PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check Question

Milton
04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Is there a way to fix gas checks to a bevel base cast bullet? If so just what is needed to do this?

Hurricane
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
There is no way to fix a gas check to a bevel base bullet. A gas check bullet has a reduced diameter at the heel of the bullet to allow the gas check to fit on and still be the same diameter as the rest of the bullet. There is no need for a gas check on a bevel base bullet. Those bullets are intended to use at moderate speed, say not over about 1200 fps. At those speeds no gas check is needed.

MT Gianni
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Superglue has been reported to work. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48857
If you read the above thread you will see that with a bb boolit you may not gain much out of using checks.

Larry Gibson
04-09-2009, 07:09 PM
If the bullet has a long really tapered bevel and the base of the bullet seats into the GC then they can be applied like any othe GC. I've done it with numerous commercial .357, .41, .44 and .45 cast bullets. Also a punch can be made to flair the edges of the GC farther apart so the beveled base will fit into the GC. Setting the GC on a hard ingot of lino and swaging the edges out with the punch and a mallet is easy. I've had good performance from such bullets using both methods. Easier to use the appropriate GC designed mould though.

Larry Gibson

Milton
04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone ! I had seen on the net somewhere this could be done but I could not remember where.These bullets are .313 diameter used in a revolver.The problem I have is if I use 296 powder I get no leading at 1200 FPS but if I load to 1200 with Unique I get forcing cone leading that gradually spreads up the bore.I was hoping to fit gas checks to stop this leading with Unique.

Firebird
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm shocked:roll:, Nobody suggested putting the bullet in a lathe and turning a proper shank for the gas check. [smilie=1:

JIMinPHX
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm shocked:roll:, Nobody suggested putting the bullet in a lathe and turning a proper shank for the gas check. [smilie=1:

Or swaging the shank.