PDA

View Full Version : lyman ideal bullet luber and sizer question

fireaway329
04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
has anyone ever used this kind of press is it any good for the new bullet caster like me and what do you think its worth . Also, does anyone know if it will accept normal dies, seller wouldn't and couldn't tell me any more information. also do anyone know who has a lyman 450 in stock as of 4-15-09 i have checked midway,graf&sons, midsouthand a few others.

thank you justin

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/justincooke84/BQY6uOg2kKGrHgoOKjcEjlLmPeBJ4pJ3hTF.jpg

GOPHER SLAYER
04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Fireaway, you will find that in a short while you will get many offers to trade the Ideal lubrasizer you pictured for a Lyman 45 or 450. I have no idea of it's value or if the newer dies will work, however I think they probubly will. I do think that niether matter . I am sure it is worth as much as the newer ones. I have five #45s and 4# 450s. If no one wants to trade you I will,

mold maker
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
The dies are the same. I traded mine to Lyman even, to put in their museum.
The cast handle is the week link and I was sizing for a 44 Mag. I was afraid I would over stress the handle, and called Lyman to ask if it would handle the strain. Their comment was that if I was careful it probably would, but they would trade me a new 450 for it.. (late 60-early 70s)
Well the 450 link broke several weeks ago on 38 WCs and cost $17.50+S&H to fix.
What you have is a real antique, that has collector value. It would be a shame to devalue it with stress.
By the way I also traded a all cast iron powder dispenser (Ideal #55 I think) at the same time for a new unit. As far as I know they still have them displayed.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Mold Maker, the Ideal all cast iron single chamber powder measure was the #5 the double chamber measure was the #6. It was used to throw duplex loads. That is a priming charge of smokeless and a main charge of black powder.

mikenbarb
04-16-2009, 12:12 AM
I have the same one and its the best lubers that Ideal/Lyman ever made. I still use mine every day and it works perfect. Standard Lyman sizer dies and top punches fit it so hold onto it and enjoy a piece of history. Heres mine in use with a mini spotlight lube heater.
PS- The cast handle is as strong as any newer ones and I size .45's with no problem.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/004-27.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/003-30.jpg

anachronism
04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
There were a couple of new sizers on our "Swapping & Selling" board a few days ago, plus I've seen them on the auction sites. They are around.

GP100man
04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
nice pics, & nice seeing living history!!

GP100man:castmine:

HeavyMetal
04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I just recently purchased the same sizer, missing a few parts, off evil bay. If I remember I paid 35.00 for it.

The bottom cross bar was missing and the steel return plunger. Made both in about 10 minutes in my garage and have put the unit to work.

My intent is to have this sizer set up to do two boolits the PSW 357 and 44 GB that Warf73 just sent out to the buyers. This is the easiest way to size those point boolits and it's all it will ever get used for.

The trick with any of the old stuff you may not be able to buy parts for is don't ask it to do more than it was designed for! In this case my 357 should size down one thousandths of an inch to .358 and I may have to run the 44 through two dies to get them down to .430 but I'll do that rather than risk a breakage of a part I can't replace.

By the way current RCBS and Lyman sizing dies work just fine in this unit. If you decide to buy this sizer make sure you get the special clamp that holds it to the bench! Without that you have no way to mount it as the sizer has no holes in it!

madcaster
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Here's mine...

TAWILDCATT
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
compare it with the Saeco except for the dies.they seem to all be based on the lyman.:coffee:[smilie=1:

shotman
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Well I just listed one on feebay no one looked at the one I asked about . its there if you want one
If someone wants a no 5 powder measure I have one . for a short time