PDA

View Full Version : Slugging the Enfield & Other ???'s

Farmall 1066
04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Slugged the bore of my newly acquired Enfield last night, bore right at 303-304, grooves .311-312", as near as I can measure the damn 5 grooved things! But about the center 12" of barrel, my lead slug pushed through much more freely. I cant see any worse wear of the rifling there, and I cant think of any other reason for decreased resistance on the slug than oversize or worn rifling. I can't get an accurate measurement, since the barrel is tighter at both ends, and the slug will just be sized to the tighter diameter.
What do you reccomend to do in this situation? Size .314 and hope for the best?
This is also my first attempt at loading cast in a bottlenecked cartrige. Any suggestions for equipment or techniques? I planned on using the Lee C-185 and the Lyman 314299 as good places to start.
Andy

docone31
04-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Boy, I know that one well!
My Smelly, I got a mold that dropped at .312. 20 min. of berm!! Undaunted, I got some more molds and got worse patternings.
I had read about paper patching.
I got a lead on prime casting sizing, and sized my prime at .308. Then with two wraps of Mead Traceing paper, I got .3135. 6 min. of berm. I got a sizing die of .314. A dime at 100yds.
Those barrels are someing to size for. Once you find your sweet spot, they dance.
I use the Lee C185. It has the nose diameter needed. The rest is paper.
I am a believer of paper patching now.
To get the .314, I use two wraps of lined notebook paper. That gives me .317-.318. That I size down to .314. My barrel slugs at .312-.313. I also have that opening at the barrel lug hold down. I suspect, there is more pressure wear on the band area where the barrel was pulled into the forestock.
I sized my first paper to .3135, then smeared a little Clover Lapping compound. Lightly. Once I fired these, the bore "straightened" out. Then firing .314, I got results. My search for the size stopped there.
Once you get it dialed in, that rifle is a joy to carry, fire, and just handle.
Just my 2c.

Larry Gibson
04-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Size .314" with the 314299. Also with the C312-185 if they drop .313 or larger. I've found 28-30 gr of 4895 with a 1/2 gr dacron filler to shoot quite well in most every SMLE with groove depths not more than .314". Start at 27 gr and work up to 31 gr in 1/2 gr increaments. Let the rifle tell you what specific charge it likes. The barrel is what it is so stop worrying about it. I've shot lots of milsurps with loose spots in the bores like yours and they always have shot quite well. Besides, you should size the bullets to the throats not the groove depth as is commonly believed.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
More then likely the loose spot in the middle of the barrel was an inconsistency in the manufacturing of the barrel. Many will tell you that is the difference you may feel in el cheapo barrel and a quality barrel from a name manufacturer. I really can't see how a barrel would wear in the middle and not anywhere else.

Size as big as your chamber or throat will let you...as long as it's over groove size you should see some encouraging results.

Joe

mold maker
04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Size .314" with the 314299. Also with the C312-185 if they drop .313 or larger. I've found 28-30 gr of 4895 with a 1/2 gr dacron filler to shoot quite well in most every SMLE with groove depths not more than .314". Start at 27 gr and work up to 31 gr in 1/2 gr increaments. Let the rifle tell you what specific charge it likes. The barrel is what it is so stop worrying about it. I've shot lots of milsurps with loose spots in the bores like yours and they always have shot quite well. Besides, you should size the bullets to the throats not the groove depth as is commonly believed.

Larry Gibson

Larry,
Is this not where a bore lapping might improve everything?

StarMetal
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Why bore lap it and make the bore larger then what it already is? Along with the grooves. A loose spot in the middle of the barrel isn't going to hurt a thing. I'll tell you what will polish up the bore and grooves and that's shooting some paper patched bullet out of it. I've shot many rough bored military rifles that shot just fine and didn't lead up.

Joe

curator
04-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I agree with Larry Gibson, size to throat diameter not groove diameter. Tightness towards the breech in a newly acquired Lee Enfield may well be due to copper fouling, not inconsistant bore diameter. It may also have a bit of "frosting" that doesn't show looking down the bore. I have slugged a lot of Lee Enfield barrels (100s?) and rarely found one tight near the breech end. Loose at the muzzle end, you bet. Most show a slight taper from throat to muzzle. Now 7.7 Jap Arisaka barrels are a different story, but even these shoot lead boolits well if the bullets aren't too hard or pushed too fast.

legend
04-15-2009, 03:34 AM
this post reminded me to cerrosafe my smle (i had once then lost the measurements) no wonder the 314s shot all over it is 316,i will start shooting it again (AT 317) and renew the relationship...

thank you

Farmall 1066
04-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Curator, your fouling theory may well be correct. I have hit this thing with Sweets about 5 times now, and have left the barrel wet overnight with Hoppe's #9 for several nights now. Eavh evening, I patch out more and more green (Hoppe's) and blue (Sweet's) fouling.
I have cleaned alot of fouled barrels in my day, but never anything even remotely close to this. I'll keep soaking and patching nightly.
Andy

Boz330
04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Curator, your fouling theory may well be correct. I have hit this thing with Sweets about 5 times now, and have left the barrel wet overnight with Hoppe's #9 for several nights now. Eavh evening, I patch out more and more green (Hoppe's) and blue (Sweet's) fouling.
I have cleaned alot of fouled barrels in my day, but never anything even remotely close to this. I'll keep soaking and patching nightly.
Andy

3 words, electronic bore cleaner. It is the fastest way with a severely fouled bore. Really takes all the work out of it.

Bob