PDA

View Full Version : Saginaw 30 Caliber Carbine

Ron B.
04-10-2009, 05:39 PM
A couple of months ago; wife acting sweet, we headed north. The plan was for her to do a little shopping in Pueblo. When we got there, I knew already Big Sports was having a sale. So, I left the wife to ramble in the mall; I went to Big Sports. They only had three, M1 Carbines! And, just one Saginaw! $625! I bought it; hiding my New Thrill in the back of the FJ.

The wife; she's smart. Opened the back right up! Saw the "not too long" box." "You bought a gun; didn't you?" Things didn't go too well thereafter. :Fire:

Anyway, here's a few photos. I finally got a chance to reload a few. Excuse the photo, I'm a cap popper; not a pansy bagg photo taker. :drinks:

Poygan
04-10-2009, 06:03 PM
If I were to venture a guess, your carbine will go up in value. Could she say the same thing about the stuff (I assume) she bought that day???

Jack Stanley
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
You mean that ........ she , didn't offer to buy the other two for you as well ???? The nerve of that woman !! Well , keep her around , I'm sure she will come around one of these days huh? [smilie=1:

Jack

KCSO
04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I had a purty lil gun like that I sure wouldn't use it for a target!

Four Fingers of Death
04-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Sweet thang!!!

Ron B.
04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey Guys!
Yep, this wife of mine; nice until guns are seen, or mentioned!
Can any of you related? Lol! :coffee:

The M1 Carbine; not really known for being very accurate. At least, by my own observations-experiences. This one does pretty good. That's 20 shots from 60 yards with military sights, and poor eyes! Strange, my last two groups, shooting two different rifles have both been high, to the right? I'm going to have to think about switching hands with my Coors Light, I suppose! [smilie=w: [smilie=s:

The five shot group, bottom bull's-eye is from Federal factory loads. I wanted to compare my reloads with them statistically; shooting through my chronograph. Those things shot hot; averaging nearly 2000fps. Blame the 6800 foot altitude.

GRB

Larry Gibson
04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
You might talk her into shooting the M1 carbine. They are fun, light weight, minimal recoil and fit most woman really well. I found most all woman love to shoot them. Drawback is it will cost you more $s as she will think that M1 Carbine is "hers" and you will have to get another one for yourself!

Larry Gibson

Mike Venturino
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I've got an original WW2 M1 by Winchester and an M2 conversion that started as a Saginaw and then a Saginaw barreled action in a reproduction M1A1 stock. Both of the Saginaws are more accurate than the Winchester. They're also more accurate than the three Underwoods and one Inland than I had in the past. I've gotten so when I want to shoot .30 Carbine I turn to the Saginaw in the M1A1 stock most often. I sure like those little carbines.

When we were planning to get married 31 years ago I vowed to Yvonne that I would never take money from any salary that I made to use for guns. And I never have. But I also said that any money I made on the side "wheeling & dealing" was mine to do with as I please. She agreed. So when I came home last year and told her I was going to buy a machine gun that cost more than our first house all she said was "That's nice, dear."

MLV

StarMetal
04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
About two summers ago I picked me up a National Postal Meter with match serial numbered stock. Have only shot cast out of it and it shoots those pretty dang good. In fact I only hopes it shoot jacketed as well as the cast. Best part is got it for little over $200. Boy I sneaked that in before prices went up.

Joe

leadman
04-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Hard to tell what powder charge you were using, or were these variuos amounts for testing? I've had the best grouping with 14.5grs. W296 with the Remington 110gr. SP.
If you go to the CMP website there is an article on obtaining the most accurracy out of an M-1 Carbine. The 15 gr. load of W296 is too hot though. The info on recoil plate and barrel band is good though.
Still overall a decent grouping though. I'm sure you are having fun.

leadman
04-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Mike Venturino, would that be the machine gun you are shooting in the latest Rifle magazine? Looks like you are having fun.

Mike Venturino
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
leadman: Yes, that's the one. The first one I bought and was able to take possession up in March 2008. By the way that photo shows me shooting it right in my front yard. Isn't Montana grand!

Interesting, my very best .30 Carbine load is 14.5 grains of H110 which is simply W296 in a different can. It gives best results for me with any of the Speer/Sierra/Hornady 110 grain soft points.

MLV

Larry Gibson
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Mike

When I was still on active duty and OPS NCO for a SF company we had 20 very nice M2 Carbines. Besides lots of issue ammo I also put lots of cast 311359s over 13.5 gr H110 or 313631s over 14 gr of H110 through many of them. Also shot a lot of 110 j bullets with that same load you use. We had a 50 foot indoor range that was rated to .44 mag or 2000 fps. Made some interesting shooting with the arms room I had full of foreign and obsolete US weapons. Of course we shot them at Fort lewis and Yakima TC and a few other places during training. Lot's of fun.

Larry Gibson

Ron B.
04-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Up here in the mountains of Southern Colorado, elevation 6800 feet almost everything shoots hot. As you can see in the photo, depicting my box of ammo 11 grains of W296 under a Remington 110 FMJ bullet produces a little over 1600 fps averages. COL is 1.68. I like the load; being fortunate to have found it on my very first reloading session for the 30 Carbine. It's effective; and easy on my rifle. This weekend, I reloaded another 100 rounds using 10.5 gns of Accurate #9-COL 1.67. The load averages 1626fps. Both loads appears keepers; at least, to me.

I'm anxious to try out some cast bullets in my Carbine; anyone have any suggestions?

About allowing my wife to shoot:
She won't do it. :Fire:

GRB

jonk
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
For cast, the Lee 130 gr GC mold does just fine for me.

C1PNR
04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
For cast in my Standard Products I like 12 or 13 gr of H4227 and the Ideal 311359 pointed gas check boolit.

Very reliable function and "minute of carbine" accuracy.:-D

hydraulic
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
I keep a loaded magazine handy for my Underwood; woodchucks, skunks, and whatever. Grandkids coming to visit so I hide the magazine. Can't find it. Haven't shot the Underwood for 6 months.

donnis
04-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Good looking little shooter. I just picked up an Inland a couple of months ago at a gun show, then last month picked up a universal (I know, I know, but it was $350 out the door :)). Been getting together brass and got some boolits cast, checked and lubed. Need to work up a load and shoot em. I've kind of got the bug for a Blackhawk in .30 carbine now, too. :)

StarMetal
04-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Good looking little shooter. I just picked up an Inland a couple of months ago at a gun show, then last month picked up a universal (I know, I know, but it was $350 out the door :)). Been getting together brass and got some boolits cast, checked and lubed. Need to work up a load and shoot em. I've kind of got the bug for a Blackhawk in .30 carbine now, too. :)

Be prepared for a really really loud muzzle blast from that Blackhawk if you get one. Even the little 30 caliber pistols like the 7.62x25 Tokarev, 30 Mauser, and 30 Luger are ear blasters.

Joe

leadman
04-15-2009, 01:37 AM
donnis, I had a Universal and it was a very good shooter, once I took the action out of the stock and stepped on the barrel to "adjust" the point of impact. What I liked is you could turn the gas piston around and make a straight pull bolt action out of it. Saved having to chase the brass.

Ron B.
04-15-2009, 06:38 AM
I had a Universal and it was a very good shooter, once I took the action out of the stock and stepped on the barrel to "adjust" the point of impact.

Now, that's funny! I remember, as a kid my grandfather wrapping a 22 Remington semi-auto around a tree. Seems, my aunt hit someone's house shooting birds. That rifle never shot the same afterwards! :Fire::Fire:

leadman
04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, it was a gun show bargain!

Rodfac
04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Golden..."Strange, my last two groups, shooting two different rifles have both been high, to the right?" I've had similar "walking groups" with three of my carbines. I've found that the recoil plate screw loosens at first. For two of the three, I get my best results if the recoil plate screw is tight with the fore end screw backed off, 1/2 turn from full tight. Go figure! Too, none of mine will allow use of the sling...it walks the groups around. For loads, I like 13.5 gr's of Bartlett's 820 reclaimed powder (about AA9 in burning speed) and any good 110 gr bullet. I too found the CMP recommended load of 15.0 gr of 296, too hot. Ejection patterns varied at that level and velocity went over 2050 fps. 14.5 gr worked better and accuracy was 3-4" at 100 yds. All of the above were assembled in GI LC-71 brass, trimmed to the minimum length and capped with Win SR primers. I keep the bullets seated .010" below maximum length. HTH's Rodfac