporating after leaving the muzzle.
What does the barrel size to?
As far as the pattern, I use alternateing 45* angles. I also suggest sizing to .308 without the gas check. That gives you a stable starting point.
When I used three wraps of Traceing paper, I got .3135.
I suggest, you use two wraps of lined notebook paper. That gives me .317. Lots of lattitude there. I then size it down to .314. I found my size before I sized them to this size. Your charge seems about right. I use minimum start load data. H4350 is good powder.
The other issue, is nose diameter. My rifle needs .304 with paper patching. I use the Lee C185 mold for .303.
The patch length with notebook paper is 1 3/16" with 45*angles. I cut 1" strips and cut the patches from that. Grain direction I have found is VERY important! The dry patch that hangs the most, has the grain across the patch. I use that way.
Also, are you crimping the neck?
I do not reccomend crimping at all. Just neck tension. I also use Auto Wax on the patch when sizing, and I feel it helps in the bore.
Some of the #1s have a bore of .316! This might be the issue here. You will need to slug the barrel. Easy enough. Cast a pure lead .30 cal. Cut off the body and drive the nose into the barrel. Leave just enough of the body to get a groove diameter measurement.
Keep trying! Most important is consistancy.
Good luck.

oso
04-16-2009, 05:08 PM
The problem I see is the nose of your boolit is smaller than the bands, so the bore riding nose doesn't ride the rifling but slumps or cocks even if patched to the ogive.
Have you slugged your throat? Please post your results.

pdawg_shooter
04-17-2009, 08:10 AM
The paper will support the nose quite well. After patching the bullet is the same diameter for the full length of the patch. If you load to engrave the rifling, the bullet is also centered. I prefer, if I could find them, Loverin style bullets myself. The Lyman 311414 is one of the best bullets out of my .303. The same bullet sized .3015 is great in my 308 an 30.06 too.