PDA

View Full Version : instructions for a lee "target model zero error"

mike in co
04-09-2005, 11:15 PM
gentlemen,
i have delima after delima......
while cleaning the new '03-a3 , i started looking in to reloading.
i have a lee hand loader, a full set of dies with redding neck bushing, forester micro seating die, and........well there is this lee target model hand loader.......but no instructions.....
this tool set includes an inside neck reamer, and i do not know where in the process it is used....
so if anyone has a set of target loader instuctions, i would love to hear from you....
thanks
mike

StarMetal
04-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Mike

I looked up manuals on the Lee site. The are PDF files. They don't list the target handload. I looked at a set for sell on EBAY and I would say you neck ream while the case is in the sizer body, that is after you pounded the case in the sizer, they you use the reamer buy placing it down the hole in the top of the die. When done then tap the case out with the rod provided for that.

Maybe if you call Lee they can supply the full instructions.

I can't think of any other process step in using that handloader that you would use the neck reamer besides the one I mention. It's an inside neck reamer so there has to be a means of holding the outside of the neck to a set fixed diameter, which is when it's in that sizing die.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
04-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Mike, Joe is absolutely correct. Also, put a drop of oil on the shaft of the inside neck reamer to prevent galling. IIRC, the reamer is slightily eccentric and works like a boring bar. I don't really know about boring bars, see your friendly machinist. Once you have Lee reamed your cases, the inside neck diameter will be too large to hold a bullet unless you continue to neck size in the Lee die body. IIRC, you do sizing and reaming with the die body set at zero. Also, I believe the seating depth adjustment is set while the die body is set at zero, then turn the die body down to the desired seating depth. It's been a long time and the Lee Target model is long gone. That reamer made my .243 loads significantly more accurate. curmudgeon

StarMetal
04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Curmudgeon

I shot some of the most accurate groups out of a 243 Sako that I use to have making the ammo with the standard Lee loader. I can imagine how good those target versions are.

Joe

Maven
04-10-2005, 06:59 PM
My experience with the standard Lee Loader, also in .243Win. (with dipper-thrown charges) mirrors Joe's except I was using a Ruger #1. ...Maven

StarMetal
04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Maven

That standard Lee loader made me the neck sizing only shooter that I am to this day. I always figures besides having a quality rifle that Lee loader performed because it neck sized only and it had a very straight inline bullet seating arrangement. There are very few rifles that I full length size for. I do have all the full length sizers to bring the brass back into specs occassionally.