PDA

View Full Version : JPW substitute

xxclaro
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I have been unable to track down any Johnsons paste wax, and am wondering if there's a good substitute that I can use. If I understand correctly,the carnauba wax is what we're after,so perhaps some of the car type wax's would work? I wanted the JPW so I could tumble lube the bullets,as that's the molds that I have. Is there any other lube,besides LLA,that will work? Maybe the JPW is still available in the U.S,but I think it might be gone out here.

legend
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
i have used trewax it has a high carnuba content and has worked for me.

docone31
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Most car waxes will do. I use it on my paper patches.

mtgrs737
04-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I have found Johnson's paste wax at Walmart, Ace Hardware, True-Value Hardware, if you haven't looked there. Most car waxes use a mild abrasive to polish off the oxidation on the paint film. It is a soft abrasive but you may not want it in your barrel. Good luck!

andrew375
04-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I use Briwax. Works good sealing in the moly on molyed j bullets.

odoh
04-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Home Depot carries JPW ~

TREERAT
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Which is better, treewax or johnsons paste? which has a higher carnuba content?

odoh
04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Which is better, treewax or johnsons paste? which has a higher carnuba content?

Personally, not sure. Don't see carnuba mentioned on the JPW can as content ~

ON EDIT: After posting this, I googled w/mixed result but came accrossed their toll-free number and inquired. They did confirm carnuba content but their ref didn't specify %. In looking at an MSD sheet for JPW http://www.k-state.edu/facilities/storeroom/msds01/Johnson%20Paste%20Wax%20016094.pdf it would appear to be 5 ~ 10 % carnuba by wgt. Assuming the 75 ~ 85% hydrocarbon solvents evaporates, then it constitutes 33 ~ 50%? I'm grasping here ~ someone else that knows something pls jump in.

jameslovesjammie
04-10-2009, 05:00 AM
I bought my JPW at Menards.

Ian Robertson
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Is this to mix with liquid alox lube? Why not use it straight? What does the jpw do for it?

Jack Stanley
04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Ian , I'm not certain why mixing the two would help . I have noticed , if I use an extremely light coating of liquid alox , then a heavier one of the paste wax . The bullets don't feel near as tacky .

Jack

odoh
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Is this to mix with liquid alox lube? Why not use it straight? What does the jpw do for it?

May be best to do a search as there is much info avail. I do recall one instance of someone usine 1:4 ratio of bees wax w/JPW tho. Was thinking about starting off w/that but really wanting to use in my lubrisizer

runfiverun
04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
the 4:1 ratio of jpw to bees wax is a good swirl lube, but it dries up too much for a lubesizer.
you have to heat it up in the microwave everytime you want to use it as a swirl lube.
for pistol loads lars's red does fine.
and for rifle loads, b-wax 4 parts to 1 alox 350,one part candle wax [the scented type.]mix the b-wax mix to red 2:1 when it is cooling i add lanolin.about a teaspoon per three sticks worth.
looking for a cooled lube with maleability,tackyness,and slipperyness.
with more densness than the red.

Boerrancher
04-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Ian,

I use to use JPW on all pistol loads and then a light coat of LLA with a coat of JPW over the top of that to keep it from being sticky. After a while I gave up on the LLA for rifles and started using 3 heavy coats of JPW on my 30 cal Rifle boolits. I have found that with the proper boolit size and a gas check I can reach 2500 fps with 150 to 180 gr boolits out of my 03A3 Springfield. The springfield has nearly 500 rounds through it with no leading and it shoots sub MOA groups. There has not been a cleaning rod in it since I started shooting straight JPW. I have posted some of those groups and load data on other threads. I don't expect these results to be typical as this is a two grove bore that really seems to like lead. I do get 2200 fps with the same boolits out of my mod 94 30-30, which seems to be typical.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Windy City Kid
04-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Does JPW smoke less than liquid alox lube?

Bill*
04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Lowes carries JPW too

whisler
04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
If you have a Home Depot near by, check the cleaning aisle. I work in a small HD and I know we have it in the cleaning aisle

Lucky Joe
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I couldn't find JPW but I did find Turtle Wax. Now I'm wondering about abrasiveness.

TDC
04-11-2009, 03:59 AM
If you're looking for pure 100% Carnauba wax, Maguiar's and "Mothers" both market it in the paste as well as the liquid form. It contains no abrasives or unusual additives and can be found in the automotive sections of many stores... I use it exclusively on my cars too..... good stuff!!

keeber
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Along the same lines as Mother's and Meguiar's... we sell KIT wax, yellow tin, and it's reputed to be very close to 100% Carnuba wax... just has softeners to make it a paste.

xxclaro
04-12-2009, 02:11 PM
SO, do these carnauba waxes work as well as the JPW? I'm just wondering why the JPW is the prefered wax. If carnauba is what we're after, it seems there's better choices out there. If it's not,than what is it exactly that makes the JPW so good? I'm sure I can find Mothers and
Meguiars,maybe a few of the others.

Ian Robertson
04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
It sounds like JPW or equiv. on a Lee tumble lube projectile for general pistol use would be as good a lube as any and would dry non sticky? How many coats?

TDC
04-13-2009, 02:32 AM
As everyone on this thread can see, many of the non-traditional lubes are in the "testing and experimental" stage. I believe most boolit casters will be best served sticking to the traditional lubricants until more testing on this board takes place. JPW has great potential but varying results. Many people swear by it and I respect their opinions.

I'm currently playing with Meguiars 100% carnauba for large magnum pistol calibers (44mag and 50 mag). I'm getting different results with .41, .44 and.50 depending on alloy, velocity, powder, GC or none... etc, etc. Certainly not enough info to determine universal applications.

I made an earlier post on this thread about this wax. Mothers and Meguiars market two types of caranuba paste wax. Some are labeled "Carnauba with Cleaner." If you don't want the abrasives you want the product without the cleaner. I don't believe creamy wax in any form would be applicable for our purposes.

Do a search on "JPW" and read all the available material. Then settle on a formula you like and join the "experimenters."

JMHO....

TC