PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning cases

cajun shooter
04-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I use like many of you do, ceramic to clean my cases. I've always used and bought the high priced cleaner that comes in the kits. After paying $8 for my last 8 ounces I decided to look elsewhere. I was at Home Depot with my Honey-Do list when I found myself in the liquid cleaners isle. I noticed this Gal jug of ZAP orange citrus cleaner soap product. After reading the label I put it in the cart and said to myself that the wife can use it if it does not work. I had about 150 45 Colt cases to clean. They came out of the ceramic looking better than when I used the secret stuff. I used one cap full for about 75 cases at a time. The gal jug cost around $8, a big savings over the secret stuff.

Junior1942
04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
For years I've used whatever dishwashing liquid soap is beside the sink. Put the deprimed cases in a gallon milk jug, add a squirt of dishwashing liquid, add 2/3 jug hot water, then shake shake shake. Then rinse and dry. Cost = maybe 5¢.

montana_charlie
04-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I noticed this Gal jug of ZAP orange citrus cleaner soap product.

They came out of the ceramic looking better than when I used the secret stuff. I used one cap full for about 75 cases at a time.
Not enough information...

Is that one capful with no water?
If used with water, how many ounces to how much media?

Rotary or vibrating tumbler?

CM

markinalpine
04-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I've used the Birchwood Casey case cleaner, which is largely phosphoric acid, diluted with water per their instructions, heated to hot enough to just be uncomfortable, and found that it removes the tarnish, and a lot of the powder residue. Lately I've been using straight white vinegar, heated to boiling, poured over the decapped brass in a glass bowl and with one drop of dishwashing detergent. I stir with a big plastic spoon a few times while I let it cool, and pretty much leave it alone for about a half hour. Rinse with hot tap water several times, and pour them out on an old paper bag on a cookie sheet, and dry for about a half hour in a 200 degree oven.
Works for me :Fire:
Mark :mrgreen:

testhop
04-16-2009, 04:30 PM
how about just taking a jug with cleaner stuffwith you to the range. then put the cases in as you fire them .and when you drive home thay are shulshed back and forth and washed by the time you get home.

Bigjohn
04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Its unfortunate that product available in US don't transpose themselves here downunder.

I have been using hot water and dishwashing liquid. Cleaning inside the cases with a testtube cleaning brush.

John

August
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
How much sudsing was there with the citrus cleaner???

John Boy
04-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Cajun - here's the new stuff I'm playing around with and it works ... Stainz-R-Out (http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13278)

R. Dupraz
04-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Throw the fired cases in a jug with 50/50 plain old white vineger/water. Shake vigorously and let set for ten to fifteen minutes. Dump out and run a bore brush up inside each case then rinse with dish soap and water. Let dry and tumble or vibrate in corn cobs for two or three hours depending on how dirty they are. The vineger/water solution can be used over and over by just letting the black crud settle to the bottom of the jug and throwing it out. Cheap, simple and effective.

RD

StarMetal
04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
One cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup lemon juice, one/two cups water, dash of dish soap, pinch of salt. Cleans even old military brass. Rinse off well with hot water. They only have to soak about 15 to 20 minutes and agitated occasionally. Can't believe how well that stuff cleans.

Joe

largom
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
One cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup lemon juice, one/two cups water, dash of dish soap, pinch of salt. Cleans even old military brass. Rinse off well with hot water. They only have to soak about 15 to 20 minutes and agitated occasionally. Can't believe how well that stuff cleans.

Joe

I have used this formula [with a little more water] to clean thousands of the dirtiest range brass you ever saw, including military. As Joe said it works great and can be used over. Polish with fine corn cob in a tumbler and they look like new.
Larry

Wicky
04-17-2009, 06:34 AM
+1 for the vinegar solution. Usually take a jar to the range and drop the fired cases in, the trip home agitates them and then a rinse with clean water at home. Really hot is good as the cases dry from the heat and then into the case tumbler.

cajun shooter
04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't know if all the post are referring to BP cases. That's what I was cleaning and it does not just clean the outside like when you use corn cob media. It cleans the inside of the case also. MC you have used ceramic media have you not? The correct manner in which it is used is with just enough water to cover the cases and media. Most people use too much. I didn't get anal in my description as this is not rocket science and could be left to ones own trials. For you who use the vinegar, does it clean the inside of the case to a bright finnish?

The Double D
04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Cajun Shooter agree with you , I don't think those guys are cleaning cases fired with blackpowder. None of the stuff they suggest work with my cases.

montana_charlie
04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
MC you have used ceramic media have you not? The correct manner in which it is used is with just enough water to cover the cases and media. Most people use too much.
Yes, I have used (do use) ceramic media as part of my procedure for cleaning BP cases. I started by using the 'just enough to cover' amount of liquid, but even that proved to be 'too much'.

Now, the volume of my liquid is about half the volume of my ceramic media. Then I add the cases to be cleaned.
The ratio of cleaner to media seems to be important, so that's why I asked for specifics on your method, and what type of tumbler you use.
I suspect that vibrators need more liquid-to-media than rotary types do.

If you use 'just enough to cover', then you are (obviously) diluting the citrus with some amount of water added to that 'single capful'.
I (too) have been trying a citrus cleaner. It cleans well, but produces a lot of suds.
Again, that is why I was interested in your mixture ratio.

Do you really consider that as being anal...?

CM

Lead pot
04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I tumble my BP cases in a tumbler and ceramic media, one squirt of dawn and about a pint of water will clean what ever I put in the drum.
If I dont forget it I let it run about 2 hours and the brass is brighter than new inside and out.

cajun shooter
04-20-2009, 08:10 AM
MC, Maybe the way I read your question. To ask in the manner of your last post is not in any way being anal. In your last post you give me info which tells me that you have and do use it. I have found on this forum that you tell some people one thing and they do something different and then tell you you are wrong. Just like lube recipes, you can't be there to see if every move is done in a correct manner. That has made me give general postings until someone ask for more. I , in no way was being disrespectful and have valued your posted info on many occasions. Yes In have found that sometimes my water and one capful does produce a lot of foam. But the cases are clean and that is what I'm trying to do. The tumbler used is a Thumblers model B and the ceramic is from Buffalo Arms.

powderburnerr
04-20-2009, 11:19 AM
The high sudsing usually occurs if the water is too high in the pot .. I dont measure the water very closely but I do try to keep it about an inch or so below the top of the media. then a small squirt of the soap seems to work better than the large squirt...the right amt seems to make the media kinda slide over everything , too much and it floats in the water and doesnt ride on the brass , when done just right the brass is clean in a couple hours . It also seems if the suds are high and pressure builds in the pot when tumbling, the brass doesnt get as clean and it takes considerable longer to get the job done.....Dean

montana_charlie
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
MC,
To ask in the manner of your last post is not in any way being anal. In your last post you give me info which tells me that you have and do use it.

Yes In have found that sometimes my water and one capful does produce a lot of foam.
How much water?
The tumbler used is a Thumblers model B and the ceramic is from Buffalo Arms.
How much media?

I'm glad that, because I told you so much about what I'm doing, you don't find my questions 'anal'. Now, I just find myself wondering why you didn't answer them...
CM

R.Clem
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I put my BP cases in a jug of water at the range. No soap, just water, when I get home I dump the water, put the cases in a pan with hot water and put it on the range top on high till the lube and residue come to the surface, then pour out the crud and rinse. If they are real dirty still, I use the vinegar, lemon, dish soap for about a half hour. Rinse in hot water, let'em dry. Then into the tumbler till they are shiny.

Ray

cajun shooter
04-21-2009, 07:57 AM
It now seems that you are on some sort of mission MC and I will let everything remain as it is. You stated that you used ceramic and someone with all your knowledge and expertise can probably do a better job on their own. My intention on this thread was to tell forum members about the ZAP product and I have done that. So as they say in the cartoons "THATS ALL FOLKS"

MR45
04-21-2009, 08:22 AM
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/liquidcasecleaner/pdf/liquidcasecleaner.pdf

Hear a link to what I use.

splattersmith
05-07-2009, 02:26 AM
What is the citrus supposed to do with the vinegar-water cleaning mix?

I use vinegar and simple green for a couple hours. Rinse, dry and then tumble with ceramic with 2/3ds water to the top of the media (and cases) and a cap of the special sauce that came with the rotary tumbler. Cases are very clean - almost like new.

So, why the citrus/lemon juice? :confused: Or - why not - I guess?[smilie=1:

montana_charlie
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I ... tumble with ceramic with 2/3ds water to the top of the media (and cases) and a cap of the special sauce that came with the rotary tumbler. Cases are very clean - almost like new.

So, why the citrus/lemon juice?
I think the citrus advocates are using it instead of your 'special sauce'. If nothing had come with your tumbler, you would be looking for a substitute, too.

CM

Gellot Wilde
05-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I use the RCBS sidewinder liquid, works well both inside and out.

Just my .02

:coffee:

shotman
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
black ,go with Simple Green will work better than anything

BPCR Bill
05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
black ,go with Simple Green will work better than anything

I tried the Simple Green stuff last month, left too many stains on the brass. Went back to soaking in Dawn, good rinse in hot water, then tumbling in fine walnut media for about 8 hours. I use Flitz for the tumbling additive. works great.

Regards,
Bill

Don McDowell
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Bill I use simple green and yes it does stain the cases, but after 2 hours of corncob media with Brasso you have to look close to sort the brass cases from the nickle.

RMulhern
05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
For BLACKPOWDER CARTRIDGE RIFLE cases.....NOTHING beats ceramic media!

thenaaks
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Bill I use simple green and yes it does stain the cases, but after 2 hours of corncob media with Brasso you have to look close to sort the brass cases from the nickle.

brasso contains ammonia, which causes the brass to become brittle. i suppose you could let the brasso evaporate, but i would not chance it. just use some flitz or nufinish.

Don McDowell
05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
thenaaks there's not enough ammonia in Brasso to hurt brass. The can even says it good for cleaning brass.
Been using it for cleaning cases for many many years. Have some 45-70 cases that have went well past a dozen loads and they're still operating just fine.Have a few 45 colt cases that are pushing 40 years old and have been loaded and shot aaalott.
Some time back one of the slef appointed internet gods on another board decided to take me to task on the Brasso issue. His test was a 2 dozen brand new 30-06 cases , each prepared and fired with identical loads. The only difference was he was going to use some super good brass polish that contained no ammonia on half of them, the other half he was going to use the vile Brasso. Well long story short. in 12 reloads he lost most of the other cases to cracks etc, wanna take a guess at what happened with the Brasso treated ones?????

59sharps
05-10-2009, 03:01 PM
bp case in hot water and dish soap until i get home then into a sonic cleaner. after that into my tumbler.

splattersmith
05-11-2009, 02:06 AM
I think the citrus advocates are using it instead of your 'special sauce'. If nothing had come with your tumbler, you would be looking for a substitute, too.

CM

The question was apparently unclear. :confused: As to tumbling, no citrus.

As to a soaking solution without (or prior to) tumbling, why is citrus added to vinegar and soap type mixes? The tumbling solution is a different issue.

Hope this clarification isn't confusing. If it is - nevermind. [smilie=1:

BPCR Bill
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Don, Brasso, huh? Might give that a try. It's cheaper than Flitz and easier to find. I haven't used Corncob in a long time. Call me lazy or just plain simplistic, but I like a recipe that doesn't require alot of research and development. My 45-2 7/8 brass is all cleaned as I stated before and it looks brand new. I washed some 45-70 in Simple Green last month and it just wouldn't clean up, even with the Flits in the walnut. See you at the Q next month.

Regards,
Bill

Don McDowell
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Bill about a tablespoons worth scatter thru a bowl full of corn cob media.
Right now thinking me and the boys will be in the original Cabelas alaknak teepee tent, and the brand fer new Kodiak tent.
Not sure which vehicle yet ,but look for the wy. co 7 license plates.