PDA

View Full Version : 303 neck sizing????????/

leadhead
04-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Guys,
What do you use to just neck size .303 british?
I can't seem to find any neck sizers for this cal.
Would the lee collet die work for this?
Thanks for any info you can supply.
Denny

04-16-2009, 07:11 AM
The Lee Classic Loader (hammer activated, whack-it tool) would do only neck sizing.

Hip's Ax
04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
The Lee collet die is awesome for 303 British. RCBS and Redding make normal neck dies and I have the Redding but have never used it, I grab that Lee collet every time.

I have a Redding body die for knocking the shoulder back when necessary but have only recently tried to use it as I had a mil surp match with a rapid fire phase and was worried about reliable magazine feeding. I didn't really have time so I just used new brass for the rapids, no idea if it made any difference in feeding at all, I never did try cycling neck sized brass through the chargers and magazine.

I have many Lee collet dies and for bolt guns 99% of the time thats what I grab. This even includes my 1000 yard match rifles.

dabsond
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Yes, the lee collet die fits the neck sizing die role. So far I have reloaded my .303 brass more than 7 times without any problems or signs of separation.

jonk
04-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I have the Lee die but you can neck size with standard dies. Just soot or use a sharpie marker on the neck, then adjust the die up from the shellholder about 3 turns. Start sizing. Keep turning it down a little until 99% of the neck is sized, but not the shoulder, then lock in.

leadhead
04-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys, guess I'll look for the lee set.
Denny

higgins
04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
If you have one .303 rifle and want to experiment before you get a neck sizing die, you might try full-length sizing just enough to let the bolt close with a very slight bump on a sized case. That ensures that you're not shoving the shoulder back too far, which you will probably do if you screw the die down as far as die instructions tell you to. Get a piece of range brass that will not chamber in your rifle, back the die up at least 1 turn, and start sizing and lower the die about a quarter-turn until you find the point where the brass is sized just enough to chamber in your rifle. With one rifle neck sizing is probably the way to go for maximum case life, but if you have more than one and don't want to segregate brass for each gun, try the above technique for the one with the tightest chamber. Brass won't last as long a neck-sized, but the interchangeability of brass among rifles is more convenient.

docone31
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I use the Collet Dies for my .303.
However, if your casting/paper patch like mine, you will have to send it out to get it to fit. It is made for max .312.
Once adjusted however, it is great. Excellent case life, good tension. I do lube the inside of the necks though.
I have so far over 10 reloads on my original brass with this set up.

MtGun44
04-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Le collet is great, keeps the neck really straight and cannot oversize.
As long as you segregate your fired brass, it is perfect.

Bill