PDA

View Full Version : Sweet load for MAS

jonk
04-13-2009, 11:41 AM
MAS 36-51. 28.5 gr of IMR 4895. Lyman 314299 sized to .311 GC. WQWW, 50/50 lube. Seated just off the lands 1/1000" or so.

I tried 10 shots with no filler, 10 with PSB, and 10 with Dacron. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the ones without filler shot best, and shot a ragged 1 hole group! The dacron ones went all over the place and the PSB was sort of in between. I was really surprised as a 150 gr flat nose I had tried was all over the paper the week before.

No leading.

I ain't arguing but am surprised. I guess the case was just small enough that I got good ignition with the light charge and heavy bullet. Now if I could correct the windage... the Frenchies bronze brazed the front sight in place; apparently windage correction was supposed to be done by an armorer by replacing the rear sight aperture. :(

StarMetal
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
MAS 36-51. 28.5 gr of IMR 4895. Lyman 314299 sized to .311 GC. WQWW, 50/50 lube. Seated just off the lands 1/1000" or so.

I tried 10 shots with no filler, 10 with PSB, and 10 with Dacron. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the ones without filler shot best, and shot a ragged 1 hole group! The dacron ones went all over the place and the PSB was sort of in between. I was really surprised as a 150 gr flat nose I had tried was all over the paper the week before.

No leading.

I ain't arguing but am surprised. I guess the case was just small enough that I got good ignition with the light charge and heavy bullet. Now if I could correct the windage... the Frenchies bronze brazed the front sight in place; apparently windage correction was supposed to be done by an armorer by replacing the rear sight aperture. :(

What was the distance? You should try a MAS 49/56. They have an adjustable front and rear sight. The rear aperture sight has a very very small aperture too. You can really adjust these for any load. Mine was rechambered in 308.

Joe

jonk
04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
I do have a 49/56. And I miss the adjustable sights...

I was at 50 yards. If it shoots that well at 50, can't wait to try at 100. I figured as soon as I found a load that worked, I'd mess with windage somehow. If I can find the properly calibrated rear sight, great, otherwise I may buy a spare standard sight, tap the sight, fill in with a screw, and re-drill off side. Or else just try to heat/break free the brazed front sight. It's otherwise in a dovetail.

Throwback
04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I have never felt a need for filler with either of the 4895s

JudgeBAC
04-13-2009, 10:10 PM
The rear sight apertures on these rifles have numbers on them + and - ; they are calibrated to adjust the impact left or right. Unfortunately, I have never seen a chart on which number does what. Mine was shooting way left so I ordered an aperture from Numerich and it helped some. Then I had a gunsmith hand file the hole to change the impact some more.

If anyone has an armorers chart or whatever written info they used it would be a boon to us MAS owners. These are pretty neat little guns, they grow on you. You know what they say about French rifles; "new unfired, dropped once"

jonk
04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Ask and ye shall receive for that much I know:

There should be a letter or several signs stamped on the top of the rear sight leaf, indicating if it is centered or offset.

Value of offset
N = 0 (centered)
-4 or +4 = bring the group 135mm down or up at 200M
-8 or +8 = bring the group 270mm down or up at 200M
D4 or G4 = move the group 135mm to the right or to the left at 200M
D8 or G8 = move the group 270mm to the right or to the left at 200M

For the post WWII rifles there are 24 different rear sight leaf available for adjustment beside the N sight and only 8 for the pre WWII models.