PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in or near Ft. Stockton TX

Wayne S
04-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Anyone here live in , or near Ft. Stockton, TX ??
please PM or E mail me I have a request
Thanks

Bear324
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Don't live there but have hunted there; how can I help?

Bexar

Echo
04-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Halfway between Houston (ancestral home) and Tucson (present digs) - 550 miles is too much of a commute. Sorry...

Recluse
04-14-2009, 12:15 AM
It's a regular fuel stop when we're flying to southern New Mexico.

Great folks out there. You can't beat West Texas for hospitality.

:coffee:

August
04-14-2009, 10:39 AM
There is no place that is anywhere close to Ft.Stockton TX. Therefore, no one lives close to no place that is anywhere near nowhere.

Gunfixer
04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Its not the end of the world, but you can see it from there>
Right around 300 mi from me

Char-Gar
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Nothing much in Ft. Stockton to speak off, other than a winery a few miles out. It was started by Texas A & M to see how "venticulture" did in that part of the world. It did very well, and the University sold out to Cordier Estates a French company who used it to import and bottle their poor quality French wine the frogs would not drink. They also took tankers of the stuff to Gallo in California to mix with other lousy wines to make their jug wines.

The wine from Fort Stockton is quite good, but you have to read the labels with good glasses to see where it is from. If it says France, don't buy it. It is says America it may or may not be any good. If it says Texas it is probably a decent wine.

Their really good stuff is their "reserve"wines, that you can only get at the winery. The only way they will sell it to you is if you take a tour through the Ft. Stockton Chamber of Commerce. The last stop of the tour is their wine shop where you can load up. To big a PITA when there are other good wines you can guy in your local wine emporium.

longhorn
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
You're info's a little dated, Chargar. An Austin resident named Pat Prendergast took over the St. Genevieve winery in January 2008 and formed Mesa Vineyards. Domaines Cordieres is out. I don't know much about their wines, but their premium lines are available at my local (only 15 miles....) package store. BTW, the damned Aggies had nothing to do with any of it----PUF lands controlled by UT, and the deals were all brokered by UT. Hook 'em.

Char-Gar
04-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Good to know the frogs are out. I will take another look at the wine. I bought lots of it before the French took over and things went to hell real quick. I quit them several years ago. Now as to the Aggies... My daughters room mate in College (McMurry Univ.)was from Ft. Stockton and her father was the hot shot fellow that got the vinyards going and he was most certainly with A&M. That is the extent of my personal experience, and what part UT played I dont know.

Even though I am employed by the UT system, I have no particular loyalty to them. My son did his undergraduate work at UT and his graduate work at A&M. You would think he would be conflicted, but he has no deep feelings for either school, but he comes by that naturaly.

I managed to pick up a few degrees as I went though life and feel no particular loyalty to any of those schools. I paid full price for the education and nobody gave me jack, so I don't figure I owe them anything. I guess we have no school spirit DNA. I just never got infected with that. When I was not in class or hitting the books, I was working at something and just didn't have much time for campus life. Screw 'em!

DLCTEX
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I lived in Ft. Stockton in 1955 ( I was 10) and a neighbor kid and I found a round ball of lead about 14 inches in diameter in an old abandoned print shop. We hoped it was silver. Wish I had it now.