PDA

View Full Version : Help with Williams FP sights?

compass will
04-12-2009, 09:24 PM
So I bought a Williams FP-336 for my "H" serial number 336SC, only to discover this site is for the new version 336 which is drilled and taped on top for a scope.

Not all was a loss, My early 1920's marlin 93 had been drilled and taped for a scope years ago, and as luck would have it, the FP-336 bolted right up to the 93 :).

But I still needed a sight for my 336 so I bought the FP-94/36 with the side screws (which is what I thought I was buying the first time) and it works on the 336SC.

Last week I sighted in the 336 with the FP sight. My FP sights have the screw driver adjustments, not the target knobs. After sighting it in I thought I could 6:00 hold the chickens, and aim at the top of the rams and be OK.

Yesterday was Lever Gun Silhouette day, so I brought out the 336 (30-30 shooting Lee 170 grain cast boolits). Turns out I really need to adjust the FP sight for each distance. (but I still won the A class with a 27)

Now my question. the only place I can find the target knobs is Brownels.
They also list the sights, complete with the line "uses short windage target knob".

But I need the elevation knob, I could live without the windage knob. No where can I find if these 2 sights need the long or short elevation knobs.

anybody know the answer? I have called Williams in the past about an application and they were not very helpfull. (but I will try them again tomorrow)

Brownels also list a "Target Elevation Gib Lock Knob" Do I need this also?

Hurricane
04-13-2009, 08:08 AM
I believe you have your choice of the long or short elevation knob. If you wanted a windage knob, only the short knob would fit your sight. You probably do not need the gib lock knob since you plan to change the elevation a couple of times during each match. If you need another opinion call Brownells. They are very helpful. If you buy the wrong thing they are very good about returns.

Hurricane
04-13-2009, 08:12 AM
You also have the option of changing your sight setting with a screwdriver. The FP sight is click adjustable so you can make exact, accurate adjustments with a screwdriver.

Junior1942
04-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I've called Williams several times and received expert help each time.

C A Plater
04-13-2009, 10:21 AM
My FP-94/36 sight I put on a Marlin 94 used the long elevation target knob which I believe to be the standard size.

compass will
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone, yes they were very helpfull on the phone this time.

If this comes up again (and someone does a search) here is the answer they gave me on the phone.

The 336 uses the long elevation screw.
The 94/36 uses the short elevation screw.

I see C A Plater posted the 94 uses the long, so maybe i will also call brownals, and let them break the tie :)

Looking at both sights, I bet they both take the same screw.

EDIT: Great Brownells just replied to my email.
"Thanks for the inquiry. The stock number 962-157-250 Target Elevation
Knob, Short is the one you will need for both sights. "

Score so far:
336 1 long, 1 short
94, 1 long, 2 short.

Maybe the difference in the 2 is the long one just sticks up further then the short.

compass will
04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Just an update in case someone searches this website with this same question.

I ordered 2 short elevation target knobs, they both fit these 2 sights perfect!

Still not sure the difference between the long and short screws, both might work?