PDA

View Full Version : What is this kit ?

cabezaverde
02-18-2006, 06:48 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5145

Any ideas ?

Buckshot
02-19-2006, 06:08 AM
...............Man I have NO idea. However armor's tools don't necessarily have to deal directly with the gun. Then again there are guns and there are guns. Those could very well be for some artilley application. Maybe they had some optical sight application? Was the army still fielding recoiless rifles in '63? Morters, MG's and their ancillery equipment may have required alignment or setting somehow. There's just a ton of things armorers would have monkeyed'with.

In looking at the parts, I couldn't fathom many uses for some in small or personal weapons application. But my military small arms familiarity ends at the Garand and 1911.

......................Buckshot

versifier
02-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Could they be for regulating double rifles? Something looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe if it percolates for a few days through the coffee filter between my ears I'll remember.

cabezaverde
02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I poked around on Starrett's web site but didn't see anything like it. I also sent them an email enquiry.

Think Versifier, Think.

versifier
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Can you take a better photo of the upper tray? What is the diameter of the cylinder on the upper left, and does it fit on the threads of the part in the left front of the tray?

RugerFan
02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
cabezaverde,
I am currently a U.S. Army Armament Technician with 19+ years experience and counting. I can verify that this is not anything an "armorer" would use. At least not the average armorer. I don't know what cool toys the gunsmiths on the Army shooting team get to play with, but it really doesn't look like anything involving small arms. I think Buckshot is on the right track though. It was possibly used for an obsolete fire control device or something of that nature. I'll forward the pic to a couple of cohorts to try and get a consensus. It would help if you could find an 11 or 13 digit stock number and any nomenclature.

waksupi
02-21-2006, 01:09 AM
It is a manual bore disgronificator.

woody1
02-21-2006, 01:33 AM
It is a manual bore disgronificator.

More specifically, Ric, I think it's an Ballentine-Sorenson, type IV, 2nd variation.

Four Fingers of Death
02-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Those forcep type things take it out of the weapons category, althought they might be for unscrewing fuses in bombs or something similar. What is the metal piece on the bottom lhs? is this heavy? It might be to work on or for use as a flat surface. My brother is not a shooter, but runs a workskills school for teenagers and part of it is a tool shop. He might know.

My guess is either bomb / rocket/ torpedo technician or an instrument repairer's kit.

It probably cost Uncle Sam a few Hundred bux though.

cabezaverde
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Starrett got back to me quickly, but couldn't help much. Said it was a kit one of their distributors could have made up using their dial indicators.

Here are a couple more closer photos. The first is a closer shot of the top tray. The second is a couple of the bottom parts that were not well defined in the first picture.

A couple of part numbers, which sure look like Military ones.
The flat plate as well as the part on the left in the second photo is 8P9-700-5. The part in the lower left of the top tray photo is numbered S-061081-N31.
The part to the left of the dial indicator in the same photo is 8P9-700-2.

The dial indicators both have a US Army calibration label dated April 83. The owner on the labels is listed as WOXQSS.

The outside of the box is labeled "SPEC EQUIP & A D P S SEC". Also "E32" in a different place.

versifier
02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
It's definitely not what I thought it might be, the Army origin alone is enough to eliminate it, but the better photo confirms that I don't have a clue what it might be. I thought the cylinder might be a pilot, and I guess it might be, but not to fit in the bore of a rifle. If RugerFan can't place it as weapons related, then maybe it's for setting up something in a helicopter? It looks machine related. The dial ought to measure runout of something. 8P9-700-XXX ought to be a clue to it's use, though.

cabezaverde
02-21-2006, 10:42 PM
There are actually 2 dial indicators. The second is in the bottom tray and the stem is about 4 or 5" long.

Here is the photo posted in the other area, just to put the 3 together.

RugerFan
02-21-2006, 11:52 PM
If Starrett can't place the kit, that probably means an Army Depot pieced it together (& probably manufactured some of the pieces themselves). I sent the pic to a friend that works at Rock Island Arsenal. He's drawing a blank too, but is passing the pic around there. If that installation can't identify it, then you can bet it's not related to small arms, mortars, artillery, or tanks. I doubt if it will be of any real use to you.

versifier
02-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Is there any way to look up the serial numbers in the military database?

RugerFan
02-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Is there any way to look up the serial numbers in the military database?

The numbers given so far are not helpful. The type of stock number that would allow me to research the kit are 11 or 13 digits in the following format:

XXXX-XX-XXX-XXXX or XXXX-XXX-XXXX