PDA

View Full Version : problem seating lead bullets

Patrick L
02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I was putzing around the loading bench last night and loaded about 20 rds of .30-06 using the 120 gr plain base bullet we did as a group buy last fall. I intend to use that bullet primarily in an M1 carbine (which I don't even own yet) but in the meantime thought I'd try it in the '06 for some light gallery-type plinker loads.

Anyhow, the problem is, about 3 or 4 out of the 20 seated noticably crooked, enough that you can plainly see it and a lead ring was shaved off one side of the bullet. I've never had this problem, and I've loaded cast in the '06 for many, many years. All of my other bullets were heavier GC types though. After the first 10 I tried adjusting my M die a bit deeper, thinking the plain base maybe needed a bit more case flair, but it didn't eliminate the problem.

Now I'm thinking maybe the shortness or stubbiness of the bullet is the problem ? Like I said all of my other .30s are 170 - 200 grainers. Or does the GC on the others allow those bullets to straighten out as they seat ? I rather doubt this since I've never had any plain base pistol bullets cock like that, and they are roughly as stubby.

Your thoughts ?

44man
02-19-2006, 10:54 AM
It sounds like the short boolit is not going up into the seating stem all the way so it can be straightened. Or the nose profile does not match the seating stem and the boolit point bottoms in it before the ogive contacts the edges of the stem. Take out the stem and put a boolit into it to see what is happening. You might have to drill out the center a little so the nose goes in deeper. Using epoxy to fit the boolit will work but then the other boolits won't fit.

Roudy
02-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Patrick,

I'm not familiar with the "M die" you mentioned, but FWIW I recently bought a Lee Universal Cast Bullet Expanding Die and it works great. Have been loading cast bullets in bottle neck cases for years and this really helps.

Another thought....are you chamfering the inside of the case mouth, this might help that little bullet ease into the neck a little.

XBT
02-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I think the advice given above will probably solve your problem, but here’s a few things I’ve noticed when loading cast boolits.

Gas checked boolits seem to be easer to seat correctly than plain-based types, but both will work fine with a little tinkering.

I use very little flair on mine; in fact I load most rifle calibers with no more than a heavy inside chamfer on the case.

If you set the boolit carefully in the case, getting it as straight as possible before running it into the seating die it will help. The base of the boolit should be inside the case mouth on all sides before running it into the die. With reasonable care it should stay in that position while you seat it.

If you can’t get the base of the boolit slightly inside the case mouth before seating, you will almost certainly have shaving problems. In that case you will need to do whatever is required to correct the problem, possibly using more chamfer or flair on the case and inspecting the base of the boolits for small irregularities which stop it from entering the case cleanly.

Let us know how you come out. Jim

Patrick L
02-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys !

44Man, I think you may be right. This is a flat nose bullet, and the seating nose looks like its designed for thejacketed spitzers most commonly loaded in the '06. I may need to try a seating die that will allow me to change seating punches.

Roudy, a Lyman M die does essentially the same thing as the Lee expander. Lyman has been making them for decades. And yes I do chamfer, but I think I may try one of those new VLD chamfer tools with the shallower (or deeper depending on your point of reference) chamfer angle.

XBT, the base does enter the case mouth easily. The shaving is definitely a result of the off center seating.

Thanks again, and keep 'em coming.

1Shirt
02-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Patrick, Expand slightly with either Lyman M die, or the Lee expander (both work well), and use the Lyman inside campher tool (think it is called VLD for very low drag) to just slightly campher the inside of the neck but further down than a regular deburring tool. Once I started doing that many years ago, I eliminated lead shaving even on the short stubby plain base bullets. Hope this helps.
1Shirt!

nighthunter
02-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Patrick .... You need a seating stem that matches the profile of the bullet you are loading. I posted a similar thread about custom seating stems thread a few days ago but have not had too much luck with it. I hope someone here can help us both.
Nighthunter

44man
02-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I didn't know the boolit was a flat nose. Nighthunter is correct. The boolit nose is NOT going into the seating stem but is catching on the edge.

Patrick L
02-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks again, guys. I will pick up a VLD chamfer tool and will fabricate a punch that matches the nose profile.

454PB
02-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I made my own version of the Lyman "M" expander. It is constructed so that the expander portion is removable from a piece of 7/8 by 14 tpi body. The changeable ends are made up for each caliber I load and held in place by a recessed allen head screw. The expander part not only applies a slight bell to the case mouth, but also opens the neck slightly. Reloading dies for rifles are all made to seat jacketed bullets, and over resize the case for cast boolits. Backing the sizing die up does not solve the problem, but this home made device does. We all know that boolits for say .308 /30/06 /30/30 need to be .311" or so anyway. I can usually push the boolit into the case about 1/8" with my finger and it is then begun straight. I then seat it fully in the press.