PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mold Lubrication

jlh
04-10-2009, 03:00 PM
What is a good lube for lubing the sprue-bushing, locator-pins and v-blocks on Lee molds? I do not have any of the bullet-lube, which Lee recommends. I only have liquid-alox and the mold instructions caution against using this. I have all forms of wheel-bearing and lithium-based, white grease. Would these work? If not, what would? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

billyb
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Go to the bottom of the page click on bullshop and order some of bullshop's bull plate. It is the best. You can use antisize, I used it until i learned about billplate. Bill

mooman76
04-10-2009, 07:21 PM
What Billyb said. In the mean time I've used WD-40 before. Any good high temp lube should be ok.

MtGun44
04-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Bullplate. End of discussion.

Accept no substitutes.
There is no equal.

Everything else I ever tried burned on and made a mess, didn't lube that well anyway.

************** NOTE FOR ADMIN FOLKS ***************

OK, this one is getting asked about 3 times a week.

I think the stickies aren't cutting it for a lot of the really basic stuff like Bullplate.

I know that there is no one answer for most questions, but some (like this) are
pretty cut an dried.

Would a "Casting Basics FAQ" be a good thing to add to the site? I can help
write a few where I know something.

Bill

HeavyMetal
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I think the basic FAQ is a dern good idea!

Heavy lead
04-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Bullplate for not only Lee, but all moulds.
No, I don't own stock.
No, Daniel didn't pay me to say it.
Yes, you can cast without it.
Yes, it is much easier with it.
Yes, buy some, make sure you have q-tips on the bench, follow instructions, and your life will be easier.

Springfield
04-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Bullplate. I cast a few thousand a week and it is the best thing I have tried. Doesn't build up, easy to use and if it gets into a cavity it doesn't take forever for it to stop ruining the bullet, maybe 2-3 casts. Keeps you from damaging your aluminum moulds. www.bullshop.gunloads.com Don't forget to buy 2 as you will probably knock over the first one and lose a lot of it!

opentop
04-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Bullplate

Mallard57
04-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I know I need to get some Bullplate and I will, but, right now I'm using anti seize and it seems to work alright. I still want the Bullplate though.
Jeff

Bret4207
04-12-2009, 08:48 AM
There are lots of stickies already, but they're spread around. A FAQ type area is a good idea.