PDA

View Full Version : Identify powder .308 WCC blanks:1962

ace1001
04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Identify powder .308 WCC blanks: It is boxer primed. Thin cardboard plug. There is 18gr. of 1/16 inch long cycindrical powder with a central hole through it. Dated 1962. What would it be good for? Ace

TCLouis
04-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Does it somewhat resemble SR 4759?

One has to really watch blank powders, some of them are very fast and with any sort of bullet weight have pressure issues at any loading level.

Ben
04-13-2009, 08:22 AM
ace1001

Please do a search on " Blank Powder ".
I think you'll find that the powder IS NOT safe with any projectile in any cartridge.

ace1001
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I wondered about 2-3 gr. for SASS mousefart loads. Ace

Ben
04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
The powder IS NOT safe with any projectile in any cartridge

ace1001
04-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you know something about this particular powder, or blank powders in general? Blank powders have been used by the military to load subsonic pistol rounds for supressed guns.
And red dot is used in SASS for very light loads for consistency. Also in duplex loads to get quick pressure to burn very slow powders.
There is a load and a gun that can handle it, but it would be very easy to double charge. Dangerous stuff, I agree. I would want to hand weigh every case. Ace

jhrosier
04-13-2009, 05:30 PM
... What would it be good for? Ace

Blanks.

There have been warnings against using blank powder under a projectile for 50 years.

Jack

Ben
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
ace1001 :

With the price of modern powder being $20 - $25 a pound, I can't see why you would want to endanger yourself or others with an " unknown blank powder " like this.
Like jhrosier has mentioned .....there have been warnings against the use of blank powder for many years.
If I wanted a fast burning powder , the very last place I'd be looking for it would be blank powder.

Phil
04-14-2009, 09:47 PM
OK, try this. Blank powder is, or was, used for filler in HAND GRENADES. It is NOT a progressive burning propellant. it is an EXPLOSIVE.

Crap like this is why I always go to the range when no one else is there.

Phil

Slowpoke
04-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Does it somewhat resemble SR 4759?

One has to really watch blank powders, some of them are very fast and with any sort of bullet weight have pressure issues at any loading level.

Cartridges of the World says

Some 7.62 NATO Blanks M82 were loaded with 17.5 gr of SR 4759

good luck

beagle
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes, very early 7.62 blanks were loaded with a non-cannister lot of 4759.

It did not possess the same burn rate as the 4759 that we know and love today.

IF....you had a huge quantity of blanks......IF they were of the same lot....IF it actually the 4759 that I spoke of....IF you were real lucky. You might find a load to use in light cast loads.

BUT...as has been posted here, the risk is not worth it. Instead, use the 7.62 blanks to decimate wasp nests in the summer. Does a hell of a job at that using the muzzle flash and blast./beagle

Ben
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Well spoken beagle, IF is a mighty big word , just to have 2 letters in it.

My reloading safety procedures are ALL about taking the IF's out , not adding them.

Ben

Larry Gibson
04-15-2009, 02:41 PM
According to TM 9-1305-200 it is SR4759. If I had a sufficient quanity of it to make the effort worthwhile I would start at 1/2 of the recommended 4759 load for a given cast bullet and work up carefully watching for pressure signs. That is what I would do, what you do is up to you.

Larry Gibson

Nora
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't even think of trying to use it unless under dire situations, to which we are not currently in. It is an explosive powder designed for one thing. To cycle an action with an obstructed barrel. IMVHO just spend the $20 on a pound of known powder and call it good.

tomcat
05-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Just sell the the blanks to a Reenactor. They are worth way more whole to one of us. Then use the money to buy some known powder to reload with.

Linstrum
06-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll add my 2 cents. Back in the late 1960s I used to pick up empty .30-06 and 7.62 NATO cartridges from a private ranch leased to the U.S. Navy from the Korean War to the early 1960s at the foot of the Conejo Grade at Camarillo, California, where the Naval Construction Battalion Sea Bees from their Port Hueneme HQ used to hold mock battles. I found a lot of duds that still had the blank powder in them that was a bright silver granular material that looked like aluminum flake. Unconfined in a pile it would explode when ignited, and because of that property it would appear to have no use for pushing a projectile. I sure wouldn't mess around with that stuff AT ALL.

rl550

Bad Water Bill
06-15-2009, 03:01 AM
This is where reloading gets a bad rap. Many people tell you DO NOT do something. The books references and experience of others is cast to the wind as meaningless. This is the second time tonight that I have read of people doing stupid things. Maybe I am getting old (73) but if a powder is old enough to no longer be listed in a book or if many people say DO NOT use it then it is time to pay attention and dispose of it in my garden. Handloading can be a safe hobby BUT only for those of us who pay attention to all safety information. All others LEAVE THE ROOM NOW.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure what prompts these sorts of questions--perhaps just open curiosity, or a desire to save money, or maybe the scarcity of reloading components at present.

I approach questions here with the idea that only "dumb" question is the one that goes unasked, and by "pounding" on a poster whose question content indicates relative inexperience--we run the risk of discouraging "new guy" questions. That is diametrically opposed to the founding principles that Ken set forth when he started the board. I think that open dialogue and succinct language concerning safety issues are of critical importance.

With that in mind, there is NO WAY I would use blank powder for any purpose other than soil amendment.

Shiloh
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
The powder IS NOT safe with any projectile in any cartridge

There have been warnings against using blank powder under a projectile for 50 years.

Jack

Need these fellows say more!!

This is a powder designed for a report, a loud boom,
Like a firecracker. Do not make an issue of this. DON'T USE IT !!

Shiloh