PDA

View Full Version : Weight of a bucket of range scrap

sheepdog
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I know a bucket of wheel weights is 150 to 175 depending on size but storing up my range scrap and afraid, due to the smaller denser size of pieces it might be in excess of 200, beyond what I think a 5 gallon can take. Anyone had a full toppped off bucket of range scraps? Talking small stuff, 22 projectiles.

jdgabbard
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
My buckets of WWs usually weigh in the area of 130 pounds. Not usually more. Just a guess, but range scrap may weigh upwards of 150-170. Still, its going to be heavier then you want to lift. At about 130 my buckets start to really strain holding themselves together.

ghh3rd
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll bet that it weights much much more than WW since it would be so much compact and no clips. Perhaps you could fill up a 1 gal milk jug with random pickings, weight it and let us know. Now I'm curious.

Randy

imashooter2
04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Dunno, but I do know that I can lift a bucket of WW into a car trunk by myself. Range scrap I need help or I take 25 to 33% off the top first. A Tidy Cat bucket of range scrap weighs over 120 pounds.

captain-03
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't know -- but I can not pick one up!!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/Range001.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/Range003.jpg

targetshootr
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Hard to say except that it would weigh more than you wanna try to lift. I say that as someone who herniated a disc lifting a bucket of ww.

Shiloh
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Two thirds full 5 gal. buckets are as much as I go. More than that and they are unmanageable, at least for me.

2 1/2 Gal buckets are 3/4 full one in each hand and rest after 25 yards. This is work fellows, but what are you going to do if you need lead??

Shiloh

ghh3rd
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Nice pics - what a beautiful sight!

Ancesthntr
04-14-2009, 12:51 PM
At about 130 my buckets start to really strain holding themselves together.

Who cares about the buckets - what about your back or your abdominal wall? I damned near got a hernia lifting 3/4 of a bucket of WWs out of my trunk last week (I had to lift it over an 8-inch lip, while bending forward). I'm not doing that again - half full is my limit from now on, as it is difficult to enjoy casting or shooting if you get a hernia or bust a disk. Same for range lead, whenever I get ahold of some.

Gunslinger
04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Captain-03: That has got to be the nicest looking batch of range scrap I have ever seen!! What did you do? Wash them individually [smilie=p:???

jonk
04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Depends- are we talking indoor or outdoor? I usually shovel a bucket full of outdoor scrap including twigs, dirt, etc- and get maybe 15 pounds of lead per bucket. The rest is dirt. If it is dry sandy soil I just sift it over another bucket and take it back to the range; if muddy I run it through with a pressure washer over my compost pile and return a bucket of topsoil in its place.

I don't do that often, too much effort.

Down South
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
How heavy would a bucket of range scrap be? A heck of a lot more than I would try to pick up. I’m not so sure a bail on a 5-gallon bucket would even come close to supporting that much weight. I bend the bails on bucket full’s of WW when I pick them up by the bail using the front end loader on my tractor. Range scrap I believe would go as much as 100lbs more than WW.

R.Clem
04-15-2009, 04:51 AM
As I posted elsewhere in the forum, my last bucket of range lead, not full to the top, weighed 183#.
If you fill it to the top, I would guess it to be in excess of 200#.
Take a milk jug or similar with the top cut out leaving the handle portion, and leave the 5 gallon bucket in the vehicle. Fill the jug with scrap and tote it back to the bucket. About 40# per jug and 5 trips is about an hour, then you only have to worry about getting the scrap out when you get home.

JIMinPHX
04-15-2009, 05:58 AM
A full bucket of recovered bird shot is right about 250 pounds. I would expect the range scrap to be near that. I can slide those buckets across a floor, but forget about picking them up. I haven't split a bucket yet, but I just filled them last Friday & I used new buckets.

Shiloh
04-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Captain-03: That has got to be the nicest looking batch of range scrap I have ever seen!! What did you do? Wash them individually [smilie=p:???

A staged shot for sure!!

Where are the dirt clogs, leaves, sticks, and wood chips from the target backers?? [smilie=l:

Shiloh