PDA

View Full Version : Does Monotype lead ingots produce cavities?

Marlin Hunter
04-13-2009, 08:11 PM
( I wasn't sure where to post this)

Does Monotype lead ingots produce cavities?

(No, I don't plan on eating them...)

I bought some monotype printing lead off eBay. I melted some and poured it into a Lee ingot mold. Every ingot has a hollow cavity in the side. Does Monotype lead shrink more than wheel weight lead? I noticed the Monotype ingots are very shiny, while the WW lead is dull gray.

briang
04-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Cast a couple boolits and measure them. Then compare to ww boolits

454PB
04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Actually, monotype shrinks LESS than WW alloy. It's not unusual for there to be a cavity in the side of an ingot, it's caused by a cold ingot mould.

Fresh ingots of just about any lead alloy are shiney and only dull (oxidize) due to age or moisture.

hammerhead357
04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
+1 for what 454pb said. I also think you may have trouble with the spout of your pot freezing up do to the copper content of the monotype. It can be frozen out of a melt. It just takes extra time....Wes

Marlin Hunter
04-18-2009, 07:13 PM
+1 for what 454pb said. I also think you may have trouble with the spout of your pot freezing up do to the copper content of the monotype. It can be frozen out of a melt. It just takes extra time....Wes

I think you are right about the spout. I had to disassemble my pot and clean it out.

Is there anyway to remove the copper from the lead?

Can I melt the lead in a large cooking pot on a hot plate and skim or flux the copper out? :confused: