PDA

View Full Version : H&R Buffalo Classic

wizzbang
04-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I am looking to find out how the H&R Buffalo Classic rifle is. I am looking to get started in BPCR, however, my wallet will not allow a Sharps copy. I would like some advice if the H&r is good quality, and if I can use it till I can afford a better rifle.:confused:

R. Dupraz
04-10-2009, 08:23 PM
wizzbang:

Well it depends on exactly what type of BPCR matches you intend to use it in. Don't think it would qualify for the silhouett but it might for the BPCR target and it most definately would for BPCR gong/buff shoots. At least the ones that I shoot.

I know some shooters who use them and do well with the 45-70 and 38-55. So it sounds like a plan to me. All you need to do is to mount a long range tang sight on the wrist of the stock and maybe add a little weight to the rifle. Go for it. It's a great game.

Regards
RD

redneckdan
04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I have one in .45-70 Its more accurate than i am. I KTW on this forum lives over near you. He works over in alberta during the week and we sometimes get together to shoot. If ya ever make it over this way I'd be glad to let you give 'er a try.

largom
04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Go for the Buffalo! Mine is VERY accurate and fun to shoot.
Larry

phaessler
04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Great rifle, and accurate, with black or smokeless. But not legal for NRA BPCR shoots, I think the Sharps owners are afraid to get out performed by a less expensive rifle, so they use the excuse its a modern firearm. But they are accurate and fun, not to mention reasonable.
There is a few forums around just for them too
Pete

Freightman
04-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Great rifle, and accurate, with black or smokeless. But not legal for NRA BPCR shoots, I think the Sharps owners are afraid to get out performed by a less expensive rifle,
Pete
Have both and not a penny worth of difference in accuracy with the 300=405 gr boolit but the Sharps does bettr with the 450-500 gr boolits. May be the heavy Sharps has less recoil with the larger boolits, the Buffalo Classic can be quite brutal with the 500+ boolits.

SharpsShooter
04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Typically they are fine rifles. A close friend has one and it will shoot right with my C. Sharps and both of my Rolling Blocks and they group under 2" at 100 yards.

Tang sights can be easily mounted or scope if you like..

SS

boommer
04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
The sights are the only thing that will limit you on that rifle out of the box. I have one and shoot a lot. Handles 500gr slugs fine with black.

GLL
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
SharpsShooter:

Is the scope a modern one or an antique? If modern, who made it ?

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/422A6C7EF25AA74/orig.jpg

SharpsShooter
04-13-2009, 12:55 PM
SharpsShooter:

Is the scope a modern one or an antique? If modern, who made it ?

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/422A6C7EF25AA74/orig.jpg

Once upon a time Dixie Gun Works sold those brass scopes. They were 4X with fine crosshairs and used a Malcolm type mount. Dixie no longer lists them and R.H.O. or Malcolm are about the only game in town and they are not cheap. Occasionally I see them on gunbroker or gunsamerica (the Dixie) for $200 or a little less.

SS

marlinman93
04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I happen to know that particular scope and mounts personally. It is a HACCO, who made them for Tasco. The mounts are not the cheap junk Tasco or HACCO sold with their scopes that were heavy, crude, cast brass. They are aluminum with brass adjusting screws and locking rings.
I've got another set sitting in a box under my bench, built by the same maker.