PDA

View Full Version : Me smelting pewter!

fusil
04-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Bonjour mes amis,
I've seen many posts on smelting lead but not pewter. I asked the question a while ago 'why pewter' and got the answer. Went and swapped some wood posts, which I get free from work, for some pewter from the scrap guy.
I didnt know how safe it was so full lead smelting gear used, visor, mask, boots, welders apron & gloves.
Got 22 little ingots, average weight 230grams.
So here are some photo's.

fusil

Pepe Ray
04-11-2009, 01:55 PM
WOW!!!
Great haul!! - - -Congratulations! Is this for your own boolet manufacturing or for sale? IAC it's a nice source of tin.
Well done,
Pepe Ray

Charlie Sometimes
04-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I think pewter is around 90% tin? Definitely need to mix lead with it!
I don't think you could find a good scrap source of pewter anywhere around these parts.

ddeaton
04-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Little cast army men!

fusil
04-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Pepe Ray,
it's all for my personal stash [smilie=w:.
I'm in negotiations for 90lb's of lead flashing he has at the back of the yard.
We're up to 10 wood post's and some English beer :veryconfu

fusil

runfiverun
04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
good job fusil.
you are learning quickly.
2-3 of those should make you 100 lbs of boolits for your .38
well over 5,000 boolits

Nefarious Cohort
04-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Wow, I didnt even think about pewter being a good source of tin.
I'm gonna have to dig out the set of 12 pewter wine goblets that my wife just hated and made me put them in the shed.

Thanks for the heads up!

cajun shooter
04-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Give him the beer in a large amount first and he will forget about the wood post!

fusil
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Give him the beer in a large amount first and he will forget about the wood post!

Salut cajun,
its the other way round:???:
I get the posts for nothing from work. I have to buy my English beer :drinks:
I love the barter system in the little village I live. I get scrap window lead for beer, scrap pewter and lead for beer!!!!!
I think there may be a pattern showing here!!!:drinks::drinks::drinks:
FRANCE IS FULL OF ALCOHOLICS WHO DONT LIKE LEAD.[smilie=w:

fusil

Old Ironsights
04-14-2009, 08:37 PM
...FRANCE IS FULL OF ALCOHOLICS WHO DONT LIKE LEAD.[smilie=w: fusil

That sounds awfully Francophobic... I thought only us post WWII Yanks could be snarky about Frogs... :mrgreen:

(BTW, I had a nice time last I was in Nice... ;) )

mran1126
04-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Did you flux the pewter too?

fusil
04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Did you flux the pewter too?

Salut mran1126,
I'm glad I did flux and boy did I get some dross!!!!:twisted:

fusil

weakhand luke
04-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Stale beer in the bottom of the steins makes great flux!

Ron B.
04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Great job on the casting! Neither do I see much scrap pewter around these parts.
Like how you placed your burner/equipment in a tub! That's smart, clean, and safe!
Plus, no worries with the wind! Or, is the tub/vat actually part of your cooker system?

GRB

fusil
04-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Great job on the casting! Neither do I see much scrap pewter around these parts.
Like how you placed your burner/equipment in a tub! That's smart, clean, and safe!
Plus, no worries with the wind! Or, is the tub/vat actually part of your cooker system?

GRB

Bonjour GRB,
your right, its to stop the wind blowing out the flame and/or cooling the pot.
Its an old old drum I got from work, cut it to size and welded a hook on the side so I can hang it out the way.:-D

fusil

Recluse
04-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I love the barter system in the little village I live.
fusil

Très bien, mon ami. Très bien fait! It's been 25 years or better since I was in France. I remember Paris being one of the dirtiest, nastiest, snobbiest cities I'd ever been in anywhere in the world.

Kind of like New York City. . .

But in the French countryside, it was the difference between night and day. So many people there openly invited us into their homes, offered to feed us and displayed hospitality that rivaled that of my native Texas.

You are fortunate to live in the country, my friend, where the old traditions of French hospitality and goodwill can still be found.

Fantastic haul on the pewter you made. Very nice looking ingots!

:coffee:

fusil
04-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Bonjour Recluse,
it sounds like Paris has'nt changed a bit.
My workmate was there last weekend with his wife and hated it.:(
Thank you for the kind words for France.:drinks:

fusil

Recluse
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Bonjour Recluse,
it sounds like Paris has'nt changed a bit.
My workmate was there last weekend with his wife and hated it.:(
Thank you for the kind words for France.:drinks:

fusil

:hijack: but just temporary.

I've had my moments where I haven't been too enamored with "the French," but then I have to remind myself that your leaders often times do not speak for YOU any more than my leaders speak for ME.

And then I remember the pleasant excursions we had when traveling across Europe via the rail system. I think the difference really does come down between city people and country people.

I don't like most city people here in the U.S. either.

Nonetheless, count yourself very fortunate that you can follow and enjoy your shooting hobby in France. You have neighboring countries that just the mere thought of commoners owning firearms gives the rulers a bad case of indigestion.

Again, it looks as though you had a fine smelting session.

:coffee:

45nut
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
the mere thought of commoners owning firearms gives the rulers a bad case of indigestion.

that is pretty universal.