PDA

View Full Version : 1000yds revisited; Hurray

Johnny bravo
04-13-2009, 09:10 AM
First of all, I thank all of you fine gentlemen who gave me the advice and support after my last debacle that made this possible. Thank you again.

Well, after much testing and a new load, I was back at the 1000yd firing point yesterday afternoon. The day was extremely grey and murky but quite warm at 16C and quite high in humidity. Wind was very gentle blowing from 1-7 o’clock at about 1-3mph. Visibility was bad.

Listening to advice, I had increased my powder charge to 70gr of Swiss 3. The Lyman Postell was cast at 20:1 (last time it was 30:1).

Anyway, I fired a total of 15 shots, wiping every other shot only( last time I wiped after every shot). Fouling was extremely soft:-D. My very first sighting shot was a miss as it was too high at 12 o’clock. So, I reduced my elevation by 2mins and from there it was hits all the way except the last shot. Windage was hardly touched and remained at 0 pretty much all the while.

The score is as follows.
0 3 4 4 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 3 3 3 0 :drinks:

I am quite surprised why I missed the last one:confused:; but hey, I am not complaining. This is after all my second ever try at this distance and I am pleased as punch.

Thanks again. Much obliged.

ATB.

Don McDowell
04-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Johnny glad you got things started under control at the 1k yd line. Keep the steady pressure on.

BPCR Bill
04-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Great shooting Johnny! I have my first long range match of the year the weekend after this. I'm going out a day early and camping on the range, get a chance to do some sighters. Like Don says, keep up the pressure!

Regards,
Bill

John Boy
04-14-2009, 01:52 AM
FYI - here is the table of Swiss granulations in the UK and US:
Swiss #1 powder is sold here as 4Fg.
Swiss #2 powder is sold here as 3Fg.
Swiss #3 powder is sold here as 2Fg. ... grain size Johnny used
Swiss #4 powder is sold here as 1&1/2 Fg.
Swiss #5 powder is sold here as 1Fg.

Johnny, what does a UK target look like for scores as yours:

The score is as follows.
0 3 4 4 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 3 3 3 0

PS: Bravo on your shooting skills

Johnny bravo
04-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Thank you.

BPCR Bill, Good luck on your comp next :Fire:.

I do intend to stick to it as Sunday was deceptively a mild day due to lack of any wind or mirage. But now it gives me the confidence to plod on.

John, your 900/1000yd NRA targets are smaller than ours I think. The overall target board is 70in high x 118in wide. The scoring ring diameters are as follows;
5 ring = 24in
4 ring =48in
3 ring=72in
2 ring(outer)=96in

The black aiming mark that we see is the 48in 4 ring as the rest is all white. The day when I can put all of the shots inside the 5 ring, then I’ll consider myself a good shot.

Regards.

John Boy
04-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Johnny - thanks for the details on UK NRA targets. Here's the dimensions on the US NRA 1000 target:
4.7 800, 900 and 1000 Yard Target -
(a) NRA No. LR
Aiming Black (inches)
X ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.00
10 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20.00
9 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30.00
8 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44.00
Rings in White (inches)
7 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60.00
6 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 72" x 72" square

Complete list of target sizes ... http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/BlkPwdr/bp-w04.pdf

Two or 3 times a year, I drive 7hrs to visit my buddy, Homer. He is a 48" x 82" silhouette of a buffalo at 1000yds. I know your joy hitting a 1000yd target cause when I first did ... I almost did a Pee - Pee Dance

And - what he looks like ... http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgway%20Oct%202008/PDRM3572.jpg
Yep, I got lucky too ... lead splashes in the X (10") and 10 rings (20")

Johnny bravo
04-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi John Boy, mistake on my part. I meant to say your targets are actually smaller than our NRA 98 targets. Thank you for the target spec attachment; makes a good reference. What you call the X-ring is called a V-bull here and is 14.5in dia on our 1000yd target. Any shot striking the board outside of the outer ring scores 1 point.

I have heard of this Homer. Should meet him one day;)

I would love to shoot a silhouette, but the namby-pamby laws that be here wouldn’t allow us. Not at Bisley anyway. I also realise shooting at shapes is a different ball game altogether than shooting at black circles. My shooting wouldn’t be complete until I do those silly-wets one of these days.

BTW, what's that rifle you're holding?

ATB

John Boy
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Johnny, the rifle that I was shooting with that day was a Uberti HiWall with the 'cheap' Pedersoli LR Creedmoor vernier ... that hasn't let me down yet :-D

I also shoot a Pedersoli Quigley, weighing 13#s but it is outside the weight limit for silly wets. And believe it or not, my 1st good group of 2.25 x 7" at 600yds was with the H&R Buffalo Classic that has a Green Mountain barrel. It too is very accurate to 1000yds but unfortunately is not legal for NRA matches. All the rifles are 45-70