PDA

View Full Version : My Krag

Kragshooter
04-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Bought my first Krag at Gambles store for $5 back in the 50's. Just picked this one up for old times sake. Now I've spent a fortune on ammo, dies etc and having the best time. Will hit the range in a week or two. The scope is the old K4, trigger has no creep, light and crisp, rifling http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ftlupton/IMG_0151.jpglooks super and whoever did the stock did it right,

Char-Gar
04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Once you have a Krag, you will always have a Krag. I got my first one in 1960 and paid $15.00 for it. It was a choped miliatry and came with a Pacific receiver sight and an old Weaver 330 scope. The Krag requires a side/offset scope mount and being left handed, that jusk won't work for me.

In the vise now is a sorter Krag I am building. When done it will have either a Redfield or Lyman 48 receiver sight. I can't decide which one to mount.

Kragshooter
04-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Know what you mean, I now have the bug for a carbine, know I'll pay through the nose for it but man do I love the looks. I think the one in the pic has a 03 barrel on it but not sure, the rifling is great. Somebody took some time with this one, the inletting of the stock is first class. Usually can tell a lot by looking at that. All good!

Throwback
04-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Once you have a Krag, you will always have a Krag.

Couldn't agree more! Everything about shooting them is special somehow, especially if the bore is good. It is well mannered and sweet to operate and it really works well in the hunting fields without delivering a blow to the shooter. Like a .30-30 you can literally shoot it all day and enjoy yourself. And it loves to be shot with cast. It is also no big trick to duplicate jacketed performance.

Shooting a Krag takes me back into the past and that is what I am about. Nice Krag!

Kragshooter
04-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Love the looks of that Krag, Throwback, congrats! Hope there's nothin wrong with livin a little bit in the past cause I sure do.

shotman
04-11-2009, 05:49 PM
got one for sale email ragebhardt@msn.com rick

KCSO
04-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I have a new Krag too, I will try to post as soon as it's back together. I had to strip it for cleaning and am going to repoint the checkering, its marked Sedgley!!!

Bret4207
04-12-2009, 09:16 AM
My cutdown Krag still hasn't been shot!!! Boy, I love handling it though. This retirement thing is a lot more work than I figured on! I'm just going to have to make some time for shooting.

Nice looking rifles you guys have!