PDA

View Full Version : The Easter Zinc Coup

Gunslinger
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I spent the Easter casting and smelting. Some with luck... some not!

About a week ago I picked up 350lbs WWs from a new supplier! At my casting buddy's we filled the iron put with a good load of weights and put it on the flames. I fired up the casting pot and started running 2 molds.

The darndest thing happend... weights wouldn't smelt properly. We crancked the heat up a bit and let it stay there for 20 minutes more. By that time the lead had molten though.... the very little you could spot under all the junk weights. And I was like "Hmmmmmmmmm"... I took up a handfull of the weights, no not from the pot, from the buket he he. A lot of zinc... I took it head first in the bucket and started plowing through it like Uncle Scrooge in his money tank :shock:

ALL Zinc, or well.... about 70-80 percent :twisted: I guess I'll have to sort out the lead instead of zinc in those buckets.

By the time we'd removed the junk from the pot I think some of the zinc had melted. There was clean alloy though... but in the melt was also a grainy grey slush that could be skimmed... but seemed to multiply. We threw it all away and put over a pot of weights from a better batch... ended up nice and clean.

And I ended up casting some very nice RCBS 158gr SWC and some Lee 120gr TC's. About 50 pounds total of fine looking boolits :castmine:

AND my pops told me one of the churches in the other hicktown next to our hicktown, was restoring their roof... We went and found a few big pieces. The biggest was 10 inches wide and 3 feet long... probably about 55 lbs... the other piece was a little smaller!! I'll definately go back and ask what they do of all that perfect boolit alloy!

All in all a good easter [smilie=s:

Tom Herman
04-14-2009, 08:44 AM
I hope you can find more.
Sorry to hear about the Zink wheel weights. I am hoarding wheel weights, as they will be getting harder to find than scrap lead.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Gar
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I gave up on WW's around here, way to much zinc and steel in the buckets now-a-days.
Reclaimed shot is working well and I have access to more than I could ever use. Rotometals can supply the tin and I can still find scrap lead here and there.

Gunslinger
04-14-2009, 09:23 AM
One thing's for sure, next time I'm offered WWs I'll go through them and see how much zinc is in them. After you've spent a few hours sorting them, the zinc weight are easy to recognize.

What do you guys do for hardness then? Do you use lino or WQ??

docone31
04-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Don't discount zinc if you paper patch! I am doing it in my .303, and .30s and they are doing real well. Sometimes I mix a little lead in the batch just to try.
They are a little smaller, lighter, and a devil to size, but, my rifles do not seem to care!
With paper, and zinc, if I can see it, I can hit it.

Gunslinger
04-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Hmmm.... If I had stumbled over 100 lbs of free lead just 1 year ago, I would have thought what the heck do I need that for?! So maybe I should keep the zinc weights "just in case" I start paper patching in the future....

Shiloh
04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I've been able to scrounge from different sources. A little here, there, ect...
Is there a date when lead WW will be no more?? or are they to just be phased out??

Shiloh

Old Ironsights
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't discount zinc if you paper patch! I am doing it in my .303, and .30s and they are doing real well. Sometimes I mix a little lead in the batch just to try.
They are a little smaller, lighter, and a devil to size, but, my rifles do not seem to care!
With paper, and zinc, if I can see it, I can hit it.

Zincified Alloy works fine for (patched) Round Ball too...

Ancesthntr
04-14-2009, 12:47 PM
While using zinc for centerfire bullets is a big no-no, don't discount the value of the zinc itself. According to http://www.coinflation.com/coins/basemetal_calculation.php?picture=1982_lincoln_zin c_cent.jpg&quantity=1.00&zincprice=0.6189&copperprice=2.0934&manganeseprice=2325.00&nickelprice=4.8292&Submit=+Calculate+ the price of zinc is just under $0.62/pound. Bring it to a scrapyard and sell it, or exchange it for lead or lead alloy...after all, we're sort of in the recycling business.