PDA

View Full Version : Semi Spicy Chopped Bourbon BBQ

jdgabbard
04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Ok guys. The Recipe has been perfected. And it is getting to be a little warmer outside, so while your planning for cooking the ribs on the grill tomorrow, you might as well break out your Crock and get ready to have the center of attention at the dinner table.

Ok, first you'll need about some meat. I use 2 small boneless roasts in a 4qt Crock. I think it comes out to like 4-5 pounds of meat. All I know is the crock is pretty full after just dropping the meat in there.

Next you'll want to make your cooking juice! Grab 4 cups of STRONG-ish coffee, 1 cup of Whorstershire, 1 cup of your pick Bourbon (I usually use Evan Williams, as its cheap and fits the bill), and finally enough minced or powdered garlic to give it some flavor. I usually use about a teaspoon full of powdered. Now mix all these together in a big bowl and pour over the meat in the crock.

Next, let it cook. It usually takes me about 8 hours. But times may vary depending on how much meat you have and whether your cooking on high or low.

After its cooking, drain off all that juice and pour it down the sink. Thats right. we're getting rid of the used whisky. Its not a sin, we burned off all the alcohol. So fear not. After you let it cool off enough to handle with your hands, break out your cutting board and get to work. Chop it, pull it, whatever. Just get it to the size you like. After your get it all chopped up, throw it back in the crock.

Now for the BBQ sauce. This is where I skimp a little. Making the cajun style BBQ sauce I was raised with is a chore. And to be honest one I like to skip if at all possible. But I have an alternative. I use a brand of BBQ called STUBB'S. I use the original flavor. And it is fairly close to what I would aim for in taste if I were to make my own. It comes in 18oz jars, and I get two for each crock but may not add it all to it. But before we can add the BBQ sauce, we have to modify it just for this recipe. Pour it out in a bowl. Add bourbon to meet your taste buds. Mix it up well and its done.

Next just mix it into the chopped meat, turn the cooker on warm and finish your ribs.

Be advised this works for both beef and pork, although I've noticed when cooking pork like this it can sometimes turn the finished product out to be a bit greasy. Your call. Hope you like.