PDA

View Full Version : I’m gonna buy a new 30/30. Which lever gun?

Down South
04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I figure this has been beat to death but, I’m going to buy a new or like new lever gun in the 30/30 caliber. What gun would handle cast the best with the best accuracy? The rifle will be for hunting and just plain old plinking. I know that Marlin has a micro groove barrel and that may create a problem or two. But I like Marlins and my boolits will be GC. What rifle do you experts recommend?

6pt-sika
04-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I shoot a bunch of Micro Groove Marlin's and cast bullets have done exceptionally well in them all !

I also have plenty ballard rifled Marlin's that also like cast bullets I might add !

Personally I think you would be better of looking for a older 336A or 336SC to shoot cast in ! Not the present model 336A but the older one with the 24" barrel , half mag and no barrel bands .

You can find 336A's and SC's with Micro or Ballard rifling . I've had equally good results with both !

docone31
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I like the older Marlins, in 30-30. It is a small matter to change over to the 24" barrel. I made one with a full tube under.
It was Ballard rifleing. Good pointer also.

softpoint
04-12-2009, 10:19 PM
And I think if you can find a clean, older marlin,thatwould be a good choice Micro Groove is OK. I like ballard a little better, I bought a new 30/30XLR, had the barrel shortened to 20", recrowned, I bedded the forend, installed a wild west trigger. Stainless steel, ballard rifling, accurate, If you are going to buy new, give them a look.:drinks:

jh45gun
04-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Well if you do not plan to scope it nothing wrong with an older Winchester either. I prefer Winchesters over Marlins but that is my prefererence nothing wrong with either gun.

Down South
04-13-2009, 06:59 AM
I would be interested in one of the older models. Finding one locally might present a problem.

Well if you do not plan to scope it nothing wrong with an older Winchester either.That is very true. I may want to put a fixed power scope on the rifle later on. I'm planning on using open sights for a while.

jh45gun
04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
To me there is nothing finer than a Peep sight on a lever gun. For the ranges normally used for hunting thats all a person needs even with ageing eyes. Yea I have a 4 x scope on my 22 mag Henry but then I figure that for my purposes is more of a varmint gun due to the cartridge. My Winchester has a Williams Peep on it.

jlchucker
04-13-2009, 08:40 AM
As others may have mentioned, don't worry about cast bullets in microgroove barrels. Properly fitted, they are as accurate (maybe even more so) than the jacketed kind. All of my Marlins have microgroove barrels, and all shoot cast bullets very well. 30-30, 35 Rem, and 45-70.

kingstrider
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Winchesters but have bought a few over the last year or so in the $150-200 range. While I prefer the Marlins, its hard to complain at that price.

northmn
04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I have a Ballard gorrved Marlin and think it may be superior to the microgroove with hunting loads pushing 1900 fps. Winchesters do not seem to be all that fussy with cast bullets nor is the Marlin with Ballard rifling. While some get good results with microgroove I would recommend a Winchester for cast, even though I prefer the smoothness of the Marlin action. I know an individual who has shot more deeer with a 94 than many of us combined.

Northmn

pumpguy
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I shoot cast in all my Marlin levers. 30-30s, microgroove and Ballard, 32 Special, 35 Remington, 444 and 45-70 with Ballard. I can not tell a difference. Marlins are smoother, less complicated mechanically, and supposedly stronger. I would go with the Marlin.

felix
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Drive around the area to all the pawn shops. Buy 3 or 4 of them, with the absolute guarantee you can bring them back with zero penalty. Pick the one you like after shooting, and return the others. You don't want a new gun, anyway. ... felix

JDL
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
I can't badmouth the micro-groove barrels with cast boolits and wouldn't worry a bit if that was all I had to shoot. Mine range from 1961 (22 grooves) to 1978 (12 grooves) and all 3 shoot cast just fine, somewhat better than my Winchester but, that's unfair as the Marlins are all scoped with low power scopes. I'll agree with pumpguy on the advantages of the Marlin.
JDL

7x57
04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I prefer the Winchester for extended plinking/shooting sessions. With the open top, they are easy to run like a single shot.

NHlever
04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Well, I'll put a new twist on this old debate. I like Marlins, I've owned lots of Marlins, and I've carried them countless miles hunting. Trouble is that they seem to be some kind of sick jinx for me. I have never, never shot a game animal with one, and only once in my memory have seen a good game animal when carrying one. What's up with that I wonder? Last fall, I did see two bull moose (not legal) behind my house (one of them a very good bull) while carrying my .35 Rem., and was pretty excited about that, but am still not sure the jinx is fixed. Now, if I was carrying a half done Mauser conversion in most any caliber I would see horns for sure. I have carried Winchesters a lot too, and have shot game with them, and like them. I've had some failures to fire with the newer angle eject rebounding hammer guns on occassion, but I'll be shooting one later today, and will have fun with it. I like cleaning Marlins better, but I like carrying Winchesters better............ pick either, and you are in for lots of fun.

Dan Cash
04-14-2009, 09:36 AM
You can buy a good Marlin 336 for less than half the price of a Winchester. The 336 is so dirt simple to maintain you can't believe it and they will shoot extremely well.
Dan

Sixgun Symphony
04-14-2009, 09:59 AM
New? There are some very good deals to be had on used guns in this lean economy. Check the pawnshops and remember that prices are negotiable. It is a buyers market right now.

1Papalote
04-14-2009, 05:07 PM
What you desire is a Marlin 336 CB. While hard to find they are a joy to shoot. Mine are extremely accurate. The heavy octagon barrel holds well for shooting off your hind legs.

1Papalote

leadeye
04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I like Felix's idea, and you can't go wrong with a 336.

Four Fingers of Death
04-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Winchesters second hand are far more common and a lot cheaper than Marlins here in Australia. For non scope use, I'd definaetly go for a Winchester. For scope use, I'd definetly go for a Marlin, or maybe one of those new Mossbergs.

I can't see that the Winchester are not as tough or as reliable as Marlin's. I seen a swag of Wins and owned a lot over the years and have shot a lot of ammo out of them. I have never seen any break or have a problem. I have seen a few Marlins break firing pins (this is over a fourty year odd period, so its not an issue that pops up any day. I haven't included any observations from Cowboy action shooting, because here Marlins vastly outnumber the Winchesters and they see lotsssssssss of use. It seems to me that it is only the ones that have seen a lot of use over a number of years that have given any problems. They should be rebuilt or replaced I suppose, but usually by the time the cowboy has had them for that long they are very attached to them.

As far as cleaning goes, if your cleaning rod hasn't a tapered guide on it, you shouldn't be using it from either end of any rifle, so that's not really an issue. Turn the Wionchester upside down, put the tapered guide in the muzzle and you are good to go.

Buy a packet of A zoom snap caps, take them into the store and ask if you can cycle them throught the rifles, get the feel of them.

PS, I have a friend who is a lurker here and he finally bought a 94 Winchester in 30/30 for his cast boolits play. He is a clean from the rear devotee, and he strips and cleans his 94 in not much more time than it would take for a marlin strip down. Me, I've owned about 20-25 of them over the years, currently have 3x Win 94s, 5x 92s, 5x Marlins and have never taken one apart, they never needed it and if it ain't broke, I don't go out and fix it. The 1866 and the 1873 are another issue althogether :(, but thats not what we are discussing here.

Good luck, they are all good rifle and I talk too much.
Four Fingers.

missionary5155
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Good morning I own Both Brands and I would say Get the one you like best. Niether is any better. They Both shoot cats as good as I can shoot and they both are easy to load for. The only place I can argue is 30-30 ???? Why not get at least a 35 something or better a .38-55 or 375 Winchester. Then you can hunt BIG stuff and not be hampered with just a caliber.30.
Nutten against 30-30... but BIG holes are always better.
Mike in Peru

badgeredd
04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Realizing that your druthers would be for a 30-30, I have both and love both brands. Like Missionary said though, maybe you should consider all of the calibers including 32 Special. Yes there are more boolit available for the turties, but I've seen several semi-new used 32s in excelent condition. Also a 35 Remmy is a great cartridge. Felix has the best idea in my opinion, try a bunch if you can and pick the one you like best.

I am kinda half looking for a lever I can use in Lower Michigan IF they allow rifles with pistol cartridges. Brand preference might be a Winney, but I prefer an American made rifle. I've been reading everyone's comments on the lever action rifles and frankly still haven't decided on caliber.

Edd

NHlever
04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Don't forget that the 30-30 makes a wonderful 32-20 too. My 94 XTR weighs less than 7# with a small scope, and shoots sub inch at 50 yards often with the 3118 boolit, and only 5 grains of Unique. It's a hoot to shoot, and the gas checked 311316 on the other end will give you high end 32-20 loads easily.

Down South
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Good morning I own Both Brands and I would say Get the one you like best. Niether is any better. They Both shoot cats as good as I can shoot and they both are easy to load for. The only place I can argue is 30-30 ???? Why not get at least a 35 something or better a .38-55 or 375 Winchester. Then you can hunt BIG stuff and not be hampered with just a caliber.30.
Mike in Peru
Hi Missionary, one of the reasons that I’m looking for a 30/30 is one of my grandsons has a 30/30 already. I bought it for him a couple years ago new. Another reason is a used 30/30 will be easier to find in my area compared to other calibers. Another reason is that I have two 30 caliber moulds already and one of those being designed for the 30/30 lever guns. I can cast for my grandson plus myself without having to buy more moulds. .
I will try to find a good used 30/30. I had forgotten about the safety that the new Marlins have and I would like to get an earlier model that doesn’t have that safety. I may not be able to find one that has the Ballard rifling though.
At one time when I was a lot younger I had a Marlin 30/30 and I traded it for another rifle. That was back when money was scarce. I don’t trade guns anymore. If I buy one I usually keep it these days.

Four Fingers of Death
04-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Mike in Peru

What was that sticker on the muscle cars? "Cubic Inches Count!!!"

I can't afford a muscle car, but I do have a muscle bike, Kawasaki ZRX1200R, that's enough cubes on a bike as far as I'm concerned.

I have a few big bore levers, but a nice lil' 30-30 is a sweet thang! Good place to start. Having said that if I lived in places liek some of theplaces you guys live in where bad assed bears are likely to be encountered in my back yard, welllllllllll, it would be the 444 at least, or i ain't gonna go out inta da woods no how!

EMC45
04-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Marlin

docone31
04-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I had a 94, and 336. I prefered the fit of the 336 over the 94. It fit my hand better.
I started with a reciever, and built from there. It had originally been for a 30-30, so I stuck with that one. I went with the 24" barrel though and made a long tube to go with it.
worked out pretty well.

corvette8n
04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
buy them both, my first centerfire was a Marlin 336 in 30-30 circa 70's.
then I bought a Win 94 made in 1968, then I bought a Win 94 made in 1950, then I bought a win 94 made in 1951 but in .32ws, then I bought a Marlin 336 made in the 50's with ballard rifling. then I bought a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 then I bought a Puma in .45 Colt, ok I'm broke for now but lever guns are sure addicting.

Old Ironsights
04-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, here's my heretical 2p...

I like Winchester/Clones for Pistol Calibers (1866/73/92)

I like Marlin 1895/336 for tube-fed Rifle Calibers

I like the Savage 99 for Spitzers

But the 30-30 I will (hopefully) end up with is my Uncle's Savage Pump.

WickedGoodOutdoors
04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Get a Henry. It does not kick like the other lightwieghts. and It is the best made Lever Action youll find anywhere.

Char-Gar
04-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I have both Wincester and Marlin, but if one had to go it would the the Winchester and the Marlin remain. MG barrels are a non-issue with cast bullets. Here are the reasons I would keep the Marlin

1. Much easier to clean and and take apart.
2. A hair more accurate
3. Receiver is thiner
4. Easy to mount a scope if you want one...I don't
5. In theory a hair stronger, although are plenty strong enough.
6. I like the fact that the guts don't fall out the bottom every time you work the lever like the Winchester.
7. You can buy a good used Marlin cheaper than an equal Winchester.

The Marlin stock is a bit more bulky and "clubier". It can be thined down, detailed and refinished to make it much more elegant.

jh45gun
04-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Get a Henry. It does not kick like the other lightwieghts. and It is the best made Lever Action youll find anywhere.

Interesting I love my Henry 22 mag I think they make great guns. I find it interesting on a forum of Winchester and Marlin lovers some one is thinking outside of the box! :)

jh45gun
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
The Marlin stock is a bit more bulky and "clubier". It can be thined down, detailed and refinished to make it much more elegant.

Probably one reason I like the Winchester over the Marlin I think the Winchester carries better. I have NEVER seen a Marlin that was put on a diet and slimmed down before that would be interesting to see. I guess if I ever got one that might be a project.

Down South
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I went to my local pusher today and he didn't have the first 30-30 lever gun on his shelves (told you a used 30-30 would be hard to find here). I'll keep looking till I find one.

Four Fingers of Death
04-17-2009, 10:37 PM
"7. You can buy a good used Marlin cheaper than an equal Winchester."

Interesting Chargar the situation is always reversed in Australia, old 94s in 30/30 (about the only rifle calibre you will normally strike in Australia apart from the Big Bore series) sell for about $350-$500 and some of the newer ones will sell for a bit more, but I have never seen a decent Marlin for less than $600 or thereabouts.

Man, the prices those new Marlins are bring now is plumb scary.

Four Fingers.

jimkim
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM
I went to my local pusher today and he didn't have the first 30-30 lever gun on his shelves (told you a used 30-30 would be hard to find here). I'll keep looking till I find one.

That's hard to believe. They have five on the rack at our pawnshop.

shdwlkr
04-18-2009, 01:29 PM
downsouth
I have several win 30-30 and in different barrel lengths and for what you are talking about they will work. I don't see any really big difference between Marlin and Winchester unless you plan on putting a scope on the rifle then it is a Marlin or angle eject Winchester.
As to cost I have seen them in the last few months from 300-up depending on what you are looking for. With the current fear in the nation they just might getting scare again and give it a few months and things will settle down maybe. Don't stop looking at every place that sells firearms as you just never know what will be sitting on the rack.
I have a few that I have picked up in the last two years that where over looked by many and where just what I wanted and the price was in my range.
I have picked up a 357 mag in mdl 92, 2 winchester 30-30, a 45-70 and am looking at another 45-70.
I have 2 375 winchesters that are just fun to shoot with cast and I have jacketed bullets for them but they thump you harder when using jacketed bullets.
Good hunting and remember someone will be willing to part with a winchester or marlin 30-30 sooner or later and if your are there then it could be yours.
I am finding that if you see something you like and someone is selling or thinking of trading it in on something and it is your local firearms store so they know you then you just might get to look at it as they are making the deal. I got one of my 30-30's that way as my dealer saw me looking and handed it to me and asked what I would pay him for it. Stated my price and walked out with it 10 minutes later, the seller was just plain amazed it sold that fast. I know my dealer had to have made something on the deal but don't know how much and don't care as I got it for around 3-400 for a 26 inch octagon barrel winchester in 30-30 and in the right year for cast bullets which is what I was looking for. It has a nickel steel barrel and that is what you want in the older 30-30's. these where made in the early 1900's and still shoot just fine. You have to know what your are looking at and in what condition you will accept. I have another one that someone parkerized and no one wanted I got that one for a really good price and it shoots just fine. Had to find the rear elevator for the sight but that took me only two weeks and $10 so I am happy.
biggest thing to remember is that the outside doesn't always tell you the true condition of the rifle. Look them over real good then make a reasonable offer most times you will get the rifle if the person selling them knows how to be a good business person and not a crook.
Yes you are going to see that too. the 26 inch octagon that I have, I have seen two since that were price way higher like one was double and the other was over triple what I paid for mine and they where in just about the same condition.
my 3 cents

EMC45
04-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I voted Marlin earlier and will expound on why. Having owned both I like the Marlin better. The Winchester had too much play in the lever handle and it felt sort of sloppy when you worked the lever. I feel the Marlin is a good bit tighter all the way around. I have a 336 right now and really like it. I think the Marlin just feels sturdier and beefier.

Junior1942
04-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Try the "Spotted Dog" pawn in Columbia. July and August are the best months for pawn shop prowling as the guns pawned after hunting season are coming off pawn. Many guys buy a rifle before hunting season and sell or pawn it after hunting season. Some of them do it year after year.

StarMetal
04-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I voted Marlin earlier and will expound on why. Having owned both I like the Marlin better. The Winchester had too much play in the lever handle and it felt sort of sloppy when you worked the lever. I feel the Marlin is a good bit tighter all the way around. I have a 336 right now and really like it. I think the Marlin just feels sturdier and beefier.

I prefer the Winchester 94, tell you why. It's lighter, slimmer, handier, and all around better/stronger action then the Marlin. The proof of the pudding is in how reliable they are and accurate they are, not if the lever is loose, feel sturdier, etc..

Just my two cents.

Joe

Four Fingers of Death
04-18-2009, 11:11 PM
"I voted Marlin earlier and will expound on why. Having owned both I like the Marlin better. The Winchester had too much play in the lever handle and it felt sort of sloppy when you worked the lever. I feel the Marlin is a good bit tighter all the way around. I have a 336 right now and really like it. I think the Marlin just feels sturdier and beefier."

Shooting Wnchester 94s is like walking accross a suspension bridge, when it stops moving, start worrying :D
Four Fingers

Crash_Corrigan
04-19-2009, 05:10 AM
I lucked into a deal wherein I got a '29 94 in 30-30 with the nickel steel bbl and a Baker 12 Gauge s by s for $100.

The Baker still kicked like he++ just like the one Dad let me shoot when I was a kid. The 94 is a joy to shoot but I need to find a good cast load to get some accuracy with it. I put a Williams Receiver sight on it but at 50 yds I am only getting 6 to 8 inch groups with my load.

I have a decent pump shotgun in 12 gauge and I really do not need the Baker so I may trade it off or cut it down into a short barreled home defense surprise for the BG's.

Down South
04-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Try the "Spotted Dog" pawn in Columbia. July and August are the best months for pawn shop prowling as the guns pawned after hunting season are coming off pawn. Many guys buy a rifle before hunting season and sell or pawn it after hunting season. Some of them do it year after year.

Thanks for the heads up Jr. I'll give them a phone call tomorrow or Tuesday.

StarMetal
04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I have both Wincester and Marlin, but if one had to go it would the the Winchester and the Marlin remain. MG barrels are a non-issue with cast bullets. Here are the reasons I would keep the Marlin

1. Much easier to clean and and take apart.
2. A hair more accurate
3. Receiver is thiner
4. Easy to mount a scope if you want one...I don't
5. In theory a hair stronger, although are plenty strong enough.
6. I like the fact that the guts don't fall out the bottom every time you work the lever like the Winchester.
7. You can buy a good used Marlin cheaper than an equal Winchester.

It's a fallacy that Marlins are stronger then 94 Winnies. All that Marlin has to secure that round bolt in a little notch in the bottom of it that has a lug lock into it. Winchester's bolt is totally blocked off with a rectangle of steel. Don't give me the hooey balooey that because Winchesters are an open split receiver and not solid like Marlins, that it's weaker. Remember the Marlin blowup I posted a few weeks ago? You rarely see that with a Winchester. I reckon we need old Clarkm to do a blowup test on a Winchester and Marlin.

I grew up in a lever action whitetail deer hunting state, PA. I've never known anyone that had a problem with Winchesters, but I've seen many with the Marlins. Just to name a few: For some reason a Marlins firing pin won't strike the primer when the trigger is pulled. My best friend's 35 Rem done this. Yeah it was taken to a gunsmith and nothing could be found. Kept doing it from time to time. His uncle took possesion of it so don't know whatever become of it. Another problem: in snow or sleet rain I've seen Marlins freeze. Never saw a Winnie freeze. Not really a problem but Marlin puts too fat of stock on their rifles, especially the forarms. I've seen Mike Venturino write about that many years ago.

Another two cents
Joe

sundog
04-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I had to trim down the stock comb on a 336CS by about 3/4" and tapered it back to the heel. Way to much wood in the stock to the point that the comb would bruise the check bone. After the modification, it was a please to shoot.

+1 on forearms too thick on Marlins.

fireaway329
04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
all i can say is i love my marlin microgroove

StarMetal
04-19-2009, 01:06 PM
I have an early Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt. I love that rifle. I can't fault it one bit, but then again it's not a Model 336. I just don't fancy the 336's that much. If I did own one it would be one of the early ones with the four groove cut rifling. I would also prefer it with the straight grip stock too.

Joe

helice
04-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I too think that Felix has the right Idea!!!! Shoot a bunch of them and take the one that fits.

Down South
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I too think that Felix has the right Idea!!!! Shoot a bunch of them and take the one that fits. So far I haven't even found one. Maybe things will pick up later on in the year.

Jr, I called Spotted Dog and their shelves were empty of 30-30's too.

shdwlkr
04-22-2009, 03:19 PM
downsouth
You must realize that those black guns are the best for defense. Yea right
Second a lever in the hand beats nothing in the hand everytime and if you know how to use a lever it will do for 99% of the issues we as citizens will ever face. This is why I think they are no where to be found right now but if things settle down they will appear again.
I do wonder about the current buying spree that is going on in America and what the future holds
Just to give you and idea of what might in be our future read this:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=95733

Char-Gar
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
"Don't give me the hooey balooey that because Winchesters are an open split receiver and not solid like Marlins, that it's weaker.'

Starmetal/Joe - For sure and for sure I don't want to hand you any hooey balooey or any other kind of unsavory stuff. I was just expressing my opinion, based on 52 years of experience with both the Winchester and Marlin leverguns. It is OK is I hold an opinion different from yours isn't it?

I see that your "time out" didn't do much to improve your social skills.

shdwlkr
05-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I really don't see a great deal of difference between the marlin and the winchester unless you are talking about who still is making them then the marlin wins hands down. Each has it own issues and qualities and each has its own following.
If you want a 30-30 then get a 30-30 but if you can accept a bigger hole then look at the winchester bb 356 win or the 375 win. I have two of the latter and enjoy it very much. I even had one of them rebuilt to my specs with a 26 inch barrel and full tube and octagon barrel and it will take the full power house loads with the caliber much better then the 20 inch round tube one and my shoulder likes the longer heavier barrel better to so it gets used more.
I have several 30-30's as I have said earlier and I like them too. Right now I think my lever collection is around 7 so yes I do like them but remember as Paco says they are not a long range firearm. Ha Ha
If you can shoot and know your rifle you can do better then the loading books say and most likely better then they tell you. I know my 375 winchester isn't limited to less then 200 yard shots except by me not because the rifle won't shoot that far. Yes you have to get used to shooting it beyond just like those folks with the 45-70 and the short range it has. Seems to me that it has been shot at 7/8 of mile and hit the target.
No firearm is any better then the person behind it and there understanding of how that individual rifle works for them period. I don't shoot much past 200 yards anymore because of age, eyesight and most of all my range is limited to 200 yards. Can I shoot farther I might be able to but don't see the need anymore so don't try.
I do want to get to the NRA range in Raton NM and shoot at the buffalo and just see if I can hit it never would shoot at a real animal at that range.

Opiy
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
I saw earlier out of all the votes for the Marlins and Winchesters a couple said Henry. Just looking at a Henry do they not look like an amazing firearm. I have wanted one a long time I just need to move it up the gun list I guess. I would go Marlin if not Henry though just because my brother has one and it has served him well on some hunts.

Bret4207
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Get a Savage 99, the finest levergun ever made.

Phil
05-06-2009, 08:38 AM
I am not a great lever gun fancier but I have to go with StarMetal on this one. After seeing the pix of that blown up Marlin there ain't much metal where it needs a lot of metal. I see lots of posts about guys shooting really stout loads in Marlin's. You can get away with it and get away with it, clear up until it bites you in the face. I see lots of guys who are relatively new to handloading, shooting, casting doing things that scare the bat crap out of me. Thats why I really prefer to shoot alone. You never know what sort of bomb the guy next to you is playing with.

Rant mode off,

Phil

felix
05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Keep them below 40K cup using the likes of H335 and there should be no problems. ... felix

Down South
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Get a Savage 99, the finest levergun ever made.

I had forgot abot Savage. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

Down South
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I am not a great lever gun fancier but I have to go with StarMetal on this one. After seeing the pix of that blown up Marlin there ain't much metal where it needs a lot of metal. I see lots of posts about guys shooting really stout loads in Marlin's. You can get away with it and get away with it, clear up until it bites you in the face. I see lots of guys who are relatively new to handloading, shooting, casting doing things that scare the bat crap out of me. Thats why I really prefer to shoot alone. You never know what sort of bomb the guy next to you is playing with.

Rant mode off,

Phil
I'm with ya Phil, I very seldom use a public range. Been there and done that. I've seen too much stupid stuff done at public ranges. We have one public range that I may use three or four times a year. Usually that is in off times when hunting season is closed. During hunting season everyone wants to check their rifle to see why they missed the deer. Just before season everyone is wanting to sight in for season. When I do go to the range, it’s usually just after daylight and I have it to myself. When other folks start showing up then I leave.
I have my own range behind my house but I do have kin that live less than a quarter of a mile from me so I try to keep my shooting during the hours that it won’t bother them.

lathesmith
05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Just for discussion's sake, and maybe to get a few brickbats flying, how 'bout one of those new Mossberg levers? Any of you guys try one of these? I realize that they are supposed to be a "clone" of the Winchester, but there are some design differences, and it's worth a mention.
A Savage 99? They are in a class all by themselves, one of history's greats, I always thought. Then there's the Browning BLR, and the Winchester 88, and...uh oh, I better quit before I get carried away...
lathesmith

theperfessor
05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Wasn't the Rem 788 chambered in 30-30? I had one in .222 Rem and it seemed to be a real nice, simple gun.

handyrandyrc
05-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Here's my Mossberg 464. Although it is 30-30, I rechambered to 30-30 Ackley Improved.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg464-1.jpg
Skinner Sight on the rear. I love it.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg464-2.jpg
It's his Lo-Pro model. He threaded it 6-48 to screw right into one of the factory tapped receiver holes.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg464-3.jpg
A full body shot. 6 and a half pounds light.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg464-4.jpg
I bought these neat grub screws from Junior Doughty! They are much harder than the soft ones that plugged the holes before. Plus they have a great hex head that is less likely to strip, rather than a flat blade slot. Thanks, Junior!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg464-5.jpg
I was able to use the factory front sight with Dr. Skinner's rear peep sight.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/30-30vsAI.jpg
30-30 on the left -- fire-formed and re-sized 30-30AI on the right.

badgeredd
05-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Nice looking Mossy!

I do believe I'll have to look for one just to inspect it [smilie=1:.

I've seen a few 99s at local shows and they aren't running as high as I would have expected. I've wanted to get one for years, but availability hasn't coincided with the money supply :-D.

Edd

lathesmith
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Randy, that's one fine looking shootin' iron! That 30-30 AI has always intrigued me, looks like you have it figured out. Thanks for the pics and the post!
lathesmith