PDA

View Full Version : What's it all about?

lovedogs
02-16-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm new at this. You can probably tell. I can barely use my computer and this is the first time I've participated in a forum. So I really don't know all about it though I'm starting to get the hang of some of what goes on. For now, I'm wondering what those titles are below our user names... like Boolit Master, Boolit Man, Boolit Bub. Will appreciate your patience in putting up with my ignorance.

Lovedogs

9.3X62AL
02-16-2006, 07:46 PM
It's a descriptor that uses numbers of posts and/or length of time signed onto the site to assign a label. Many "bulletin board" sites have similar sorts of devices.

Don't feel like the only one here who is not gifted with deep computer knowledge. My feet are firmly planted in the late 19th Century when it comes to understanding technology.

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2006, 08:18 PM
lovesdogs, Welcome to the greatest board on the internet. It is so great, that I go happily along in my computer ignorance and leave technicalities to Willy and Ken. Other descriptors are "Cast Boolits Master" for Willy the owner. "Administrator" for Ken "Generous Contributor," self explanatory, and "Moderator" for a few of us, selected for non-Nazi inclinations.

We love dogs too. Bo, the wonder Cockapoo, celebrated his fourteenth birthday the other day.

Frank46
02-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Love dogs, welcome to the asylum. We are not nuts but sometimes it helps. There are a bunch of great people on this board. Sooner or later you will meet them all. Just watch out for the cats and sheep. Frank

Wayne Smith
02-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Alfie? Is it just for the moment, you live? ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

And yet another thread hijacked!

lovedogs
02-17-2006, 07:24 PM
NVcurmudgeon... Thanks for the welcome. Since my retirement I've had more dogs around than people. The first was a Brittany. Great bird dog that ate the wrong thing and had to be put down. A real boo hoo!! Then was a Border Collie/Australian Shepard. He could do everything but answer the phone. Best companion ever. He got a tumor after 10 yrs. and died. His ashes and mine will be mixed and placed on a rock up in the mountains when I go. Now I've got another Border C., a retired Herding Competition dog. She's great, too, but not up to the other I lost. Anyway, this is about bullets so I better quit dogging. Nice to meet another dog man. Look forward to swappin lead learnin' with ya.

Buckshot
02-18-2006, 01:58 AM
................I think a person is allowed one truly exemplary dog in their lifetime. Other good ones come and go, but there will always be that one special one who was here and we got to enjoy for way too short a time. I was lucky enough to have had 'The One' while me and my 2 brothers were growing up.

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
02-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Welcome. Don't let a lack of knowledge get in the way of anything. A couple of band-aides can come in handy though from time to time.

Blackwater
02-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Lovedogs, in case ya' haven't noticed, we DO sometimes stray from the specifics at hand, but that's part of the charm of this board, actually. Most of the time, you get some of the best knowledge and experience on the web here, but sometimes it's a bit like herdin' cats. The general motto seems to be "yeah, we like cast bullets, but ain't nothin' wrong with havin' a little fun now and then, too," and I guess that's one of the things that keeps this site so interesting.

And Buckshot, you're probably right about the "one dog" thing. That was a red setter back in my late high school/early college days. That dog was a quail hunting savant! It took 3 years to train her. To say she was "enthusiastic" would be a heck of an understatement! She was really sensitive, though, and if I even raised my voice at her, it'd just crush her, and she'd be tentative for an hour or two. When I finally got her trained fully (retrieving was her last "lesson"), she got run over later that summer. I was at college, and upon getting the word, cried like a baby, and without the least bit of shame for it, too. Really good dogs come rarely. I've had at least 3. The red setter, above, the old Brittany I have now (age 14), and the Llewellyn Setter (sp?) I have now that was a gift from a friend in VA.

If women loved like dogs do, it'd be a different world, wouldn't it?

And BTW, welcome. Like you, I'm a newbie, or at least I am when it comes to rifles with cast, so you're in good company here.

One tip: When you're really confused here, due to the conflicting advice and experience you'll receive, you're at the point of REAL learning when it comes to cast bullets, and guns in general. You'll understand that before long, so don't worry about it's not making sense right now. It will. You'll have your PhD in casting and shooting sooner than you'd ever expect!

NVcurmudgeon
02-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Buckshot, Yes, for sure there is one dog in a long life that stands head and hsoulders above the rest. I love all my dogs, and there have been many, but a stray named Jack, poodle and springer we guessed, was number one. Like Will Rogers, if dogs don't go to heaven, I'll go where the dogs go. When I get there I'll be glad to see all my dogs, but Jack will be leading the pack. Jack was my constant companion for over ten years, and as a hunter he retreived every kind of bird on land or water. I never lost a bird, not even a dove, hunting with Jack. He did have to drag big geese because he was only 32 lbs.

lovedogs
02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Sounds like I'm in good company... a bunch of dog lovers. But I think I already knew that. Any kind of "gunny" bunch you get with, no matter the discipline, you're always in good company. My girlfriend, if you can imagine an old fart of 58 yrs. with a new gal, gets a kick out of us sometimes. We go to some of our shoots, mine is at buffalo silhouettes (as well as other critters), and dress up like cowboys, pioneers, etc.... just like a bunch of overgrown kids. But it must be contagious 'cuz she just bought her own buffalo rifle and is now talking about "period" clothing for our big annual match we hold each fall. Ain't life grand?

Char-Gar
02-19-2006, 08:13 PM
lovedogs...I want to add to the welcome. The missus will be over with a peach pie pretty soon. I am a pooch fan also, and all of this dog talk reminds of something Mark Twain once said..

"If heaven was based on merit, your dog would go in and you would stay out."

africa
02-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Quote: "his ashes and mine will me mixed and placed on a rock up on the mountains when I go."

Boy, (yes, boy. I'm 59.) you must be a nice guy. As Schoppenhauer said, "the most I know men, the most I praise dogs." I don't agree entirely, but ther's some grains of truth in there...
Wellcome!