PDA

View Full Version : OK I'll try it again

Capn Jack
04-11-2009, 12:53 AM
OK I'll try it again. [smilie=1: I bought another LEE 457-340. This time it's a one-holer. As soon as it arrives I'll put it into solvent for a few days and then go over all of the vents with an exacto blade. I'll try it without smoking first to see if it sticks :) If not I guess I'm in business. Did I forget anything?:coffee:

stubshaft
04-11-2009, 01:09 AM
You forgot the "burn't offerings" to the God of Galena.

Good luck

Capn Jack
04-11-2009, 01:25 AM
How about I just flux the lead pot with a little bacon.:roll: I guess the lead's a little too hot when you drop in a lubed boolit , there's a pop and a short column of flame above the pot.[smilie=1:

***:(..Reminder to self....Wear BOTH gloves...[smilie=1:

Nora
04-11-2009, 03:53 AM
***:(..Reminder to self....Wear BOTH gloves...[smilie=1:

Gloves?? Who wears gloves? You mean now we're spose to wear gloves when we do this? :redneck:

Box13
04-11-2009, 04:13 AM
First gloves then I suppose your gonna say I need handles too...!..Robin

Crash_Corrigan
04-11-2009, 05:13 AM
I had an adventure along those lines some years ago. Make sure that you are not holding a hot cup of coffee or a container of an adult beverage when you read this as liquid is not compatible with computer screens or keyboards:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=41217

What can I say, I am a slow learner but I am persistent.

runfiverun
04-11-2009, 12:18 PM
crash everytime i think of that i smile.

Capn Jack
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Crash, :coffee: What a great read (along with the accompanying posts).:mrgreen:

I've been using a "cast-off" pair of my wife's "Ov-Gloves". :-DThey're great for being heat proof, but the lead sticks in the fibre and a hot liquid will soak right through them. [smilie=1:To solve the problem I use a leather glove on my mold hand and the Ov-Glove on my pouring hand.

As for molds without handles...I made one out of an aluminum 2x4 for a 1 1/4" bore cannon I had. Held it closed with a couple of C-clamps. Not exactly mass production, but it worked.:Fire:

stubshaft
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Next thing I know is that you're going to tell us that we should wear SHOES while casting!

docone31
04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Capn Jack, just take the mold, soak it in mineral spirits overnight. Leave it slightly open. On the next day, take it out, put it back in, take it out, put it back in. Let it sit a bit, then let it dry.
Heat the snot out of it in the melt pot, and cast away. If the sprue stays liquid after pouring, let it sit a bit empty.
They are a lot easier than some folks make them. I have never had to etch the vent lines, or rather broach marks. Only an one holer, it will take more heat.

Capn Jack
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Docone31.:mrgreen:
I bought the mold on E-Bay yesterday. Should have it next week. I'll give you an up-date then.:-D

Stubshaft.:roll:
Sometimes even wearing shoes won't help. I had to do a quick burn one day and didn't have my shoe covers on. [smilie=1: Some slag hit the top of my shoe, went inside at the tongue and left a burn all the way across the top of my foot and stopped under my instep. I couldn't get that shoe off fast enough. [smilie=1: You've only got to do that once.:drinks:

dominicfortune00
04-12-2009, 12:28 AM
That's why leather shoes/boots are very important to wear while casting or smelting.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Docone31 has it right, this process works great on Lee molds, Have fun and good luck.

Capn Jack
04-18-2009, 07:38 PM
OK, the new mold is here and I've got it soaking in solvent. :neutral:

Within the first few minutes I noticed little flakes of aluminum in the bottom of the container. [smilie=1: I'll leave it alone until tomorow. :Fire:

Capn Jack
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I went through the cleaning routine, then smoked the mold slightly with a candle.

Brought everything up to temp and gave her a try. First thing I noticed was the mold blocks didn't want to close properly without a little help. That's OK my two- holer is the same. :-( All together I cast about 60 Boolits. Four I didn't get the blocks closed correctly and two were 1/2 a gr. heavier than the rest. Six rejects out of 60, 10%. after sizing. :-( That's a lot better than the two-holer.;)