PDA

View Full Version : More insanity on flea-bay

hammerhead357
04-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I was looking for some shell plates for my Hornady L-N-L and was shocked by some of the prices. There were 2 different listings for #16 shell plates for the 223, one of the auctions was at $102.50 and the other was at $69.00, then there was a #45 that was at $61.00.

What I am missing here, I thought that about $30.00 or so was normal for these plates, is there an unusual shortage of these or are the bidders just going crazy?????Wes

Heavy lead
04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Heck, I saw 10 LNL bushings for for 135 dollars last week plus shipping. Normally they are 35 bucks for 10.
Ebay and the Ebay system has become a "false" market that preys on the competitive gamble weekness everyone has. Secret is, just like with a one armed bandit, is to know when to walk away. Kind of makes you wonder how bad inflation would get if the whole economy was like ebay. Would make a great case study. Urgency is always a huge selling tool for anyone (look at the reloading componant industry as an example) and Ebay creates it by definition. Some items on Ebay can flat out be stolen, some are simple ripoffs. Makes you wonder how many of the Ebay items are re-auctioned over and over.
Let's be careful out there.

reloaders4you
04-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I SOLD A SET OF DAMAGED LEE CARBIDE 9X18 MAK DIES FOR $45, SEEMED HIGH, SO I CHECK MIDWAY. BRAND NEW $26.95 IT MAKES NO SENSE. THIS IS A FEAR BASED MARKET. NOT KNOWING WHAT WILL CHANGE(I HATE THE WORD CHANGE) IN THE FUTURE i.e. LAWS AND SUCH. CRAZY

Shiloh
04-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Heck, I saw 10 LNL bushings for for 135 dollars last week plus shipping. Normally they are 35 bucks for 10.
Ebay and the Ebay system has become a "false" market that preys on the competitive gamble weekness everyone has. Secret is, just like with a one armed bandit, is to know when to walk away. Kind of makes you wonder how bad inflation would get if the whole economy was like ebay. Would make a great case study. Urgency is always a huge selling tool for anyone (look at the reloading componant industry as an example) and Ebay creates it by definition. Some items on Ebay can flat out be stolen, some are simple ripoffs. Makes you wonder how many of the Ebay items are re-auctioned over and over.
Let's be careful out there.

That's right.

If folks get caught up in these bidding wars or are of the mentality that "they have to have it" they deserve that they get ripped-off.

I lose most auctions on ebay. I know what stuff goes for new, if it is available as new, and bid accordingly. Antique or out of production items are a different story, but the rules still apply. If someone wins an old well used IDEAL mold for $150 plus shipping, it doesn't affect me one bit.

Shiloh