PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot's dies...

Finn45
02-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I've been looking for an easy way to get .460"+ dies for some time now. Found the maker few weeks ago and received two sizing dies, .460" and .461" in today's mail. These are made in US, Redlands California and they are very well made. Got two top punches too, one for big flat noses and other for pointy .30 cals or to be epoxy fitted. Thanks Rick, this is super!

http://pyssymiehet.com/casting/dies.jpg

http://pyssymiehet.com/casting/dies2.jpg

SharpsShooter
02-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Finn,

Like you, I received my .460 die from Buckshot a few weeks ago. I just last week had a chance to put mine to use. My Lyman #457125 drops em out at .4595 and I needed a die to just lube em up, so .460 was the item. The quality and workmanship is top drawer and the tolerances are right on the money. :-D

For me, it is less expensive to order from Buckshot than midway due to their silly handling charge and Al Capone shipping rates and I can get the size I need and not be forced to make due with factory selection.

MGySgt
02-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey - Buckshot

These sure look prettier then mine! you do something extra for Export? :>)

The 44 (.432) Buckshot made for me works real well and I don't get any blasted lube in the crimp groove!

I miss quoted the size I needed for my 45/90 and had to do a re-order :<(

Drew

Blacktail 8541
02-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Buckshot, do you do Saeco dies as well? If not would you open up a .409 a little to a true .410 ?

John-n-va
02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Buckshot made a .301 push through die for me and it works PERFECTLY. Fit and finish is better than commercial and I got a size thats available nowhere else. Highly recommended!

txpete
02-17-2006, 10:08 AM
contact info for buckshot ??
thanks
pete

Wayne Smith
02-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Need to make a website, Rick, and get a listing on the bottom of the page!

wills
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
This topic needs a better name. I first glanced at it and thought we lost Buckshot!

“Dies by Mr. Buckshot”, perhaps.

versifier
02-17-2006, 06:14 PM
contact info for buckshot ??
thanks
pete

Go to Members List under "B", or to any of his postings and click on his name.

Finn45
02-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Oh dear, is it that bad? My SWMBO use to make those remarks; easy for her, she's English teacher although not in that profession right now. Well, it's collecting hits pretty nicely, so maybe I just leave it this way. Super Moderator is allowed to edit and plain Moderators as well... Hairy ass or not... HAR! Well, ouch, I hope my intention is clear as wiped *ss? The workmanship is superior for sure.

versifier
02-18-2006, 02:01 AM
No Finn, it's OK and correct, wills just didn't notice the ('s) at the end of the name.
Odd that we have come to use the same word for both - they have roots in two different languages as they have completely different meanings when used as a noun or as a verb. The verb comes from the Old Norse word "deyja", and the noun from the Latin "datum" (given). American English just imports new words and sometimes phrases from other languages whenever it's convenient, that's why the grammar is so difficult even for native speakers. Your writing is always clear and easily understood, much better than many for whom it is the only language they speak and write. I still chuckle over the idea that "bullet jacket" and "diaper" have the same Finnish word! Our local New England slang for diarrhea is "****tin' bullets"....
If you really want to read some seriously butchered English, check out this muzzle loading forum: http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve There are a few members on it that I can't even understand and I write for a living!
Written without the ('s), like "John Smith Dies", it would be a phrase only used in something like a newspaper story, much too cold and almost unforgivably rude to use when speaking of a friend. Especially when he's alive and well! As Mark Twain once said, "Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated."

Buckshot
02-18-2006, 04:50 AM
...........Reijo, thanks for the post. I'm glad you're pleased with them. I'm also very impressed with the transit time via USPS flat rate international envelope. And I suppose the Finn postal service too :-)

Drew, ................his are nicer then yours!? Ha, I dunno, maybe could be I guess. You mean better on the outside or inside? Seriously, what really matters in the end is what happens to the boolit. I've seen RCBS and Lyman dies that looked like they had fine screw threads on the outside. A symptom of fast feeding, but you can get the die bodies cranked out faster that way. Kind of esthetically offending I suppose.

I think Reijo just takes fancy pictures!

Kind of like a 1943 made M91/30 compared to a 1928 Hex reciever M91. Both may shoot as well, but the 1943 exterior makes you mentally say, Eeeech!

I've made die bodies for myself that after polishing to size still show reamer marks. Since polishing knocks off the tops and smooths them, you still eject a boolit with a mirror finish.

Blacktail 8541, ............. I've made exactly ONE Saeco die, and am still waiting for him to get back with me about the threads. I have nothing to try them in and can only cut the right TPI and diameter. An issue could be Saeco's tolerance or thread fit, as there are a bunch of qualifiers. They are a lot more trouble and wastefull of materials then the RCBS and Lyman designs.

Saeco's have a .875" flange and the body is turned down to something like .625" I think it is. You're turning off and loseing a quarter inch of material. Plus that's a lot more turning to do. RCBS and Lymans you use a .750" piece and lose only .045" in turning down the body. Plus on Saeco's you have threads to cut.

Let's just say that right now I'm not advertising the fact that I THINK I can successfully do Saeco's 8) Nor do I have a price set yet. However If you want me to open up your supplied .409" to .410", I can do that. Send me a PM for details.

.....................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
02-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Just curious, how do you open them up? Do you use a reamer or boring bar of similar. I don't have a lathe, but have always been interested.

kenjuudo
02-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Rick, I'm impressed, anyone can punch the keys on a piano, some can even hit them in the right order and at the right tempo, but not everyone is a musician.

I have ham-fisted "machinists" working for me that can't get that quality of work off a manual lathe.

jim

MGySgt
02-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Buckshot - no offense intended - He does take better pictures then I do. I am estactic with the 44 die.

I sat down last night to size up 'just a few' and the next think I knew, there were 200 done.

No leaking of lube out of the top, no messy bases and best of all no lube any place I didn't want it.

I KNOW where I am going to get any sizer dies that I may need in the future, I may even have you make some that work OK.

They are far superior to what Lyman and RCBS put out and I know your tolerances are a whole lot better then both Lyman and RCBS dies. I have a .430 lyman that sizes to .432+. That is .002 over what it is suppose to be with WW - how much bigger would it be with Lyman #2 or Lino? I don't think it would chamber in my SBH!

I apoligize if you took offense - it was not intended.

Drew

Buckshot
02-19-2006, 05:37 AM
...............Jim, high praise indeed from you, a REAL machinist. Thank you.

...............Drew, none taken at all. I try to send out good looking stuff if at all possible. As I said I've made dies for myself which still show reamer marks and they work fine. I wouldn't send one out looking like that, but they're good enough for who's using them, and who knows whence they came, me! 8)

It is gratifying and rather humbleing at the same time that people appreciate something you're made. Regardless what it is or who did it, a little of the person goes out with each one, if they care about it.

...............Buckshot

wills
02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
I wonder if Lindstrums’ ferroso-ferric oxide finish would affect the dimensions of those dies?

45nut
02-19-2006, 12:38 PM

It is gratifying and rather humbleing at the same time that people appreciate something you're made. Regardless what it is or who did it, a little of the person goes out with each one, if they care about it.

...............Buckshot

That's the issue,personal pride and integrity. Why serve up a piece of garbage? Why avoid at all costs doing the right thing because,basically.."its the right thing to do?"

NVcurmudgeon
02-19-2006, 01:36 PM
As a crossword enthusiast, or maybe just because it's fun, I am interested in word origins. I imagine that the first Englishman to wander in the mountains thought, "look how many mountains, they sure go a long way." So, impressed with the extent of the mountains, he called them a "range." OTOH, the first Spaniard to see a mountain was impressed with how jagged the peaks were, so he called the range a "sierra" because it looked like a saw to him. And we wonder why words don't translate exactly between languages!

Lest, I be accused of hijacking a thread, I am also a beneficiary of Buckshot's excellent workmanship. In making a new sprue plate for one of my moulds, I am sure that Buckshot used a SIERRA to cut the metal. And as we live in two different states, this was a long-RANGE deal.

carpetman
02-19-2006, 01:45 PM
NVCurmud---Bill,what about the Frenchmen when they saw the Grand Tetons? Tetons means tits---they looked like a giant pair to a couple of Frenchmen and were so named and most don't realize the origin.

NVcurmudgeon
02-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Ray, there's a story from about fifty years ago about an airline passenger who saw the Grand Tetons from the plane window. He asked the stewardess what the name meant and she answered, Sweater Girl Mountains!"

drinks
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Carpetman;
What else would you expect from some Frenchmen?
They are permanately arrested at the 16 year old level, emotionally, remember what it was like at 16?
I do and I am past 65!
;D